This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

8weekly

Transit Custom & Split Charge Relay
« on: July 31, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
I have a split charge in a Boxer van and I've just had one fitted to a Transit Custom. My question is this - when I start the Transit engine, the controller shows no increase in volts in the leisure battery, but in the Boxer, it instantly shows a full charge when the engine is started. Is there a problem with the split charger? I should say it was only fitted yesterday so I've just tested it for the first time with the engine running. I did see a previous thread on here on this a year or two ago when I searched.  I don't have Start - Stop. It's the basic van - no aircon.

Spruce

Re: Transit Custom & Split Charge Relay
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:24:49 pm »
When the van's engine is idling, put a multimeter across the starter battery and see if the starter battery is charging.

Ford state that the Custom has "Other technologies, such as Smart Regenerative Charging, also help make the all-new Transit’s powerful new engines even more fuel-efficient."

If your van has Smart Regenerative Charging then this is the issue. The ECU will only signal the alternator to start charging the van's starter battery when it drops to 80% charged. Ford have left the other 20% of battery charge to be replenished when decelerating.

I understand that the way to overcome this is to fit a smart battery to battery charger. Sterling products have led the field in this technology but these units aren't cheap.

The battery to battery charger senses when your leisure battery needs charging and draws the current required from the starter battery to do this. Once the starter battery gets down to 80% then the vans alternator takes over.

https://www.grippatank.co.uk/full-kit-12v-30amp-smart-battery-to-battery-charger

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/sterling-pro-batt-ultra-battery-to-battery-charger-12v12v-30a.html

-
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

slap bash

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »
There has been a question before about this problem. I cannot remember what the out come as I drive a connect.  But remember a Split charger would only charge your leisure battery after the van battery is fully charged.This is what I understand who they work. Try doing a search on the subject.

8weekly

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:40:48 pm »
When the van's engine is idling, put a multimeter across the starter battery and see if the starter battery is charging.

Ford state that the Custom has "Other technologies, such as Smart Regenerative Charging, also help make the all-new Transit’s powerful new engines even more fuel-efficient."

If your van has Smart Regenerative Charging then this is the issue. The ECU will only signal the alternator to start charging the van's starter battery when it drops to 80% charged. Ford have left the other 20% of battery charge to be replenished when decelerating.

I understand that the way to overcome this is to fit a smart battery to battery charger. Sterling products have led the field in this technology but these units aren't cheap.

The battery to battery charger senses when your leisure battery needs charging and draws the current required from the starter battery to do this. Once the starter battery gets down to 80% then the vans alternator takes over.

https://www.grippatank.co.uk/full-kit-12v-30amp-smart-battery-to-battery-charger

-
Thank you for that succinct explanation.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 06:52:35 pm »

-
Thank you for that succinct explanation.

No problem.  :) I've added another link in the first post.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 06:54:21 pm »
You could try putting the headlights on and see if that fools it.

8weekly

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 06:56:31 pm »
You could try putting the headlights on and see if that fools it.
Yes, I saw that in a previous thread. But I never understood why. Now it makes sense & might be worth leaving them on whilst working.

mark g

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 08:15:13 pm »
I`ve had this problem on my new vivaro.I tried different split charge relays but non worked unless  you turn on the headlights to fool it .Ive just fitted the sterling battery to battery charger which seems to have solved the problem

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 08:30:40 pm »
I`ve had this problem on my new vivaro.I tried different split charge relays but non worked unless  you turn on the headlights to fool it .Ive just fitted the sterling battery to battery charger which seems to have solved the problem

That's good to know. Which Stering unit did you get?

8weekly

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 08:57:42 pm »
This one  http://sterling-power.com/collections/battery-to-battery-chargers/products/battery-to-battery-chargers-60-120a-waterproof?variant=882631047
At that price point, it begs the question, is it actually financially worth it if you can run a cable to the van?

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:01:58 pm »
This one  http://sterling-power.com/collections/battery-to-battery-chargers/products/battery-to-battery-chargers-60-120a-waterproof?variant=882631047
At that price point, it begs the question, is it actually financially worth it if you can run a cable to the van?

I agree. I park on the drive way and plug the van in every second night in summer and every night in winter. I wouldn't bother with the expense personally.  I don't do enough mileage to rely on my VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) to replenish the charge in my battery.

But it maybe the only option for someone who has on-street parking and never knows where that parking will be.

I'm told that the regenerative charging system does charge the starter battery at a higher voltage than the old alternators do, so I would be inclined to remove that SCR you have just fitted.

These vans now use Calcium batteries to cope with the higher charging voltages. Those higher voltages maybe an issue if you have a non maintenance leisure battery.

The Sterling Battery to battery charger accepts the higher alternator charge voltages but dampens them down a little to prevent leisure battery damage.
-

8weekly

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 09:38:42 pm »

I agree. I park on the drive way and plug the van in every second night in summer and every night in winter. I wouldn't bother with the expense personally.  I don't do enough mileage to rely on my VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) to replenish the charge in my battery.

But it maybe the only option for someone who has on-street parking and never knows where that parking will be.

I'm told that the regenerative charging system does charge the starter battery at a higher voltage than the old alternators do, so I would be inclined to remove that SCR you have just fitted.

These vans now use Calcium batteries to cope with the higher charging voltages. Those higher voltages maybe an issue if you have a non maintenance leisure battery.

The Sterling Battery to battery charger accepts the higher alternator charge voltages but dampens them down a little to prevent leisure battery damage.
-
I think I'll get the driver to drive with the lights on for the time being and see how he gets on. I paid £170 inc fitting, so I'll at least try to get some value out of it.   :-[

Oliver @ GrippaTank

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 10:17:05 am »
The alternative to the Sterling unit is our system that we have developed: https://www.grippatank.co.uk/full-kit-12v-30amp-smart-battery-to-battery-charger

This is an intelligent system designed to work with brand new vehicles that have smart or temperature sensing alternators. We recommend on fitting this unit to all vehicles registered 2015 onwards. Comes with 7 metres of wiring, trunking, and connectors really to connect your kit up.
www.grippatank.co.uk - The home of the GrippaMAX crash tested cleaning system. Contact us on 0800 098 8407 or enquiries@grippatank.co.uk

Don Kee

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »
Good to know, I was going to fit one this weekend!

Lights on whilst driving around me thinks!

8weekly

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 04:56:00 pm »
I've just looked at my bill for the split relay. £17 for the unit then two hours to fit! Does that seem excessive? I'd have though 30 minutes max for a mechanic.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:56 pm »
You need to go back to the fitters and complain it isn't working.

Not sure who did it for you but if they supplied the unit then they need to get it to work. If they are auto electrians then they should be aware of this issue with new vehicles and supply the correct product (or at least quote the correct product) to satisfactorily do the job you asked.

8weekly

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 05:53:47 pm »
You need to go back to the fitters and complain it isn't working.

Not sure who did it for you but if they supplied the unit then they need to get it to work. If they are auto electrians then they should be aware of this issue with new vehicles and supply the correct product (or at least quote the correct product) to satisfactorily do the job you asked.
It's my local garage. I don't think they had fitted one before the two they did for me - the first of which (2005 Boxer) works perfectly.

Don Kee

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »
 May have a solution to this for those that are interested

Spoke to an auto electrician; If you have a single van battery, apparently there is a port already in built for a second battery feed (its incase people do camper conversions)

Apparently its a case of fitting a relay off this port and then wiring in to the secondary battery (leisure battery) etc...ensuring that the feed only kicks in whilst the van is on...

I'm going to see the chap next week, £90 to supply correct relay and fit ( seat need to come out i think, reckons it'll take him an hour and a half...)

Will keep you updated and let you know if it works

8weekly

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 12:15:10 am »
May have a solution to this for those that are interested

Spoke to an auto electrician; If you have a single van battery, apparently there is a port already in built for a second battery feed (its incase people do camper conversions)

Apparently its a case of fitting a relay off this port and then wiring in to the secondary battery (leisure battery) etc...ensuring that the feed only kicks in whilst the van is on...

I'm going to see the chap next week, £90 to supply correct relay and fit ( seat need to come out i think, reckons it'll take him an hour and a half...)

Will keep you updated and let you know if it works
Please do.