Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Gourlay

Re: Tescos
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »
They don't get it do they, all these so called offer which weren't really offers and putting pressure on your suppliers to offer deals.
Wharburtons told them. When you supply Tesco you don't get paid until the product is sold. So technically even though its on Tesco's shelves it still belongs to the supplier. Tesco told Wharburtons that they were going to pay them less for the bread than had been agreed. Wharburtons, who have balls, went to every Tesco store and cleared the shelves of THEIR bread. Guess who backed down.
Aldi etc just offer good stuff at good prices, no bullpoop.

You're right John but actually this is a fairly standard practice for lots of businesses. I can remember learning about this when I was doing my banking exams when we were discussing the theoretical break up value of a business. IE just because a company is holding large stock levels doesn't mean to say it doesn't belong to somebody else and therefore has no value in a break-up situation.

"A retention of title clause (also called a Romalpa clause in some jurisdictions) is a provision in a contract for the sale of goods that the title to the goods remains vested in the seller until certain obligations (usually payment of the purchase price) are fulfilled by the buyer."

Is it something you have on your invoices with any companies to whom you supply credit?

Rog

PS I suppose it's no different to cc'ers dumping waste water back on a carpet if they don't get paid!

Yeah but you Bankers picked on Us little Guys  who had to pay for their stock sharpish  and let people like tesco waterstone and Virgin get away with it  Not really sure how this works I check out Loads of Ltd Blind Companies at Company House. I am amazed how many have liabilities exceeding Assets  of Many Thousand Pounds You usually get Deposits if Blinds are supplied  your Customer either Pays  or owes you money if a Business so Assets should at least equal liabilities   

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:47 pm »
Ian

I assume you don't pay for the results you get when you make inquiries at Companies House. AS such the free public info is pretty meaningless.

I once bothered to look at my old business and the info available. On the limited info available I  certainly wouldn't have given credit to myself. But that is only half the story.

So for example a business can have a positive cash flow, be cash rich, but the accounts (which are simply a snap-shot in time) which may be skewed to minimize tax (as opposed to say skewed to show maximum profits ahead of the sale of a business).

But of course info is restricted to try and tempt you to buy a more detailed credit check.

Once upon a time suppliers would send a Status Enquiry direct to the bank of a potential customer. The answer you got would cost money and be supplied in a "form of code" (which was easy to understand if you read a few of the replies) and would give you a far more meaningful measure of the credit worthiness of any business and its ability to pay its debts as they fall due for if the bank gave an inaccurate assessment they could (and often were) sued for defamation.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:43 pm »
I look through Company Check