Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

carpetclean

cowboys
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:51:17 am »
my wife who teaches english has a student who was quoted over £250 for a job to clean her carpets[ bearing in mind this woman earns next to nothing] they came to do tthe job and i understand took the money and the carpets are no different when dried. i am trying to find out the name of the company so i can post it on here hoping  to track down the w@@@@r and name and shame. she wants me to rectify, think i will offer my services for the cost of petrol and chemicals to put her faith back in the rest of us
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

HolmansUKLTD

Re: cowboys
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:11:52 am »
It wasn't Chris was it? :o
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

craigp

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 08:20:42 am »
are you sure it was not the carpet, rented student accomadation often has carpets fit for the bin not cleaning, or that it was not a pure white wool?

just making sure you know the facts before you lynch them.

Ian Hare

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 08:50:03 am »
The state of the carpet before 'cleaning' is not relevant.  ;)

They have undertaken to clean it, have taken money to do so, and have allegedly failed to deliver.

A professional would pre-qualify expected results and advise before starting.
They would also be back very quickly to address any concerns.
Regards Ian.

craigp

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:10:05 am »
yeah you are right i guess, they should have addressed expectations, then left it with customer to decide weather it was worth going ahead.

capet clean,  let us know id be interested if it is bad workmen ship? trashed carpets? or expectations to high? maybe over priced as well?

really you need to see the job. ;D

carpetclean

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 12:40:08 pm »
i will be going to see it shortly and get all relevant information
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:41:39 pm »
A professional would ....... be back very quickly to address any concerns.

Ian is exactly right and has put it in a nutshell.

Everybody can make a mistake, the sign of a reputable business is how the mistake is dealt with.

I find an apology and a bottle of wine (costs less than £3 from Asda, no dear stuff) works absolute wonders.

Put the job right, politely, promptly, and you have almost certainly got that customer for life.

stains-away

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 02:09:33 pm »
Has the guy who cleaned the carpets been contacted and given a chance to remedy the situation?

i am trying to find out the name of the company so i can post it on here hoping to track down the w@@@@r and name and shame.

Did she not have contact details for the company?
I'm not condoning shoddy work if that is the case, but i do believe the company concerned should be contacted and given a chance to rectify their error before 3rd parties become involved in a dispute.

Did the client have a copy of a written survey highlighting any concerns over the carpets condition?
my wife who teaches english has a student who was quoted over £250 for a job to clean her carpets[ bearing in mind this woman earns next to nothing

If someone whos poorly paid takes their car into a garage for servicing/repairs does this entitle them to a discount?
Like i have said,i do not condone shoddy work,the client should get in contact with the original cleaner and try to resolve the problem, she knew the price before she authorised the work to be done so its the quality of service that is the issue not the cost, "naming and shaming " a cmpany before they have had chance to sort out an error could be (and probably would be in a legal sense) termed as slanderous, like i have said previously shoddy work wind me up as well, but id say very little until i were sure of the facts :)

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:12:17 pm »
If someone whos poorly paid takes their car into a garage for servicing/repairs does this entitle them to a discount?

The sad thing is that people who are poorly off end up choosing on price alone, and this is where the cowboys strike.

Taking Andy's example, a poorly paid person would most likely not take their car to a main dealer but to an "under the arches" operation which may well not have the equipment or skills to do as good a job, but charges less. The imaginary garage would undoubtedly use the cheapest engine oil, resulting in more wear than a dearer synthetic oil.

PLEASE let's not get this thread onto an argument about garage prices though........ with a Mercedes 4x4 I am well familiar with £700 plus for a service, while my wife pays Hyundai £200 (and I am not saying Hyundai do a poorer job, so lets avoid that argument as well!)

A person who is poorly paid would get from A to B by bus, 2nd class rail, maybe hitch-hike.

Us wealthy carpet cleaners  ;D fly first class, that is when our private jets are in for a service  ;D

Getting back to the point of the thread, it is a damn shame that cowboy traders prey on the poorer and more vulnerable members of society.

Of course, the poorly paid student is studying to get a well paid job in later years........... it's the pensioner that I have more sympathy for.

tomh

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 03:15:59 pm »
can you post any pic's of there carpet's ! not being funny but could be trying to take advantage of your kind mrs ! there are a few out there
also unfourtunity there are a fair share of ars*h***s too !
who would take advantage of nice people so best of luck
do think it's right they should be the first contact its a shame because bad news travels faster than good could put people off having them  cleaned &  replace them !

carpetclean

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 04:02:46 pm »
just to clarify my other half teaches english as a foreign language and the student in question is from sardinia and in her 30's  a very nice lady with a moderate to low income.she is not a young student type who is drunk most nights and takes a leak on the carpet  when it suits
 she is a normal house proud person who expects good results when paying for a service. dont worry as i said i will investigate further probably monday now as i am too busy this week as she lives in east ham and i am the other side of london in surrey. i will also contact the company in question if i think there is something to rectify so they can at least have the chance to do so. its alright people thinking why doesnt she contact them direct and complain but her english is not that good also some people find it hard to confront which leaves them open to such practice
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 04:31:44 pm »
Peter,

... a young student type who is drunk most nights and takes a leak on the carpet  when it suits...
;D ;D

I like  ::) your sense of humour.  ;D ;D

... its alright people thinking why doesnt she contact them direct and complain but her english is not that good also some people find it hard to confront which leaves them open to such practice...

This  ::) clarifies a lot.

I know exactly what you mean, as my English is not perfect as well as yours au pair’s lady, however if I ever had problems, I never thought that somebody tried to take advantage of me because I was not English, (sh*t happens every day to many people around regardless their nationalities)

If you do not try solving problem by your self you will never be able to do it, even if your English improves a lot.  If she would like to study English this is a real situation where she can test what she has learnt. 

It is nice of you that you are ready to help I must say.

Regards,

Arthur