Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Marketing
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:03:57 pm »
Not had a good marketing topic for a while ( which is the life blood of our companies) so I thought I would post a couple of picks of one of my 'strategies' 

Not really  a proactive marketing idea more about dominating an area with name recognition  ;) which I really try and do (I want everyone in my town to know the name Henry Halliday)

These mags go into all the doctors, dentist, hairdresser, .... Anywhere people sit and wait  In My town .

I buy 200 for £120 they are new magazines that have been returned unsold

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Kev Loomes

Re: Marketing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:40 pm »
So what are you doing Mike? Are you buying a load of recent mags, stamping your details in them and then putting them in to surgeries etc?

It seems like a good idea but would they not even notice the stamp?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:00:24 pm »
So what are you doing Mike? Are you buying a load of recent mags, stamping your details in them and then putting them in to surgeries etc?

Yep that's what I do

It seems like a good idea but would they not even notice the stamp?

If they read the mag they will notice the stamp, it's in  a few prominent positions through the  magazine

But the last time I did it I booked in 2 jobs from the people who I asked if I could leave them (a hairdresser and a chiropodist) 

Kev Loomes

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:26:03 pm »
LOL like smack bang over somebody's face! Let us know how it goes as it's certainly one of those more unusual marketing methods.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »
Surely the best form of marketing is generating high volumes of repeats and recommendations through providing first class service and fantastic carpet cleaning and so have your customers do the marketing work for you  - for free!

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »
You're right Simon that's the best marketing but it's not the only marketing, 

to be honest I don't need to do this idea with magazines. I already have all the work I need brought in by my existing marketing..  what  is the great thing is my other successful marketing  gives me the opportunity  to experiment with  ( as Kev puts it) 'unusually marketing methods '

Just like building my own machines, I don't do it because I have to,  I do it because I want to.  I enjoy trying different ideas.

I've done these magazines before and it works on a few different levels

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:18:47 pm »
It forms the majority of our marketing so that we only have to spend tiny amounts for websites etc to keep us at capacity, year round.
Fair dinkum if you're like experimenting😃

neil 47

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:14:24 am »
Marketing is really a Job in its own right , that is why so many cc fail as they can clean carpets, but struggle with marketing .

while i was living  in cornwall I ran a marketing campaign for a friend who had just started cc , and as i had time on my hands ,I ran it for him from cornwall and booked them in then passed them on to him , he lived in yorkshire and for the 5 or 6 months that I ran it he was full every week .

since i stopped he has very little work . as he is rubbish at marketing .
so if you're rubbish at marketing find someone who's good at it and pay them .

Mike wasn't there a j polish idea to sponsor the covers that went over clothes that people collected from the dry cleaners .
the idea being that they cared about appearance and had disposable income.

A friend used to pay kleeneze reps to put his leaflets in the kleeneze mags in the carpet cleaning section he said he had a good return on them higher than just leafleting.
IICRC

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 07:29:11 pm »
Marketing a carpet cleaning business is not rocket science, as long as you take an organised approach to it.
If you think of a bicycle wheel which has lost of spokes in it,  all feeding into the central hub. In marketing terms, each of the spokes are a form of marketing, leafleting, yellow pages, Thomson local, website, Adwords, door knocking, repeats, recommendations, local paper, local magazine, etc etc and the central hub equals sales.
The more spokes you have in your wheel the more sales you should generate. All you need to do then is keep a close eye on which of your spokes are actually generating sales, especially in relationship to their cost. You should keep an even closer eye on repeats and recommendations, if they are low then you could have a quality issue. If they are high, which they should be over a period of time, then you could think of reducing some of your paid advertising and thereby increase your profits and still have a full diary.
Marketing is the ability to project the image of your business into the minds of the buyer by appealing to their needs and concerns in a positive way. Simples.

Simon

andy east sussex

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 08:16:53 pm »
quick question do you use a company to do online marketing or pretty clued up with it all as I always cock it up when I try do any online

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 07:52:38 am »
(Some random thoughts on marketing)

Marketing put simply is what makes the phone ring, 'effective ' marketing is what makes the phone  ring with  people you want to do business with.

Groupon Could be classed as marketing but it will bring you lots of price shopper who are not your target customer.... So it's marketing but not effective marketing.

I think to understand marketing  (and how you will use it )you need to look at the very final result you want to achieve..... then work backwards.  Our final aim is to make  the maximum amount money we can within a normal working week  (I add the final bit because it's not good earning a 10k a week if you are working 23 and a half hours a day)

A carpet cleaner on her used to brag how he spent nothing on marketing  but he let slip making over a £800 was a good week for him and this is actually an ethos  that is very popular....... people saying how little they spend on marketing  as though it's  a testament to how good a  business  they have.

But we are in the business of making money. Who's the better businessman  the man who spend £200 a week on marketing. And  earns  £2000 or the man who spends nothing and earns £1000?

And here is the most important aspect...... what if the man earning £2000 is doing the exact amount of work the £1000 is  (because he charges more,)  does it matter that a lot of the quotes he gives are rejected because his price is too high?  he might only get 1 out of 4 quotes he does  but the bottom line is  still earns more. Carpet cleaners have a fear of rejection they think if they did'nt get a job because there price was too high then they must  reduce their prices

but I say unless you are getting regular rejection you are too cheap. This is why you need effective marketing,  so you can Have rejection  but still  have so many calls coming in that you are  booked up all week.

Remember : SHOW ME THE MONEY,!! SHOW ME THE MONEEEEEEEY !! 

It's all about the money,

what you spend is irrelevant it's the profit you make...... I'd happily spend a grand getting one customer if they spent  10grand  for a day's work

Oops it's 7:45......Off to work.....

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »
What a lot of people don't realise when approaching the subject of marketing their business is there is no point in building a website, or any other piece of advertising material that looks and says exactly the same as everyone else's. Marketing is about projecting your companies image and it is the way you project that image that compels people to call you rather than a competitor.
So if it is about how you project your image, you've got to decide what that image is because the first rule of marketing is, ‘be different!’ that begs the question, ‘how do I look different?’ Well first of all you've got to decide which part of the market you are aiming for, or put another way,  which type of customers you want to do business with. Customers at the bottom end of the market will only do business with the cheapest, so your USP (unique selling proposition) would have to be all about price. The quality end of the market is populated by people looking for a quality job and are willing to pay more to ensure they get it. So your USP then becomes about quality and therefore price should never be mentioned in your marketing material. So with your target customer defined, you then shape your marketing material at that market. To do that effectively you need to understand what your target customer is looking for, what their fears and concerns are and then use what space you have to address those issues. When people start looking for a carpet cleaner, they will keep searching until they find a company that fits  their idea of what it is they are looking for in a carpet cleaner. The cheap people will look for the cheapest, the quality people will look for a cleaner that is professional looking , either way, you want your marketing material to move them into their ‘comfort zone,’ whether that comfort zone is defined by price, or the suggestion of quality. Suggestion comes about by using certain keywords that fits your chosen market, a £ sign with a nice low figure will get the phone ringing at the cheap end. The people looking for quality over price will scoff at a low price and not even contemplate using such companies, but will respond favourably to the suggestion of quality, service  integrity and value for money.
Websites are by far the best form of marketing and can reach across towns and cities in your area very cost effectively. But it is what your website says that will decide whether you get a phone call from a target customer or not.
Getting a web designer who has done carpet cleaning websites before isn't in my view a good idea,  as they all tend to look and say the same and are filled with stock pictures of a baby sitting on a carpet or a settee sitting in a nice front room, or other images that do not speak to the customer about what you do and are therefore a waste of space. You could use your own photos, videos and testimonials. If you're in the price game then you can list out your prices and maybe the tag line, ‘The Cheapest in Town.’
If into the middle of the market you could introduce yourself, ‘My name is xxxx and I am your local professional carpet cleaner,’ and go on to use other lines and phrases suggestive of superior quality, even going as far as saying, ‘ I'm not the cheapest carpet cleaner in town! Why? Because to be so would mean missing out vital elements of what it takes to get your carpet, not just nearly clean – but REALLY clean and I am not prepared to do that simply to win your business, only to leave you disappointed. Everything I do, from first contact is focused on providing you with a first class experience at a value for money price.’
(This automatically excludes the price shoppers who won't ring you because you've already told they you are  the cheapest, but at the same time spikes the interest in those looking for something better.
If you've got this bit right, you should start getting calls from the right people, from there on its all about you.
Everything you do, from answering the phone, to saying good bye – is marketing. In fact it is the most powerful and effective form of marketing that you can do, so powerful in fact that it can either make, or break your business.
And so to orphans. Orphans are people who have had their carpet cleaned before but rather than ring the last guy, ring someone else. The last guy should, but clearly didn't impress the customer sufficiently for them to come to seeing him as, ‘their carpet cleaner,’ so here is your chance, not just to gain a customer, but to have them come back to you without even thinking of ringing anyone else and, just as importantly have them recommend you to other people.
That's marketing – at least from perspective.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 02:09:07 pm »
Simon are the first two sentence correct? Is it want you meant to say? It doesn't make sense.

But I agree with everything else you say,   marketing is about projecting your image so people chose you over your competitors.... so once they have chosen you based on your marketing what do they do? contact you telepathically? 

They pick up thier phone which makes your phone ring .... Hense my simplification 'marketing is what makes the phone ring'  ( although I'm speaking  metaphorically they could also email you, text you or send carrier pigeon )

Making the phone ring  is a well known tag line in marketing.  try googling  ...........'marketing , making the phone ring'

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 02:53:50 pm »
Mike,
Aplogies, you're right, it was a little out of context, so I've altered it.

Simon

DB

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 04:00:06 pm »
An excellent discussion from Mike and Simon...one for the newbies and not so newbies to get their teeth into

Well put fellas

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 08:54:12 am »
An excellent discussion from Mike and Simon...one for the newbies and not so newbies to get their teeth into
Well put fellas

Thanks, it's an important issue  and one  everyone should pay an awful lot of attention to.

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 09:55:16 am »
A quick point that I thought a lot about when I got the stamp made to do these magazines......

Rather than put my phone number on the stamp I thought it would be better to say........Google  'Henry carpet cleaning' as I did'nt think anyone would tear out the page or take out a pen to write my number so it would be better to tell them how to find me & my number rather than them trying to remember it.

Do you think it is a gamble to assume everyone is capable of 'googling' or even know what it means?

SimonW

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 10:29:53 am »
In theory it's a good trick but assuming there's still a lot elderly people who literally do not use pc/Web at all. They might not get the point.
In my opinion it would limit your idea only to those who use Internet although you should give it a try! Hope it makes a sense :d

tim handley

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 11:35:51 am »
very usefull and informed  posts fellas, thank you........................