This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

telboy

Water Ban?
« on: March 31, 2006, 01:50:03 pm »
I was talking to a Window Cleaning Area Manager to a national cleaning company today about the Hose Pipe Ban and how it would affect his WFP operators.

He said as he understood it the ban Did Not Affect Commercial Businesses
only Domestic users ?????? :-/

Telboy ;)

macc

Re: Water Ban?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:06:17 pm »
hi, hose pipe ban does not effect WFP, the drought order is the problem.  :(

if your WFP using say 300 ltrs a day, ban them.  :'(

if your COCA COLA or some other mass user using a zillian ltrs a day, no problem, carry on.  ???

dont see it myself. macc.  ???

Morph

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:39:18 pm »
Yeah, let's face it, Coka Cola is vital to life! ???

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:48:07 pm »
Its still classed as a food stuff though.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:50:38 pm »
HI Everyone

Alan, I am afraid I do not agree with your comment at all.

Window cleaning is a must to the window cleaner!! It pays the mortgage, feeds the kids, pays for the equipment and employs unemployed people.

I cannot see anyone in their right mind saying coca-cola is more important than paying the bills

Many Thanks

Andrew

ValueValeting

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:55:18 pm »
I bet it is to the staff at the cc factory, who would be in the same postion as us folk if the shoe were on the other foot. Not that it helps any of us much.

[Naive question] how much water does it take to create 300 litres of pure water for wfp [/naive question]

macc

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 03:03:03 pm »
ok, so to produce 300 ltrs you produce say 300 ltrs waste, so what, we need coca cola, after all, it employs a few hundred people & uses millions of ltrs of water a day, what the problem.  ???

macc

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 08:33:59 pm »
totally agree with you ANDREW,

ALAN, how am i going to buy my coke if i out of work.  ???

macc

ValueValeting

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 09:19:25 pm »
ok, so to produce 300 ltrs you produce say 300 ltrs waste, so what, we need coca cola, after all, it employs a few hundred people & uses millions of ltrs of water a day, what the problem.  ???

FWIW I'm based in Brighton and am subject to the same drought order as window cleaners, BUT WITHOUT the exemption of being able to go back to a "traditional" method of cleaning - I posted what was a fairly level headed point, so there is absolutely no need for that attempt of sarcasm.

Also while we are on the subject, car valeting wise we don't produce 300L of waste each day to get 300L of useable product. So the 600L a day you are mentioning would provide 2 valeters with a full days work - one of whom is not far off getting laid off while the boss goes looking for a job.

And your point was?

Morph

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 09:31:53 pm »
Someone with some marketing experience and a few connections, get on to Coke marketing.
Get them to plan their next advertising campaign using the "next generation" window cleaner with all his muscles, reaching up safely with his pole, stopping for a break in the noon day sun, as droplets of "pure water" come down bouncing off his brow, as he squints, looking skyward, but not enough to cool him!
 He needs a Coke to quench his thirst too.
As he does his all important job of cleaning those windows.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 09:46:56 pm »
hi all

what do we do though do we just carry on working and wait for someone to stop us ... ?

or do we just not clean .. problem is alot of the work i do is 3 story townhouses ...

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 09:58:16 pm »
Shawn

Waterfed poles are not banned yet.

Until there is an announcement from the water authorities it is ok to carry on using it.

I would not worry until it happens, the apwc and the fwc are both fighting the window cleaners corner on this.

I can already see 2 escape clauses around this ban if and when it happens.

Dave

ps incidently coca cola is a beverage ,so therefor is exempt from any such ban.

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 10:02:00 pm »
can we use pure coca cola ?  ;D

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

macc

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 11:09:24 am »
my point is i have a mortgage, bills, van payments, payments on equipment, insurances, 3 kids, the list goes on & on, its the same for all of us i no.

i was involved in a car accident 4 years ago & the injury has come back big time in my right elbow which needs quite a big opp. it got to the stage of toooo much pain about 8 months ago, the choise was give up w/c or invest in WFP. unfortunatly i invested, even doing trad g/f only will cause the injury to flair up. it may sound like an excuse to some but thats thats your oppinion.

my point also is they (THE WATER COMPANYS & THE GOVERNMENT) or not sorting out the cause of the problem.

THE GOVERNMENT keep giving permision to build more and more houses with out giving any thought to the inter structure to support these houses being biult. Its not just the water, its roads, schools, hospitals, doctors surgeries, the list goes on.

THE WATER COMPANIES They keep putting their charges up each year. If they worried about the leeks that is in the system instead of keep trying to make huge profits they could probably half the water shortage problem.

Combine all these facts together, whats their answer to the problem? Let's ban the user thats paying for it.

Thats what my point is! They are not sorting out the problem. They are just going for the easy target, so it looks as though they are doing something about it.

macc.  >:(

ValueValeting

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 12:03:27 pm »
Macc

I understand and agree with pretty much all your points on this subject, we are potentially on the wrong end of a shi**y stick.

As i can throw stones into the channel from where i live, I wonder how they would take a hose running over the beach into one of these http://www.watermakers.net/pro_offshore_series.htm

macc

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 04:45:57 pm »
thats an interseting site, the technoligy is there, maybe ill pass it on to SOUTHERN WATER, i think there reply will be along the lines, " if it dont come from one of our couple of resivours we dont wont to no." macc

sair

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 05:27:00 pm »
i ll think well all be down at seaford or eastbourne with a bottle of coke every sunday getting our water for the  weeks work.

Essentially Pure Ltd

AuRavelling79

Re: Water Ban? New
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 07:53:15 pm »
But surely you'll get your water from an area which has no ban won't you? And you supplement that by using water you've collected from your roof during winter in water butts haven't you? And if necessary you can tell folk that can't you? ;)

BTW I went for one of my mountain walks in the Brecon Beacons yesterday - the water in the reservoir we walked by was pouring over the top races of the 156ft high dam like a waterfall. In Australia they can divert a whole mountain river system to send water to the heavily populated south-east - why can't we have a "grid" system in tiny little Britain to send water from the wet west to the dry east?

Because like the railways, the water companies have no interest in long term service and supply - only in short term profits. Don't get me started! It needs a National project and soon!
It's a game of three halves!