This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jinky230

omnipole vac is it good enough
« on: May 12, 2006, 08:44:29 pm »
guys was thinking of getting the omnipole vac for cleaning gutters

and combining it with the pressure washer with lance for a rinse

however was cleaning a gutter to-day and the heat recently had turn the dirt into a sand - dash the omnipole vac would have been perfect here ,just suck it all up.

however came to the swan neck of the downpipe and it was compact with soil= no way would the vac have removed this stuff the swan neck had to be removed and tapped to loosen the soil.

we have came across this a few time and although the omnipole vac sounds good and pratical, when it comes to domestic gutter cleaning are you still going to have to go up a ladder

any views appreciated

jinky

chris@c.m.s

Re: omnipole vac is it good enough
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:52:15 pm »
Always check the downpipe first sometimes there's a reason why the gutters are full
Sussex by the sea

jinky230

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 02:37:51 am »
the area I am refering to is when the gutter comes to the down pipe and there is a swan neck leading to the downpipe.The gutters had fine dirt which was easy to lift but the swanneck was full of damp moist compack soil.I believe this to be an issue before people spend hard earned cash to find a safe method of cleaning gutters, then find themselves going up ladders to clear the swanneck.Could someone enlighten if they use vac systems how they manage to get round this problem

if the swannneck is not cleared then the point of cleaning gutters are a waste of time as the gutters will constantly full with water as there is no place to drain the gutters,come on guys someone must have came across this problem at sometime  or another.clearing them from a ladder no problem but cleaning from a vac-- different ball game--

jinky

jinky

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 07:41:21 am »
Hi Jinky
I use a mouse (not a real one) its a flat steel band on a roll with a small wheel on the end, if there are any blockages, I stand at the bottom and push it up from there, and it goes around the swan neck.
Now the mouse I'm talking about is the type supplied to its BT enginners, but if you go to your local electrical suppliers they will have something similar, or screwfix do them, they are for helping pull cable's under floors ect.

used it over a dozen times and worked every time.

jinky230

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:32:59 am »
thanks for that bit of info jeth i knew there had to be something if you were cleaning from the ground,presently still climbing a ladder to clean gutters,but do like the idea of working from the ground

how do you find the vac on tight gutters you know the type that slightly go under the tiles, they are murder you cut your hands to bits and they are too tight for any tools, is the vac nossle still ok with these

I think using the vac and combining with the lance and power washer would give first class results, but did not like the idea of just a lance cleaning gutters, recon the dirt would be everywhere and you would have a bigger job on your hands cleaning up

mouse is a bad word at the moment the dog caught one in the house yesterday and the wife has the whole place upside down, we are surrounded with fields where we stay, so guess it is part of living in the country

jijnky

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:25:18 pm »
hi where doyou get the mouse from?have you any photos of it
mark

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 07:51:42 pm »
I was thinking of getting a pressure washer and a gutter lance aswell as I thought the omnivac was too expensive for domestic gutter jobs

jinky230

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 09:59:23 pm »
guys I cant see the lance being enough to clean gutters the poop would be al over the place, I recon you still need some sort of vac or else go up ladder to take out heavy poop then jetwash with lance for nice clean finish

thought about making my own but these vacs are about £500 plus
and then when you add a decent pole like the powerpole from omnipole

i dont recon you are saving that much for an inferior system

just a guess as I dont have an omnivac yet
maybe some of the lads who do have could enlighten us dinosaurs

jinky

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 07:37:37 am »
thanks for that bit of info jeth i knew there had to be something if you were cleaning from the ground,presently still climbing a ladder to clean gutters,but do like the idea of working from the ground

how do you find the vac on tight gutters you know the type that slightly go under the tiles, they are murder you cut your hands to bits and they are too tight for any tools, is the vac nossle still ok with these

I think using the vac and combining with the lance and power washer would give first class results, but did not like the idea of just a lance cleaning gutters, recon the dirt would be everywhere and you would have a bigger job on your hands cleaning up

mouse is a bad word at the moment the dog caught one in the house yesterday and the wife has the whole place upside down, we are surrounded with fields where we stay, so guess it is part of living in the country

jijnky

Jinky don't get me wrong I still work from ladders, but changing to wfp soon i hope, The mouse is used if the downpipe ever got blocked, and I didn't want to use my ladders to attack from the top, but it worked every time.
I don't use the vac system, but am in the procces of building my own system (watch this space)
If I can get my camera to talk to my computer I'll post a picture of it, Its very much like a large reeled tape measure, but still small enough to fit under my car seat.

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 07:47:46 am »
hi where doyou get the mouse from?have you any photos of it
Hi mark

Like I mentioned in my post, I got mine from a BT Enginner, but you can buy a similar item from your local electrical wholesaler.

Just checked my screwfix catalouge and they are in there and are called SPRING STEEL FISH TAPE priced at £8.99 and are 15 meters long. there is a large selection of these in the catalouge of different types look under the electrical section.

There looks like a better one than i have in there, called a cable rod tool box kit, has a hook on the end as well priced at £14.99

jinky230

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 06:47:29 pm »
Jeth that cable rod kit looks the business

thanks for the info will be ordering one of them

jinky