This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MisterC

Flow rate
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »
I am a newbie to this game and am after any advice about
Flow rate settings to a water fed pole. I have read that about
1 litre per minute is correct but this does not seem a lot to me.
However I also read that a common mistake for newbies is to
Have to much pressure and the water splashes off the window
onto the area above where your rinsing to leave marks.

Any advice appreciated.

colin bird

Re: Flow rate
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:29:39 pm »
I am a newbie to this game and am after any advice about
Flow rate settings to a water fed pole. I have read that about
1 litre per minute is correct but this does not seem a lot to me.
However I also read that a common mistake for newbies is to
Have to much pressure and the water splashes off the window
onto the area above where your rinsing to leave marks.

Any advice appreciated.
not sure what controller you have but mine when you increase the caliber tigon that is pressure, flow rate is the amount of flow,hope that makes sense

MisterC

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:24 pm »
Thanks Colin.  It is the flow rate I need help with

P.C.S.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »
My understanding is that pressure at the brush head in any system is governed by the the various components...

Smaller bore pipework, smaller jet nozzles etc. will give an increase in pressure.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:10 pm »
i use a high flow rate all the time unless im cleaning church windows or very old leaded windows that leak a bit.i work faster and the finish is usually better! ;)
price higher/work harder!

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:01 pm »
Are you vanmount or backpack etc

MisterC

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:31 pm »
It is a Brodex van mount

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 09:44:36 pm »
1L a min sounds really low?

On my backpack i was using 2.1L a min.

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:12:00 pm »
Just go with a high flow on a van mount.You can gradually lower it to save water and overspray etc.

I rinse with brush on glass which helps to contain water and keep away from top frames.

Dont know what lpm I use just what feels write over time.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:13:03 pm »
I am trying out 3mm jets tomorrow just to see how they perform :)

MisterC

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:17:42 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.   Sounds like I need to
Experiment with increased flow rate

Jonny 87

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:19 pm »
Remember that flow and pressure and two different things.

You could but a 100psi pump, or a 30 psi pump and both can have the same flow rate.

Just means one will be better suited to working at heights.

Let us know how the 3mm jets are H2o!
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Mike #1

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 07:49:39 am »

Surely it will be like rinsing with a watering can your flow rate will need to be right up in order for the water to flow at the right rate for a good rinse .

1mm jets all the way high pressure rinse works faster i currently have my flow controller  set at 30 using cold water , then its at 23 in the warmer weather . Mike

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 08:03:01 am »

Surely it will be like rinsing with a watering can your flow rate will need to be right up in order for the water to flow at the right rate for a good rinse .

1mm jets all the way high pressure rinse works faster i currently have my flow controller  set at 30 using cold water , then its at 23 in the warmer weather . Mike

Who knows, Its gonna cost £4 to try it out. I experiment with lots of WC ideas. I only have a few big houses to do today so i can mess about and it wont cost me money. Only time.

Mike #1

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 08:56:37 am »
After using 1mm jets for a few years ,  I had to use a brush with 2mm jets for 20 mins and it was a nightmare , Personally i prefer smaller jets . Mike

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:53:35 am »
My understanding is that pressure at the brush head in any system is governed by the the various components...

Smaller bore pipework, smaller jet nozzles etc. will give an increase in pressure.

Flow rate is a personal thing, In an ideal you are aiming to use the minimum amount of water required for each job This may in some case be on 1LTR a a min or higher. Generally a higher flow rate during the rinse will give a better finish.

The ability to alter the flow rate can be useful. But as the above comment to a point the flow rate is governed by the restrictions you place in the system, these restrictions also increase the velocity of the water creating the fine a jet that bounces.

Getting the balance is a matter of trial and error, Your system does give you the ability to control the pump and pressure created.

This article may help http://www.springltd.co/node/137
Also have a look at windowcleaningmagazine.co.uk as it contains a number of good articles written by guys in the industry
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:43 am »
This is a perfectly timed thread for me as this morning I went and WFPd my first windows - my own haha, although I'm in a downstairs flat and found cleaning the door a bit of a bugger - top half fine, middle bit pole at 90 degrees, bottom and sill pole is nearly upside down, I don't think this is right but I don't want to trad the downstairs anymore!

Anyway I set the flow rate to 35 to start with and it did seem a little slow but I'm just having a cuppa and some lunch to see what the results are like before going out to a couple of good customers to use as guinea pigs and will do theirs on a 40 rate I think.

Dave Mills

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »
2L a minute measured with the brush head at waist height is right for us.

If in a hurry might increase it to 3L.

Remember that if you increase flow from 1L/min to 2L/min it may save you water.  1L/min and I would  be rinsing forever.  2L and it sheets easily so much, much quicker.  I reckon I would be more than twice as fast with 2L/min than 1L/min so using less water overall.

James Bulton

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:49:25 pm »
The flow of the water at high pressure has only one neg thing its splashes if rinsing off the glass.Which I do not do.I personally use 7 lit a min and the reason you need more water when floating dirt of the glass. What I loose in water I gain in time spent on each job.I have plenty water and can easy refill but need more hours in some days.

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 01:12:39 pm »
At 35 the flow is 0.4L per minute.  The AutoCal on the pump went to 49 but that's only about 0.65L per minute - yes I'm out filling jugs and timing it!

It looks like I might have to go up to about 70 on the pump, does this mean it's operating at 70% capacity?  Seems very high and the pump will burn out quicker, not to mention use up the van battery quicker in the process.  What are others pump flow rates set at?  Will winding the hose onto the reel too tightly affect the flow rate?  I'm not saying mine is excessively tight but would winding it on more loosely help?