Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Re: struggling
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 08:35:34 am »
I don't think it is about intelligence, or the lack of it, but simply a matter of not knowing any better.
How many times do we see people coming on here asking if a Puzzi 100 or a Craftex Grace is a good enough machine to start off with? Are these people thick, or do they simply know no better, I would suggest the latter. The same applies where pricing is concerned. It is easy, even for intelligent people to look at this business and come to the conclusion that in order to be competitive you have to beat the next guy on price. Expose that same person to the idea that if you want to compete with others then compete with them on quality and they may well look at this business differently. What the low price people don't realise is that the lower end of the market is I would argue the smaller by customer volume, but yet highly populated by competing cc'ers than the market that sits above it where the more discerning customers are, people who have often fallen for the low price, low quality option in the past and have learned their lesson and now look for and are willing to pay for a professional job this time around. The other problem with the low price market is that because people buy your service on price they are less likely to be loyal to you next time around and once again give the job to the lowest bidder, so you can't build a core of customers who through the quality of what you do have come to see you as 'their' carpet cleaner and that can be fatal for a business, but yet be the 'holy grail' for a successful professional carpet cleaner with the right 'attitude.'
All of the most successful carpet cleaners I know have a core of customers that wouldn't dream of using anyone else and that is something those guy's made happen by focusing on great customer service and most importantly of all, fantastic quality at a price their customers can live with. Carpet cleaning is not about price, it is about quality - quality - quality and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that one out.

Simon

John Kelly

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 08:46:09 am »
I think that's about it in a nutshell Simon.

Brendan (chem2clean)

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:08 am »
Some of the most intelligent business people have failed at sometime.Its about having all the attributes mentioned in Simons post and having the drive to keep going.
Andy if you could get a part time job,bring some money in.It can be hard when you send out 30,000 leaflets and your depending on the phone to ring so you can pay your mortgage and feed your kids.
Is there anyone out there that would let Andy go with them for a few days and see how they work,give advice on marketing etc.Think he just needs a helpful hand to give him back his mojo.

andy east sussex

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:53 am »
in 10 years of cleaning I will not give up I will not let low prices beat me im god dam better than this, but come to the point tho where the area are so influenced by the prices its difficult to get through doors but I will keep going shrug my self off and get back up standing stronger

neil 47

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 09:30:54 am »
Mike ,

this isn,t meant to be insulting

Somtimes things just don.t go right no matter how intelligent you are

my son has found another job, and my other helper has been sacked, I'm back to being a lone operator

And you dont come up in the top 3 for beverley or hull for cc , come on Mike get your poop together

;D

IICRC

JandS

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:47 am »
Slowing down here too, phone not ringing as much as it used to, luckily I have another iron in the fire to fall back on.
Used to get around 12 calls a week just from Google, then I started with adwords and for some reason the calls have gone down dramatically.
Thought they would go up not down.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

andy east sussex

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 10:01:42 am »
might be silly question but sure someone knows does it matter how many domain names are pointed at a website ?

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 10:14:28 am »
I don't think it is about intelligence, or the lack of it, but simply a matter of not knowing any better.
How many times do we see people coming on here asking if a Puzzi 100 or a Craftex Grace is a good enough machine to start off with? Are these people thick, or do they simply know no better, I would suggest the latter. The same applies where pricing is concerned. It is easy, even for intelligent people to look at this business and come to the conclusion that in order to be competitive you have to beat the next guy on price. Expose that same person to the idea that if you want to compete with others then compete with them on quality and they may well look at this business differently. What the low price people don't realise is that the lower end of the market is I would argue the smaller by customer volume, but yet highly populated by competing cc'ers than the market that sits above it where the more discerning customers are, people who have often fallen for the low price, low quality option in the past and have learned their lesson and now look for and are willing to pay for a professional job this time around. The other problem with the low price market is that because people buy your service on price they are less likely to be loyal to you next time around and once again give the job to the lowest bidder, so you can't build a core of customers who through the quality of what you do have come to see you as 'their' carpet cleaner and that can be fatal for a business, but yet be the 'holy grail' for a successful professional carpet cleaner with the right 'attitude.'
All of the most successful carpet cleaners I know have a core of customers that wouldn't dream of using anyone else and that is something those guy's made happen by focusing on great customer service and most importantly of all, fantastic quality at a price their customers can live with. Carpet cleaning is not about price, it is about quality - quality - quality and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that one out.

Simon

I can recall a client whose lounge I used to clean approximately every six months.

Every time she used to complain about my price and try and haggle me down.

I got fed with this and one day asked her directly to her face why did she always have me back but always complained about the price. I said to her if she didn't like the price why didn't she go for another cleaner as I was a bit fed up with her haggling.

Her answer was most illuminating.

She said she had used various other cleaners over the years till she had found my company. She had never had such a quality service and also level of cleaning till she started using me.

Since then, she has never once complained about the price.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 10:47:31 am »
Because she considers you her carpet cleaner, job done.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 11:18:51 am »
I have struggled all the years i have been going and only using low moisture. Allthough people make a good living using only LM i feel that's my pitfall people are seeing me in and out too quickly etc and maybe not getting value for money ???? so now i have got a Prowler and i'm gonna pride myself on quality and do the most thorough job i can everytime. I will still offer LM if that's what they want but now gonna push the prowler and do quality and if that doesn't help me get busy then there's no hope. Just plug away mate and don't worry about others prices i used to do the £20 a room and didn't get busy now my minimum charge is £40 still cheap but i don't worry if i don't get it move on and get a customer who appreciates you for the quality service you offer.

Best of Luck Mate.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
Mike ,

my son has found another job, and my other helper has been sacked, I'm back to being a lone operator

And you dont come up in the top 3 for beverley or hull for cc , come on Mike get your poop together

;D

Good job I don't rely on the internet then :) plus good job I don't rely on the YPs either I'm not in the book,

The quote you give proves my point, things don't go as planned for successful people, but the are still successful it's how they react to the problems.  
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 12:40:25 pm »
How about lowering your prices a little , do the sums , I am not the dearest or cheapest , I price jobs that mean I average 300/day/ van , yes that means an empty 3 bed semi is £150 ,  not £300.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

garry22

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 12:43:08 pm »
might be silly question but sure someone knows does it matter how many domain names are pointed at a website ?

Not a silly question Andy - just one that I don't understand. Can you elaborate please?

neil 47

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »

Not a silly question Andy - just one that I don't understand. Can you elaborate please?

If you mean back links then yes it does, but this has to be good ranking sites that are relevant, and will only help if you also provide good unique  original content on your site  , and traffic to your site  including social media and video content .
IICRC

gwrightson

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 05:45:35 pm »
Mike ,

Neil,
As a c/c local to Mike and knowing him for many years now, knowing his work and  the prices he attains , I would say not been in the top three would not make any difference at all, I also know one of the carpet cleaners in the said area is in the top three, and they (no names ) has to have groupon offers consistently , I wonder why?
I  have my theory's as to why, but I will not air them on here for fear of insulting them :-X 

As for Mike, He says it as it is, not every body like the truth , but been  a Yorkshire lad he will do ;) we don't have to girl thingy foot about saying what we think people will want to hear............. simples.

Geoff

;D

who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Doug Holloway

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 05:47:10 pm »
Hi Guys

Andy are you underpricing?

Worth considering.

You are the best carpet cleaner in your area or if not one of the two or 3 best.

You have quality equipment, knowledge, use the best chemicals and offer very good value for money.

You are polite, punctual and professional.

You don't compete with the cowboys.

It's all in the mind and I think losing your dad has knocked your confidence and potential customers are picking up on this, possible subliminally.

Cheers

doug

neil 47

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2014, 06:21:17 pm »
 Andy

You Need a Mentor , some on who has been there and done it.

go on the window cleaning side and ask if some one will give you one to one guidance on the phone and check your progress regular .

Do the same with carpet cleaning .

from just a quick look at your fb page and web page

No 1   get rid off prices
No 2   Never criticises other cc publicly
no 3   separate the business
No 4   lose all that isnt relevant to cc on the van
No 5   if you make offers make them for a reason , make them beliveable and back them with a promise .

No 6      JUST DO IT,
IICRC

Paul Moss

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 06:40:50 pm »
Hi Guys

Andy are you underpricing?

Worth considering.

You are the best carpet cleaner in your area or if not one of the two or 3 best.

You have quality equipment, knowledge, use the best chemicals and offer very good value for money.

You are polite, punctual and professional.

You don't compete with the cowboys.

It's all in the mind and I think losing your dad has knocked your confidence and potential customers are picking up on this, possible subliminally.

Cheers

doug

Nail on head
As simple as.

stuart_clark

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 08:17:23 pm »
I know a guy I wont mention his name but he used to clean all his carpetsnand three piece suit jobs using a rug doctor! He had all the training was a member of the NCCA had all the right credentials
and every qualification known to man, he used to charge over £200 to clean an average three piece and get £4 per square yard for carpet cleaning, and that was back in 1997
some people on this board will know whom I am talking about and some wont, but my point is you dont have to own the best equipment or the most powerful, what this guy had was the gift of the gab, his van was imaculate , his cosh sheets were all in there place and his marketing was right uo there with Joe Polish I remember I could only dream of what he was charging to clean carpets and upholstery