Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nathankaye

gardiner b/pack charger help
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:47:24 pm »

Ive had my back pack for maybe a couple of months (without getting my receipt out to kno for sure when) now. Mostly purchased for getting into render cleaning,  though i have not used it for this yet. So its been used sparingly, hence battery life has lasted. Infact all indicator lights (when being used) are all still lit. But i plan on using it more next wk for windows, as a fellow shiner n friend will be joining me (hopefully to win him over to wfp).
So ive come to charge it. When i plug in the charger supplied, without connecting it to the b/pack, the green light indicator is on and you can hear the charger buzzing. I then connect to bpack and turn on, i have a red light on charger, no noticeable sounds and no light indicators on bpack lit up.
Im guessing this isnt right, but i decided to leave it like this, but 4hrs later, no change. So concluding the charger is as flimsy as it looks and i have wasted last 4hrs.
Would i be right in saying this and any solutions? (Done a search on here and saw how someone may/may not have used a 240v laptop charger n blew his back pack up)
Thanks in advance for any advice, or is it simply to contact Alex for a new charger?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

SeanK

Re: gardiner b/pack charger help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:23:13 am »
Sounds like the battery is dead, same thing happened to me when I didn't keep my trolley battery topped up.
Don't know if you can remove the Gardiner backpack battery easily but with all these batteries they are best removed when
not being used for long periods as when connected they will drain to the point of damage.

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:27:57 am »
Just read again, does the backpack charge when turned on ? I know some equipment wont.

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:28 am »
This'll be interesting to know as iv just bought one but don't use it that often so I won't need to charge mine for quite a while as well , hope my battery doesn't go dead

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 08:06:25 am »
Cheers guys for replies.
Battery not dead in this case, so you should be ok shrek. I just wanted to make sure battery was topped up. I was using it yesterday and worked well.
In the end i left it for a little longer and noticed the light changed to green on the charger. Im taking it the unit had charged, not turned back pack on yet to comfirm, as just rolled out of bed  ;D (day off).  Think i was a bit eager to think it wasnt working due to the flimsiness of charger. But will comfirm later that unit is fully charged.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:38:33 am »
When you plug the charger into the backpack it will show an orange (on ours anyway) led light on the charger. When you switch the 230v plug on then it goes to red indicating the battery is charging.

Leave it until the light on the charger goes back to orange (on our charger anyway.) If this is the first time you have charged your backpack then that battery is going to need a long charge.  It was probably only half charged when you bought it.

The battery indicator on the backpack only work when the packback is switched on and being used. It doesn't work when the battery is being charged.

Charger looks more robust than some I've had. It has a good heavy duty plug that goes into the backpack for charging.

-
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:03:44 am »
I had the same issue when I bought a new pf trolley many moons ago.  Turned out that the charger connector that goes into the pf trolley they put on themselves was wired up the wrong way.

I would not mess about with either the bpack or charger and contact alex directly as both are still under guarantee.

Og

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 02:53:27 pm »
It sounds like yours is charging as it should. Red =charging
Green = fully charged/not charging.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »
I just bought a new charger from  Gardiners and must admit I did find it a bit disconcerting too when I plugged it in and switched on at mains and it buzzed. :-\

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 12:35:19 pm »
I just bought a new charger from  Gardiners and must admit I did find it a bit disconcerting too when I plugged it in and switched on at mains and it buzzed. :-\
Update - just gone to re charge my back pack with new charger and smoke started coming out of it  :o and that awful buzzing sound  >:(

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 01:20:56 pm »
That don't sound good  Barry.
Do you mean smoke was coming from the charger, backpack or both?

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 02:38:17 pm »
That don't sound good  Barry.
Do you mean smoke was coming from the charger, backpack or both?
The charger