This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Identity Crisis
« on: April 07, 2006, 01:58:20 pm »
When I started up window cleaning I called myself Stuart Webster Window Cleaning.

About 6 years ago, for tax reasons, my accountant made us into a partnership, S & L Webster Window Cleaners.

About 3 years ago I teamed up with another WCer, I had most of the work, he did most of the ups, I took the largest share.

For doing Commercial work, some of which was mine, some his we had shirts made, that said Nicholson & Webster Window Cleaning. (I let him be first as it sounded better)

I started putting it on my tickets and found cheques made out to Nicholson & Webster, which was a problem as we wern't a partnership or had bank account in that name.

So, I went back to putting Stuart Webster on my tickets.

My question is, does it matter?

I ask because I was going to fill in my APWC form and it asked for trading name, but I dont know what to put down.

Can you help?

David 'Duck' Clare

Re: Identity Crisis
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 05:26:30 pm »
Hi Bear.

I would use Nicholson & Webster in your case to fill out your form as this is your trading name according to your text above.

Even though you are asking for cheques in a different name that doesnt matter as you are trading as 'Nicholson & Webster '.

In my case im a limited company trading as Blue Duck Window Cleaning and if i do the windows myself people pay blue duck limited not blue duck window cleaning!

Going forward you could always have a free business bank account with someone like Abbey to put your cheques in that are made out to Nicholson & Webster  OR make it clear in your invoices/slips through the door who to make cheque payable to.........unless your a cash only business, wonder why that may be....????.........hmmmm no tax inspectors in here are there? ;D :o 8)

David

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:03:13 pm »
I prefer cheques as they dont get eaten up by the family the same as cash does :D

My bank manager insists I use my personal account and not bother with a business account, i just wondered what if any legalities there was as regards trading names?

Helen

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:58:13 pm »
My bank manager insists I use my personal account and not bother with a business account, i just wondered what if any legalities there was as regards trading names?

Your Bank manager needs a kick up the a-s-s if that is what he said.
You should always have your business activities away from your personal ones.