This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian gray

New career
« on: March 29, 2016, 03:45:57 pm »
Hi all
I was thinking of starting a window cleaning business as my present job is preety much finished. I live in
St Albans Hertfordshire. I know it will take time to build a round & I'm not looking to make millions but if my takings where £750 a week, I think I would be a lot better off than I am now just don't want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire . Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Ian .

slap bash

Re: New career
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:08:20 pm »
It will take you some time to get up to 750 a week. Finding the work and keeping it is the difficult part of the job and getting paid is the next most difficult one  Don`t be fooled to think you can cut prices to get all the work remember undercut work will become hate jobs. Do some research and see what the chaps in your area are charging . Stolen  work will be stolen just as quick.
 The best way to get good work is to knock on doors and develop a conversation and repall with folks. \That way they feel they now you and will be more loyal and if they are happy with your work, ask them to recommend you to friends Good luck and remember its will take time.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:07:28 am »
Have you got time and/or money? As in you know your job is "safe" for a few months. Have you a driveway to your home?

If you have time but no money (capital) then you can build your own system in a trailer for a few hundred pounds and go round behind the family car canvassing and building up a part time round on any day off you have.

By the end of this summer you may well have built up a few hundred pounds worth of work and any money you have made can finance the business. You will then have an idea if "this is for you", though I would carry on through winter an see how you feel after that.

Then you might find a part time job like a postman, ASDA shelf stacker etc and use the rest of the time to build your round. This time next year you could be in a position to give up the part time work and go full time - maybe buy a decent 2nd hand van and put your trailer system in it.

If you have capital (say £4000 - 10,000) you could go straight for a van (£2k to £5K) and build your own system in it and do the same or move quicker.

Other opinions will come along shortly!
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:14:05 pm »
The way i started was pretty much what granvile said.

I started car valeting on a weekend around a full time job, i then discovered window cleaning was more profitable so went and got a 30hr per week job and built a day a week on windows whilst still doing the valeting, 8 months later i reduced my hours to 16 and continued to build more windows. This new year i quit the part time job and jumped into the buiness doing pressure washing, carpets and anything for money. 6 months on and the business is stable, not earning a fortune but earning more than in full time employment with more spare time to boot.

Starting is the hardest bit, especially with no savings. If you can afford to buy a round, pay a canvasser and buy a van you can skip over the stress.