Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

cleaning customers windows for free.........
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:20:46 pm »
....do you?on the odd rare occasion?

found out last month one of my long standing (20+ years)customers got terminal cancer(as i was cleaning the property).her husband told me.shes in a hospice now its spread to 4 places in her body.she only found out a few months ago.shes only 47. :(

to say he s distraught is an understatement.i just said "this cleans free no problem"
price higher/work harder!

Smurf

Re: cleaning customers windows for free.........
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 06:23:26 pm »
....do you?on the odd rare occasion?

found out last month one of my long standing (20+ years)customers got terminal cancer(as i was cleaning the property).her husband told me.shes in a hospice now its spread to 4 places in her body.she only found out a few months ago.shes only 47. :(

to say he s distraught is an understatement.i just said "this cleans free no problem"

Good on you  ;)

robbo333

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 06:38:44 pm »
I'd do the same, nice one.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Ste M

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:45:29 pm »
Ive done this a lot, also I've had long standing customers who I've formed a really nice relationship who have passed away and I've continued to clean the house for free until its sold, sometimes its not about the money, its about helping people who are house proud continue to be so and if i couldn't afford to do this then I'm not running my business correctly.

chris turner

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:51:03 pm »
I would of done the same, unless it was a big job.
The reason I say that is I cleaned a big farmhouse in and out on Monday, the ladies husband had just died and she was preparing for the wake.
Whilst I was doing the insides we were chatting and she was literally crying on my shoulder, it was really awkward. She was telling me how the business has gone down the pan and the only company she has now is her dog.
I felt really guilty asking for payment at the end, but the job was a big chunk of my days earnings and was hard work, it was to much for me to just give away.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:51:35 pm »
One of my customers told me his wife died , I said iv been meaning to tell you , your windows are going up from £8 to £10 from now on . It was just bad timing as I had it in my head I'd tell him that day.
Definitely don't do anything for free, yes I maybe heartless but my kids need feeding

Positivity

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:06:04 pm »
One of my customers told me his wife died , I said iv been meaning to tell you , your windows are going up from £8 to £10 from now on . It was just bad timing as I had it in my head I'd tell him that day.
Definitely don't do anything for free, yes I maybe heartless but my kids need feeding
Did you really have to tell him that day because you had it in your head?
Not really bad timing because you knew his wife had died already.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:14:14 pm »
Did you really have to tell him that day because you had it in your head?
Not really bad timing because you knew his wife had died already.

Yes, I don't get involved in my customers personal lives.

Soupy

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:36:07 pm »
Absolutely not. Not ever. Never ever ever.

A. This is your job, you do it for money.

2. You devalue the service giving it away for free.

D. My life sucks too, no #+?!er ever did anything for me for nowt.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 07:38:24 pm »
If a customer's died I clean but ask the relatives to give the money to whatever charity they have named for funeral donations.

Vin

SeanK

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:53:39 pm »

That's sad, one of my customers handed me a list of 7 new customers a few weeks back and Iv lost count on the amount of free fruit, veg and eggs that Iv got from the good life types on my round.
Then there's the coffee, buns and cold drinks on those hot days, not forgetting the tips I get over the year.
Would have done the same Dazmond, nice one.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 08:01:23 pm »

i dont make a habit of cleaning for free but in this instance it was the right thing to do IMO.

loads of people have helped me out in my life in one way or another.granted.most of the time its been my own hard work and commitment but im in a very good place right now at this time in my life.
price higher/work harder!

Soupy

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 08:05:26 pm »

That's sad, one of my customers handed me a list of 7 new customers a few weeks back and Iv lost count on the amount of free fruit, veg and eggs that Iv got from the good life types on my round.
Then there's the coffee, buns and cold drinks on those hot days, not forgetting the tips I get over the year.
Would have done the same Dazmond, nice one.

New customers come through recommendations due to your good service, not as a hand out. I doubt I'd take veg from someone's garden even if they offered, and I never stop for a coffee. Tips are just tips.

Soupy

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »

i dont make a habit of cleaning for free but in this instance it was the right thing to do IMO.

loads of people have helped me out in my life in one way or another.granted.most of the time its been my own hard work and commitment but im in a very good place right now at this time in my life.

Fair enough. You gotta do what you feel is right.

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 08:23:58 pm »
Lots of my customers look like they are going to die - I never charge any of them.

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 08:27:14 pm »
The reason I say that is I cleaned a big farmhouse in and out on Monday, the ladies husband had just died and she was preparing for the wake.
Whilst I was doing the insides we were chatting and she was literally crying on my shoulder, it was really awkward. She was telling me how the business has gone down the pan and the only company she has now is her dog.
I felt really guilty asking for payment at the end, but the job was a big chunk of my days earnings and was hard work, it was to much for me to just give away.

Tell her to audition for Britain's Got Talent she would go far.

chris turner

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:17 pm »

Tell her to audition for Britain's Got Talent she would go far.

;D ;D

simonr

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 09:36:32 pm »
a friend of my partner asked me to quote her parents house, its at the end of our road & i only charge £8 for ones nearby but they have a conservatory   so i said £40 for 1st clean + conny + roof cos its minging,  an hour after i left the husband died
  now, i don't think it had owt to do with my pricing   but i'm still left feeling like i should do it for free , my lasses mate is partially disabled as well
if it takes me an hr or even 2 none of my kids will die of starvation & i'll feel better about life  ;D

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 09:55:31 pm »
a friend of my partner asked me to quote her parents house, its at the end of our road & i only charge £8 for ones nearby but they have a conservatory   so i said £40 for 1st clean + conny + roof cos its minging,  an hour after i left the husband died
  now, i don't think it had owt to do with my pricing   but i'm still left feeling like i should do it for free , my lasses mate is partially disabled as well
if it takes me an hr or even 2 none of my kids will die of starvation & i'll feel better about life  ;D

😱

G Griffin

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 10:01:03 pm »
I think most would prefer your time and having someone to talk to than a free clean.
Money doesn't seem that important, at times like that, but the gesture might be.
Nice one.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐