This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Devonbubbles

Gutter vac
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:08 pm »
I'm looking at getting a gutter vac, seen a few on eBay. Is a Clarkes  30 any good and what am I looking out for  :)

Smudger

Re: Gutter vac
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »
Depends on what you really have in mind for gutter vac'ing work, if it's occasion domestic work and your going to use the customers electricity then almost any vac will suck the leaves out.

However if your going to do lots of heavily loaded gutters and want to clear the swannecks from the ground, clear 3 or even 4 storey gutters. Then I would say you need at least 3000 watts of power. ( the more the better ) and a genny.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:36:23 pm »
Clarkre 30 would be useless even using it on bungalows.

Don't be taken in by the sales patter and/or even some of the vids on the net as they are way underpowered for gutter clearing.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:41:28 pm »
Guttervac 4 storey gutters :o are you raving as is bad enough trying to use a guttervac on 2 and thats using a 4200 watt vac  ;D

You defo can't beat a good hand job...So be prepared to still use ladders as guttervacs even the most powerful ones are not all what they are cracked up to be.

Depends on what you really have in mind for gutter vac'ing work, if it's occasion domestic work and your going to use the customers electricity then almost any vac will suck the leaves out.

However if your going to do lots of heavily loaded gutters and want to clear the swannecks from the ground, clear 3 or even 4 storey gutters. Then I would say you need at least 3000 watts of power. ( the more the better ) and a genny.

Darran

robert mitchell

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »
i use a nilfisk 30t 1800 watt vac with carbon poles from grippa and 50mm hose unto three storeys with no problems at all.

I have just done a day and have lifted out big lumps of stuff growing that was a over a foot long .

don't be taken in purely by the wattage , its the suction specs that count and the nilfisk is nearly as powerful as most of the 2400 watt vacs that are on sale.

its only cost me £113 in machine mart .

The carbon gutterlite poles are a delight after using alloy for a year -much much lighter and easier to use.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:57:29 pm »
Really ;D

i use a nilfisk 30t 1800 watt vac with carbon poles from grippa and 50mm hose unto three storeys with no problems at all.

I have just done a day and have lifted out big lumps of stuff growing that was a over a foot long .

don't be taken in purely by the wattage , its the suction specs that count and the nilfisk is nearly as powerful as most of the 2400 watt vacs that are on sale.

its only cost me £113 in machine mart .

The carbon gutterlite poles are a delight after using alloy for a year -much much lighter and easier to use.

robert mitchell

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:03:38 pm »
yes really .

if i wasn't so lazy i would make a video .

The only problem i get when using a gutter vac is when the tiles overhang the gutter too far or I'm a bit clumsy and knock an end cap off  ;D
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »
What about slipped tiles blocking gutter runs, sods that get matted under flashing in corners, badly blocked downspouts, narrow gap like you have already mentioned etc...Like I say guttervacs are not that great as the suppliers make out the are even using carbon poles.

Yep if you knock and end cap or swanneck off, damage the joint clips so the joint starts leaking, can't remove sods for what ever reason etc like I have done in the past then you are screwed on 3 storey work unless you liike going up on ladders that height. ;D

yes really .

if i wasn't so lazy i would make a video .

The only problem i get when using a gutter vac is when the tiles overhang the gutter too far or I'm a bit clumsy and knock an end cap off  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:37:39 pm »
C'com smurf, gat with the program 😄

I've gutter vac 4 storey and with Ali poles 😬

3 storeys easy peasey,  however I will be investing in carbon poles soon 😋

Not one to argue, but get the right vac and make up a few special nozzles and you don't need ladders. I know that some on here will never accept that fact but then ask them what vac they use....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 04:46:52 pm »
What about slipped tiles blocking gutter runs push them back into place that's where Ali pole and 135 degree bend win over carbon fibre and silly silicone bendssods that get matted under flashing in corners, badly blocked downspouts,strong vac will pull these out, shaped nozzle never fails narrow gap like you have already mentionedi have a nozzle narrower than my fingers, if that won't go in nothing will etc...Like I say guttervacs are not that great as the suppliers make out the are even using carbon poles.

Yep if you knock and end cap or swanneck off, damage the joint clips so the joint starts leaking, can't remove sods for what ever reason etc like I have done in the past then you are screwed on 3 storey work unless you liike going up on ladders that height. ;D
never happened yet! Approaching something like 600 gutter clears over 4 years

Best regards
Darran

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:47:48 pm »
I've been using guttervacs for yonks too bud so I know the score

The best one I have heard of was one chap using carbon poles that got the nozzle stuck in a downspout 3 storey up and the top section of the carbon poles came apart. He posted a pic that I can't find now with it sticking out of the building with his cam still on the pole too. That was the final straw for the poor chap as got a right roasting from the building owner as took him a few days to get someone with a long enough ladder to retrieve it. Needless to say he packed it in after that job. ;D ;D ;D

C'com smurf, gat with the program

I've gutter vac 4 storey and with Ali poles

3 storeys easy peasey,  however I will be investing in carbon poles soon

Not one to argue, but get the right vac and make up a few special nozzles and you don't need ladders. I know that some on here will never accept that fact but then ask them what vac they use....

Darran

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 04:53:54 pm »
Unfortunately I have to agree with smurf. I've had end caps fall off, swan necks blocked, swan necks falling off and gutter clips popping open. I've also been beaten by gutters so close to the tiles that I can't even get a four mill spike in.

I use ladders too and inspect after sucking them out. Usually the nozzle misses the back centimeter of sticky crud and can't possibly get under the flashing of a corner gulley.

Having said that they are useful.

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 05:02:54 pm »
Yes I remember the pics, was on the other forum if I recall, but that's operator error surely ?

I agree many of those companies who throw a wet/dry vac together with some Ali tube, and silicone bends and make grossly exaggerated claims which only leads to disappointment

We use the omni vac - great tool, never let me down, but experience has shown that I needed some non standard nozzle ends, I also gained some good knowledge from the FIL who was a builder and advised me on what you can and can't do with guttering and how to slip tiles back into place.

Done plenty of commercial stuff as well, but I know of one building approx 45 ft up with wide box gutters with fields and woodland growing out of it that would totally defeat any vac - but I know this and accept that access equipment, shovel, chainsaw, pick axe would be the only way to clear that sucker.

But generally vacs will clear as good, if not better than by hand and the most important thing SAFER

Darran

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 05:07:58 pm »
Is that the same omni vac you have used for 4 years?

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 05:09:07 pm »
Hi Dave, from previous threads we know we are on opposite sides as to the usefulness and effectiveness of gutter vacs,

Hopefully food for thought...

If your called in to unblock a gutter run,   And you do, but leave a small line of crud under the tile line have you not done as requested? The gutter is unblocked and free running ?

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

Yes,  had a couple of new motors in it now, mind you..

Darran

Dave Willis

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 05:15:52 pm »
Hi Dave, from previous threads we know we are on opposite sides as to the usefulness and effectiveness of gutter vacs,

Hopefully food for thought...

If your called in to unblock a gutter run,   And you do, but leave a small line of crud under the tile line have you not done as requested? The gutter is unblocked and free running ?

Darran

Depends how fussy you are - I'm fussy! That line of crud is the perfect compost to grow next seasons hanging gardens in. Don't get me wrong vacs are useful - I have three but they ain't brilliant.

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 05:20:53 pm »
My first omni vac lasted me just over a year as bought the poxy yellow top one from them that they stopped supplying as could not get spares from the manufacture so I was stuffed. Since then I'm on my 6th guttervac as the frames and motors don't last me very long  ;D

Yes,  had a couple of new motors in it now, mind you..

Darran

tom20001

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 05:28:10 pm »
funny thing is i was just about to come on and ask about gutter vacs!

im thinking of buying one tonight ,  im jumping the gun a little as i priced commercial job with fair bit of gutter to be cleaned out and im thinking of goin for it nd buy it!

opinions on these guys -

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/nilfisk-multi-30t-wet-dry-vacuum-cleaner

http://www.grippatank.co.uk/vacuum/high-level-vacuum-poles-kits-spares/carbon-poles-upto-60ft/3805/gutter-lite-high-level-clamped-vacuum-poles-detail.html

its a bit of a rush lads but im on ireland so i would prob want to order in next day or so

cheers

tom20001

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 05:32:01 pm »
compared to guttersucker guys mite be a good comparison

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Gutter-Cleaning-Vacuum-Machine-Gutter-Sucker-/221111472670

savings of about 350 euro from what i can see but is guttersucker better