Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richy L

customer wont pay!!!
« on: April 04, 2006, 02:45:09 pm »
I have been cleaning this flat for about 7 - 8 months, and he owes me for three cleans, its only a total of £15 for the three times, as it is only a small flat.

However, everytime I go to collect the money from him he says to call around tomorrow! >:(
 I called there today, and after ringing the doorbell, he didnt answer, as i walked away, he popped his head up behind the window, I saw him so I knocked the door a few more times, but he wouldnt answer the door!!!!! >:( >:(

This isnt the first time hes done it either! I know its not a lot of money, but its the principle! Any suggestions on what to do?! ??? >:(

ian m

Re: customer wont pay!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:54:06 pm »
I suppose the short answer is dump him.

Don't clean his windows again but try calling a few more times, keep it friendly, no threats, dont give him any reason to bad mouth you to others.

Ask him to send on a cheque / postal order, keep on nagging him till he coughs up.

I think we all have had experiences like this.

Even if he does pay up this time chances are you'll find yourself chasing after him in the future.

So whatever happens  might be a good idea to dump him.

Ian
I know you are out there....... I can hear you breathing

Richy L

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 03:02:40 pm »
I feel for you - i had this bloke that owed me a tenner, i went round every night for 2 weeks and he turned light off when i knocked on the door etc...

But last week i turned up banged on door and this customers lodger poked his head out, i explaned to him the situation and he gave me the cash and said he would take it off his rent - BONUS  ;D

But the short answer is i still dumped the bloke as he is obviously a 'four letter word!'

RE your issue dump him no questions asked, but i'd send him a letter saying pay up in 7 days or the 'matter will be refered for further consideration'.

My father in law runs his own business, ive known him to take people to small claims court for £10 before - his argument is if he didnt they would tell their mates and everyone would be doing him over for a £1o!

Up to you, but i'd consider doing his windows with really dirty water and making sure he cant see at all out of his windows! That would show him ! hahahah

In the real world however I suppose neither is a good thing to have to do

David

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 03:07:37 pm »
i have been very tempted to dirty his windows! maybe get some eggs! ;D
But seriously, i guess I'll have to keep trying, I just dont want him to get away with it now.

DavidX

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 03:26:32 pm »
Do a phil mitchell , sort him out >:(. NO don't only joking. Best thing to do write a note to him to say what he own you and you be round to pick up the money. When you get the money say thank you for the money and you won't be cleaning his window anymore.

spotless2000

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:48:08 pm »
Send him letter giving him 14 days to pay or you will pass on his details to a debt collecting agency and explain you will also record this information on his credit file with someone like experian.  This will cause him problems if he tries to get credit in the future.

You don't have to follow through with these actions but sending the letter may just make him pay.

Whatever happens - terminate your business relationship with him!

Good luck! ;)

ronaldo

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:30:15 pm »
Leekson, if it was me he owed the pennies to i would go round and launch half a dozen eggs up his window and tell him to sort that out.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Pole2pole

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 05:35:24 pm »
Ronaldo.......Have you considered Anger Management?  ;D
On a more serious note. You can buy a dozen eggs for a few bob more. If ya gonna do it...... DO IT RIGHT  ;)

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 05:47:47 pm »
eggs eggs eggs  ;)

job done ;D ;D

brett

Richy L

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 06:09:51 pm »
......only joking, i might do what you suggested  spotless2000. Hope it scares him into paying :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 06:15:43 pm »
I have been cleaning this flat for about 7 - 8 months, and he owes me for three cleans, its only a total of £15 for the three times, as it is only a small flat.

However, everytime I go to collect the money from him he says to call around tomorrow! >:(
 I called there today, and after ringing the doorbell, he didnt answer, as i walked away, he popped his head up behind the window, I saw him so I knocked the door a few more times, but he wouldnt answer the door!!!!! >:( >:(

This isnt the first time hes done it either! I know its not a lot of money, but its the principle! Any suggestions on what to do?! ??? >:(

Cancelling the window cleaning goes without saying.  Sounds l;ike you need to write the debt off as you aren't going to get it anyway.  Might be an idea to leave a bill with an SAE in case he has an attack of conscience but don't hold your breath.

A little old lady I once knew used to come out with many pearls of wisdom.
She once said something like the following to me:-
"If you lend your neighbour a fiver and he doesn't give it back, then you have a problem.  However, if you lend your neighbour a fiver and he doesn't give it back then he moves to Australia, then you DON'T have a problem".
Basically, the t*sser has conned you.  Write it off.  Pretend he's moved to Australia. No problem then !!

macc

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 06:18:43 pm »
aplicater, opps,drop it on the flower beds by mistake of coarse, then aplicate glass & frames. ;D

spotless2000

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 06:25:28 pm »
Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted if you get a response! ;)

Steve

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 07:14:57 pm »
Leeksons (Richard), is this flat in Station Close?  I guess it is and I think I know your customer; he's got a dog. 

I clean the neighbor's house and she told me 'a young window cleaner' had been knocking and not getting any answer, so I guess this is you.

Richard, it happens on a rare occassion.  I think this has only happened to me on around four times in three years, and remember when you first start up, you take on a lot of customers you don't know, and who're not always decent people.

I'm in a similar situation with a young single-mum in a small council house in Caldicot.

Every month, when I clean the houses next to her property, I always knock, never get an answer and leave a note.  I've been doing this for three months now; obviously I'm not cleaning her windows though.

I'll catch her one of these days; purely out of principle.  I've been nice though.  Had she been an able-bodied bloke, I maybe a little more pushy.

My advice is to put it down to experience, write a short note out for your books and deduct it as an expense from your tax.

PS.  Good price by the way.  £5.00 for one of those flats.  There's only three windows in them!  I do the neighbor for £3.50, and I've tried my best to drop her, but she's disabled, knows my number - phones me if I'm overdue - and steals my time - bribing me - with cups of tea!

craig jwc

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 08:28:47 pm »
I have had the same problem.

Called round quite a few times just to be told she had no money or turning the tv and light off pretending she was out.

Lost count how many times i left a note and SAE.

The last time i was in the street i managed to get her to answer the door as an estate agent had called round to put the property on the market.

I watched him putting the sign up with her stood there.

I approached them and said would you like to settle up your bill for the windows.
She said she didn't have any money with her but if i called back next week she would pay. (yeah right)

The estate agent said it would look really good if i could clean the windows before he took the picture. The women agreed and i agreed.

I went back to the van and changed my brush on the pole for one i do the gutters with and went over to the house with just the pole (NO water).

The brush was minging.  ;D ;D

I brushed all over the frames and glass with this brush leaving it a complete mess.
The estate agent looked just looked at me. :o :o

I told him that i had carried her for the last 4 months now with the same excuse and wasn't going to let in go on.

He understood where i was coming from and even he had a chuckle

I felt alot better after that and haven't lost a single customer in the street.
A couple of my customers mentioned it to me and thought it served her right.

Craig ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pole2pole

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:39 pm »
Beautiful Craig.......Beautiful  ;)

macc

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 09:11:59 pm »
nice one Craig i bet you hated every minute, NOT.  ;D

craig jwc

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 09:25:40 pm »
I'm back in the same street tomorrow have to see if there windows have been done. ;D

It did make me feel better but not really a professional approach.

Craig

Richy L

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 10:19:13 pm »
Hey tosh,
Yeah it is in station road! an upstairs flat. I didnt know he had a dog.

He's a right pain! I went there again tonight! i rang the bell about 4 times and knocked (hard) about 4 times too. Heres the thing! ... He came down stairs, looked through the spy-hole thing, and then hid behind the side of the door. He may have gotten away with it if the door didnt have windows on it!!! I could see him looking at me!!!! ::) >:(

P @ F

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 10:23:42 pm »
LEEKSONS , do what i did , just ask them how much excess they have on their car insurance , it works well , i got paid straight away .

Rich   P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Richy L

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 10:30:20 pm »
Hey Rich, He doesnt own a car!
I asked his naighbour, (tosh's customer) when he works, hoping i could have a chat with him before or after but she says he doesnt work!

dai

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 10:36:09 pm »
Write it off, forget it. We all come up against this kind of situation. So he hasn't paid you. That gives you stress. Don't let him/her cause you any more. Replace the customer with a better job and get on with your life.
I have one golden rule, if a customer gives me grief to the extent that I think about them when I go to bed, they are history. Dai

AuRavelling79

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 10:37:44 pm »
If you are wfp do this:

When he hides you can assume he's not in.

Kindly clean his front door as a "goodwill parting gesture" and pay particular attention to the letter box making sure that you use at least 25 litres of pure water to make it "really" clean. (I find that to ensure that there are no runs you might need to prop open the flap so that you really scrub every last bit of it!)

At Hallowe'en I'm sure some young nuisances will egg his flat - it was them wasn't it? ;D

Disclaimer:- (The above post is of course meant to not be taken seriously!)
It's a game of three halves!

Richy L

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 11:12:53 pm »
Write it off, forget it. We all come up against this kind of situation. So he hasn't paid you. That gives you stress. Don't let him/her cause you any more. Replace the customer with a better job and get on with your life.
I have one golden rule, if a customer gives me grief to the extent that I think about them when I go to bed, they are history. Dai

I'm a bit like that Dai.  I've had jobs before that caused me anxiety.  If i feel irritated 3 times in a row about a pending job, I let go of that job.  I used to keep doing them year in year out and hated it.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 08:11:35 am »
Ive never used the wfp on this house, i may do now!
thanks for the idea! ; ;D)

Whatever you do, don't dip the brush in dog's poo first will you?

Morph

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 10:23:56 am »
Make a little paper boat, put a lit candle in it and float it out on the nearest pond 8)

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 11:28:23 am »
Eggs bring them on with toms and rice all stick great ;D ::) :o

once I super Glued a lock up for no payer ;D fun watching them try to get in ;)
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 05:12:49 pm »
I would just hold your head up and forget about it.

Show you are a professional and just invoice them then leave it.

Lifes too short to get stressed and get a bad name for doing something petty by retaliating.

Dave

Paul Coleman

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 05:33:47 pm »
I would just hold your head up and forget about it.

Show you are a professional and just invoice them then leave it.

Lifes too short to get stressed and get a bad name for doing something petty by retaliating.

Dave

David.  I totally agree with you.  If I let it get to me too much whenever this happened, I'd end up in the nuthouse.  one guy took me for £70.  That took a bit longer to let go of.  I just take pride in not allowing myself to drop to their level.  I considered the small claims court for the 70 pounder as I had proof of non payment but, in the end, I realised I could make that up in less than half a day. I figured I'd rather work for half a day extra than sitting around in a stuffy courtroom with a load of plastic people who make their living at this type of thing.

Michael D

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 07:39:49 pm »
Hi All,
          Sorry to hear you have a bad payer. Weed out the bad ones. It`s the only way, I only do 3 cleans then stop until i get paid. Sometimes you will lose out  we all do and will. The next job that comes, add £1 more after you decide on the price.  This week i weeded  8 jobs small money ones 5, 7,8 pounders out of 12 jobs in one area, started 2 at £15 each . i now have 6 jobs and i make more money. Always ask for more ,when they say its to much say. ok fine someone else who will turn up each month.  Michael D

atoddyone

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 08:46:08 am »
hiya
i once had a custamer like this so all i did was tell all of my good paying custerms about him then when i clean he's windows for the last time i just got my old pole that i uesd to ues with my mop on the end put it to some nice muddy water
and away i went at it gave it a lovey drity clean if you like he soon came out and wanted them cleaning witch i did but not befor he payed up what he owed me chager him duble then drop him if he dos not come out then you have a big smile on ya face cos ya got him  ;D ;D ;D

dai

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2006, 08:26:44 pm »
This is one method I have used in the past with some success.
When a customer owes for 3 cleans, I ask a neighbor if they can help.
I say "I keep missing Mrs brown next door, would it be OK if she was to leave the money with you for me to pick up"? They usually agree to this. I then put a note through the none payers door telling them that as I keep missing them, I have asked Mrs Black next door if it was OK to leave the money with her, and she agreed.
Now the non payer knows, that Mrs black knows, that she hasn't payed.
Whilst the non payer may not give a toss about you, she usually cares what her neighbors think, and pays up. This method has worked for me quite a few times. Dai

marc al

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 08:41:49 pm »
  I like to leave people who have taken me for any amount for at least 6 months, then a rag that has been soaked in brake fluid accidentally finds its way onto thier car bonnet when it is parked somewhere.
  Shame one of my ex customers has got rid of their shiney BMW just before revenge is due, even more of a shame they have replaced it with a 911!!

THIS IS POSTED IN JEST (maybe!)

007 or what

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 06:16:09 pm »
super glue his locks.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

jeff1

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 06:33:54 pm »
Hi Guy's

I used to get the same problem, with a couple of none payers, and after giving up trying I would just dump them. and write it of to experiance.

I work in several small villages in somerset and you get to know the other wc's in the area, we meet up occasionally and have each others phone numbers, if one of us gets a bad payer we make contact with each other and put that person on our bad debtors list. if they then try to get another wc in the area they find it impossible. if they try to fob us of with the last wc was no good then we hit them with the bad debtors list, we don't pratt around with them anymore, and the word goes around villages very quickly pay the wc or loose them. we also have a system in place were if you do houses, etc and a for sale sign goes up we only do them if the customer is home, this way you won't loose your last payment when they leave. you get to know which customers will give or send payment, if they move, but i have hardened up over the years after loosing payment to several customers with for sale signs up.
I would recommend to any wc get to know your fellow workers in your area and create a bad debtors list

also like a few of you guy's I used to do them 3 times  befor i stopped doing them for bad payment, only if I know and trust a customer will I do this, apart from that its once and once only,

Jeff
Reflections

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 06:37:12 pm »
Every month, when I clean the houses next to her property, I always knock, never get an answer and leave a note.  I've been doing this for three months now; obviously I'm not cleaning her windows though.

I'll catch her one of these days; purely out of principle.  I've been nice though.  Had she been an able-bodied bloke, I maybe a little more pushy.

She coughed up last week; I received a cheque. 

Persistence pays!

I just kept shoving notes attached to envelopes through her door each month, after I cleaned the houses around where she lives.

Obviously I won't be back unless she gives me a blood-promise that she'll pay up within a reasonable time-frame.

I've still got another few dodgy customers though that haven't paid me yet from their first cleans.

But I won't let them off.

Be persistent; don't go down the 'vandilism route' is my advise.

scrimit2

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 06:41:09 pm »
Ive got this problem too! one customer owes me £48 another £21 and quite a few more like that, one of those customers apaarantly bragged that he doesnt have to pay for windows to be cleaned, to be honest they are complete waste of time the amount of time I have wasted trying to get the money, I could have earnt the money time and again, Ive thought about soaping there windows up, ive also considered making a huge bill and fitting on the upstairs of there house so the neighbours see.

although im most probably not going to get that money now, I thought I would try to stop it happening again, any ideas? apart from limiting times I clean without being paid,

I did consider if I could pass the debts to debt collectors, but really its my word against theres.

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 07:42:39 pm »
Scrim,

Don't stress about it. 

If you're in the area each month, do as I did, just keep shoving 'notes' through their door.

In the end they'll pay up, if you're persistant enough.

If they don't, just write an explanation note out and stick it in your accounts.

Make it tax-deductable.

If you've got to go out of your way to travel to these customers, don't bother. 

Make it tax-deductable.

At the end of the day, doing it this way means you haven't wasted your time.

The customer has only ripped off 'society'; rather than you.

AB windows

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 09:22:48 pm »
The best way i have found of getting money off unwilling customers is to soap up the windows every time you clean the round and refuse to remove it until you get what your owed!!! They'l soon come and open the door when they see you walking off!

Richy L

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 09:25:13 pm »
i dropped a note in his mouse today, telling him that if mapments were not settled i would be contacting a debt collection agency. i'm hoping this will scare him into paying.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 11:02:47 pm »
i dropped a note in his mouse today,

Bet that made him squeak! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

gaza

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 11:10:43 pm »
SAE IS THE ANSWER  TIED TO A BRICK ;)

GAZA ;D
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Richy L

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 11:34:46 pm »
im going to type that last post again .....

i dropped a note in his house today, telling him that if payments were not settled i would be contacting a debt collection agency. i'm hoping this will scare him into paying.

steve k

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2006, 09:10:38 am »
I never let them get away with it...I do not go out of my way, but when passing will put a SAE and reminder note in. I have a woman now who owes me £10...did them once, got paid there and then...went back 4 weeks later , done them and left a SAE for payment as she was out.
I have had no reply to several reminders left at her house and I KNOW she was in when I called to post reminders.
(I never work Saturdays BUT...!) I am going there today after reading this topic and cleaning with a soapy applicator then take my time putting kit away...if they come out, they are getting charged for 2 payments (£20) including the soapy one. I will ask for money up front and then get in van and drive away.
I will tell her that the payment is to cover the missed clean and my time and travelling...they can keep the soapy windows and find someone else.

mark dew

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 11:14:28 am »
I have had a couple of people who were late in paying and i'm sure one of them was in when i went to collect.
Went back the following day and no answer. Went in the evening, no answer.
So i went knocking the following week after 10pm.
She wasn't impressed and neither was i.
Got paid and kept on the job. We did have words though.
Don't ever let them rest!!

mark

Londoner

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2006, 09:56:56 am »
Its always going to happen that you get these sort of customers. At least in our business you only get knocked for a few quid.
How would you feel if you were a builder and got knocked for thousands?  My friends son does kitchens and bathrooms and he can tell you stories that would make you realise that the odd tenner here and there is not so bad.

dougster

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2006, 06:06:24 pm »
I have a simple method that pees the customer right of. I have only done this three times, and what a treat. pour some water over some soil, and make a ball of soft sloppy mud then climb my ladder and smear all the windows with the mud. Around here window cleaners dont go on your patch unless you ok it. So this means they are either are going to climb some ladders themselves and clean them or ask you. Then you say pay me what you owe me, plus double for the mucky windows and the money there and then or no clean windows.

Works a treat ,pees them off and gets your money back, and they think twice about doing it again, cheers dougster

simon w

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2006, 07:03:53 pm »
Leekson I've had this problem in the past and i know it's a pain in the A** but you really need to collect your money from this time waster you've done the work for him & you deserve to be paid for it!

dont clean his windows again but dont tell him this untill you've got whats owed to you. call around to see him and tell him that you have carried out your side of the bargain, ie you've cleaned his windows to a high standard & now you need to be paid for the work you have done if he says he's got no cash on him then tell him you will take a cheque. make sure he know's your not impressed with his attitude & that you want the money he owes you in order that you can both close the matter and get on with your lives.

Once he's paid you "if it's by cheque make sure it's cleared in your account first" tell him that you will no longer clean his windows as all bad debtors are taken from your residential lists. you'll soon replace him with a better customer.

Good luck & dont give up you've done the work now he has to pay... :)

colin.k

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2006, 06:55:57 pm »
had this problem myself.but this was small business customers. think the best
solution is to form a regional blacklist within your own area ,these scum just do the rounds with other cleaners .for warned is for armed so to speak.
can only work for the better for everybody.

colin.

baldeagle

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2006, 02:39:20 pm »
I've not read all the previous replies to this one, so my apologies if these have already been put forward.

1. Write a "final demand" informing him that you will be placing his name on "The National Window Cleaners Debt Register"
Yes, I know, but he doesn't, does he!

2. This second one might be favourite, because the first almost certainly won't work, if he hasn't paid up the now.

Send someone else round there, [preferably large-ish], at a different time to when you normally go, who doesn't look like a window cleaner.
If curiosity gets the better of the bugger, and he opens the door, your mate sticks foot in, [into the door, I mean!], and say's he is your collector.

3. I think I saw this on one of the previous that I did manage to read.

You can, at the end of the day, submit it as a "Bad Debt" on your tax return; I'm just doing my second one from startup, and I've got one for £12 [same house, two cleans].

Baldeagle in Staffs
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

B&S Cleaning

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2006, 10:00:00 pm »
I have always put a note in with customers bills on second visit where money is owed, asking for prompt payment & saying I wont be able to call again until account up to date. This has worked a treat for the past 3 years, I have only had to drop 3 customers in that time.

rosskesava

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2006, 11:07:11 pm »
If I have hassle getting payment I dump then, whatever the amount, and then I forget them.

The majority pay up fine but those odd one or two, forget them. It is not worth the hassle.

My attitude when losing a customer that mattered was to get more customers as then the lost non paying customer becomes irrelivent.

A few weeks ago a bloke asked me to do his front door and a bay window and as we were doing a whole pile less than 20yds from him I did the windows and put a 'WE DONE YOUR WINDOWS SO PLEASE SEND A CHEQUE' through his front door. Last week I saw him while we were doing the shops next to where he lives and he made some feeble excuse so I told him he was a pathetic, useless, feeble little worm and to keep the tenner. He was never intending to pay or maybe he hoped we would somehow not actually expect to get paid.

It's not worth the hassle. Just forget non payers.

gaza

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2006, 12:08:01 am »
super glue  the keyhole  if they wont come to the door they like to stay inside ;) ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO