This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Klean07

Cancelled to try trad.
« on: December 14, 2015, 04:51:18 pm »
A customer came over to chat to me in my van today while I was having a bite to eat. She says she wants to go back to the trad method again because my system is apparently ruining her wooden frames!!
I tried to convince her that its all in the mind etc but she wasn't having it so I gave in and said everyone has a choice so give it a go then! She's been a customer for over 20 years!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

dazmond

Re: Cancelled to try trad.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:28:09 pm »
yep its happened to me......once in nearly 6 years WFP..............a £30 monthly job(old wooden georgian windows).

fair enough just move onto your next job. ;)
price higher/work harder!

the king

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:33:51 pm »
i think wfp does help to bugger up wood fraims  even if u use a flocked brush just my view tho for wat its wrth :P

oliver collins

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:44:19 pm »
I agree that wfp even with a soft brush damages wodern frames
Oliver rise n shine cleaning

dd

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
It is not the brush that causes the problem but the water. I have been wfp nearly 10 years and think it is not particularly good for wooden frames. I clean quite a few wooden windows and try to use less water on them.

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:03:20 pm »
Are you guy's for real...wfp damages wooden windows my arse  ;D
They can leak and go rotten due to lack of maintenance more like

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:08:33 pm »
Just tell her your doing her a favour long term..... Once her windows drop out Coz you've scrubbed all the wood away, she can get some decent plastic framed windows and her heating bill will drop loads!!  ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 07:14:17 pm »
I once had a cancellation because he predicted that the water would harm his wooden frames.  That was on the second clean with WFP.  I had been cleaning his windows for about 14 years before that from a ladder, and it was one of those jobs that never felt totally safe.
I only have a problem with it if they wait for me to show up before they cancel as that can sometimes shorten my work day and cost me money. 
At least with some notice you can replace the job.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:17:28 pm »
Dented quite a few wooden windows with brush stock lol :-X

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 07:20:49 pm »
Dented quite a few wooden windows with brush stock lol :-X

I bet you have  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 07:28:31 pm »
I'm also betting you were using one of those magic brushes. You know the ones "the best wfp brush in the world"  that you don't need to rinse the glass either its so good  ;D

NWH

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 01:27:39 pm »
IMO it contributes to them deteriorating quicker over time,I know they may get covered with rain but if there's any loose paint etc when you scrub it can make it worse. I think one of the main reasons is that the paint these days is rubbish and most people use the one coat paint which leaves them almost pourous and they go green very quickly in some cases within months of being painted

Rich Wilts

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »
even if u use a flocked brush

Even if you use a flocked brush? A flocked brush is likely to be the worse sort to use on wooden frames.

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 01:58:40 pm »
I stay clear of crappy old painted soft wood frames myself as plenty of better work to be had using wfp method.
I leave those sorts of jobs to the local ladder monkeys to do for peanuts or should that be bananas  ;D

the king

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »
we do a few buy hand but charge more the ones we do arnt very high any way ;D

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »
It's bad enough when someone has crappy painted soft wood facias that they want washing over as most of the time they look worse than when you started what with the paint flaking off and all. ::)roll

SeanK

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 03:06:12 pm »
It's bad enough when someone has crappy painted soft wood facias that they want washing over as most of the time they look worse than when you started what with the paint flaking off and all. ::)roll

Agreed and when you try to tell them the money would be better spent on getting a painter they look at you as if you have two heads.

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 03:10:35 pm »

Agreed and when you try to tell them the money would be better spent on getting a painter they look at you as if you have two heads.

I know what you mean ;D

ptwt

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 04:21:50 pm »
I have two customers who both had varnished oak bi fold doors fitted within a short period of time, I have never though it a good idea to clean these with wfp as i thought it would deteriorate the wood.
As an experiment I cleaned the bi fold doors of one customer trad and the other wfp. The doors cleaned trad are looking good still with minimal signs of aging,  however on the doors cleaned with wfp the wood had started becoming discoloured, the customer even noticed and asked if I would clean the oak bifolds by hand.
Whats interesting is the doors I have cleaned trad all along are open to the elements where the ones I cleaned wfp are protected from the elements by the overhang of a roof. I also think that aslong as wooden windows are well maintained they are ok with wfp but wfp seems to accelerate the deterioration when they are getting ready to be painted.

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 05:25:47 pm »
Yip wfp accelerates wear i have a custy who has had solid oak windows throughout their large detached home , The beading along the bottom of the window has shown serious signs of wear he has had them re-treated twice .

I do make a point of drying the bottom of the frames but this is obviously only possible on ground floor windows .