Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pressure point

Block Paving Cleaning
« on: July 05, 2005, 07:13:02 pm »
Hi, I have recently started in business pressure washing block paving and driveways etc.  Just a few questions if anyone can help....
1. What method do you use to remove the grass/weeds that are rooted inbetween the paves. 
2. What/how do you remove the waste dirt. 
3.  What forms of advertising do you find most effective, I have tried local papers but with not much response, also do quite a lot of leaflet drops when time.
Feel there is a lot of potential customers in my local area (w yorks) with not many competitors, but still not getting enough work in what should be the busiest time of year.
Very grateful for any help/advise
Thanks
Dan

TERRY AB

Re: Block Paving Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 07:57:42 am »
With the right type of Jet you should be able to cut way the grass as you are cleaning, otherwise I would suggest you inform the customer that grass removal is extra; either use a Burner or scratch it out with a gardeners knife of use weed killer chemicals.
To remove the dirt I use a water vacumm and and suck it up with the excess water, then chuck it on the customes compost heap.
I think the Yellow pages would be good for this, bit expensive but i find quite effective. Also ask your new customers to pass on a recommendation to their friends.
Try canvassing, offer potential customers a demo area of their driveway, when they see the difference they cant say no.
Use laeflets with a before and after picture. More effective.

dougster

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 03:32:41 pm »
i have a water extraction vac for sale contact me on dougies49@hotmail.com

misterrartois

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 04:00:13 pm »
Hiya pressure point

This is my first post.I am also just starting out in the wonderful world of jet washing (dont worry ,im down south lol)and am also wondering the best way to advertise...did you have much success with the leaflet drops?Or was Newspaper advertising better?Ive even put an Ad in my local Parish booklet..with some good success,i suggest you may want to try that too?
 Cant beat doing work for the locals!

I would be interested in your response.

Lee

preston powerblast

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 10:13:30 pm »
I'm a new business but I put an add in the yellow Pages some time ago.
I found it useless, Local press works for me.
But you cant beat the old word of mouth.
I have very high standards and so long as you stick to them you cant go wrong.
I use a turbo nozzle with hot water for the weeds, any excess I use a chemical lance on a low fan which I wash down with, I get all dirt and debris to the nearest drain.
What collects there I usually bag and put in the customers bin.
But taking everything to the drain there is a danger you could block it, so I invested in a drain jetter.

Steve N

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 07:40:39 pm »
Hello pressure point.
I have done some driveway cleans, but the biggest problem I think is WATER.

As I don't have a water bowser to tow behind my vehicle.

I have to be cheeky and ask the lady of the house to let me use her water supply, I have also had to take a Dozen 25ltr barrels with me, and keep filling a plastic dustbin. Pain in the butt...

Do you find customers let you use their supply or do you have to take yours with you.

Cheers steve

Andy Foster

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 10:12:49 pm »
Hi there.

I am now in my second year of doing this kind of work and have found it a lot busier this year than last.

Don't expect to be busy straight away as it takes a while for word to get round... this is by far the best advertising there is.
I have had more work from referral than by any other method.

When I first started, I did friend's and family's drives for free and their neighbours soon wanted theirs done... it builds from there.

Good luck with everything... try to get some other kind of jobs organised for the winter time... last year was frighteningly slow for me (I mean REALLY frightening), but I have stuff sorted for this year and should be OK through the 'lean' months.
Just don't want you to suffer like I did and a good many others have in the early days.

You could try some of the following:
New build cleans
Letting Agents
Graffiti removal
Local factories
and loads more ideas if you are interested.

Good luck and don't get downhearted if it doeasn't happen straight away.

Andy

PS - Always keep my header tank filled from customer's water supply and never had anyone question it.

geefree

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:02:22 pm »
hi gary
so you back again eh.. how the hell did you manage to put that post on here when its nearly a year old. (sept 2005)... always knew you were a clever bloke but..... lol

Beth Morris

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:19:58 pm »
Bare in mind that it is against EU regulation to wash away effluent down a standard surface drain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFNtoM1tB4g