This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

For the past six months I've been using an Ionic 18' residential pole and thought it was really good.  But I bought it second-hand and it's thoroughly knackered.

So I've been using my Unger poles. 

I like the:

light-weight of them; you can just use the sections you need; therefore no extra weight.

I like having my hose outside the pole;it gives me extra-reach since I use a backpack and don't carry a hose reel)

I like the really thin section of the pole, which is great for doing ground floor work.  It weighs absolutely nothing.

I also like the way the parts are replaceable; so you can buy them serperately when they wear out, or you can buy the sections individually (Ian_Giles lost one of his ;))

The only thing that lets them down is the 'twisting cones' to raise or lower the pole.

I'm sure I've read somewhere here that there's a new Unger locking clamp. 

Does anyone use one and is it compatible with old Unger poles?

windolene

Hi Tosh,

Just back from Windex, was looking at poles for my backpack & was surprised at how light & easy to use the Ionics 18ft pole was!  I am after a 24 ft  pole which Ionics said they do but did not take to the show, strange!

I popped down to B&Q today to buy my hose connections from lance to pole but got in a right muddle & ended up buying nothing. Despite some of the other lads posting what connections we should be buying Iam afraid it has got the better of me. My daughter did say to me once that I am not the fizziest drink in the fridge.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

Jeff Brimble

Think it was Omni and Tucker that have new clamps Tosh. You dont need to tighten the clamps as musc as you think you do. Always keep spare washers in stock. You can turn the washers thro 180 degrees for a bit if they start slipping.

gaza

ACTUALLY: GONE POSH AVE WE TOSH, ACTUALLY Unger have drop a bombshell,
there  attempt to get into wfp seems to ave belly flopped
THIS IS MY OPION ONLY[WELL NOT JUST MINE] Talking to peeps at Windex.
The concept of water running up the middle is brilliannt in its concept,but the joining together of the pole,while its up to extend it seems downright dangerous,if not very
difficult,but deff expensive
 gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Ian_Giles

The new Unger pole is a very good piece of kit indeed, incredibly light and even at 50ft its still very rigid.....but what a pain to extend!
I like the concept of it, but on some jobs you'll have bits of pole all over the shop :o
And it's so fat too!
Many of the various systems use rigid goosenecks, but I hate them!
Reaching over a new conservatory with that new unger setup will be easy in one respect, but just like many of the other poles, getting at that lower set on a sah window will be a total pain as you simply cannot angle the brush up to reach the top of the glass.
With their old systems you can at least attach the elbow joint.
The plastic one won't last long I know, and the cast one is heavy, but it is so versatile!
And of course the new poles are very expensive, ok maybe if you have lots of very high commercial work, but quite an outlay if you are doing mostly domestic work.
I just wish their was an industry standard with brushes and the manner in which they attach to poles.
The Brodex brush is incredibly light for instance, but it'll only fit on one of their poles (I think)
I was hoping to have come away with some gear, but hardly anything was there to buy!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

brett walker

Highjack finished

The old unger pole where you keep your pipe on the outside seems better

I saw the new one at the show and thought it was crap the price was outragous in my opinion

Brett.

gaza

TOSH:SORRY PAL DIDNT MEAN TO HIJACK YOUR POST.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

D.Salkeld_Ltd

I am going WFP before the end of the month and intend to use my Unger Telepole.
I already use it with a Backflip or scrim in a clamp,

I am sure it will be fine to use and it is pleasing to read Tosh's post confirming my theory.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

MNWC

Hi all
 just reading above posts i have just bought an unger 24foot optilock pole but tomorrow going to quote for a three story office block not too sure weather pole will reach !

Does any one know if unger sell add ons or am i going to have to fork out another few quid for the 30 footer !!

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing  :-\

Jeff Brimble

See if you can exchange it for the telepole 5 section as the opti is not interchangeable.

Ian_Giles

Re: Unger Poles - I've been using mine and they're actually very good...
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 10:31:09 pm »
The only poles I use are the Unger ones but whether I have the optilock or the telepole I have no idea!! :-\  and they can be adapted to extend up to 42ft, which will give you a maximum possible reach of around 50ft depending how tall you are!
24ft will allow you to reach the majority of 3 storey properties without a problem.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 10:52:03 pm »
Ian, you have the Tele Pole.

Peter

matt

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 11:08:23 pm »
i use 2 unger tele poles

1 is 3 X 2m for all my domestic

1 is 3 X 3m for my comercail stuff

i find them great

MNWC

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 07:48:12 am »
The only poles I use are the Unger ones but whether I have the optilock or the telepole I have no idea!! :-\  and they can be adapted to extend up to 42ft, which will give you a maximum possible reach of around 50ft depending how tall you are!
24ft will allow you to reach the majority of 3 storey properties without a problem.

Ian

Just dug paperwork out, i have a unger teleplus
How do you adapt them to above length ?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 02:22:27 pm »
You copy the washer pattern on the opposite end of the N04 or No 5 section and put an additional cone on upside down, this allows you to add 2 other new sections to get to 42ft. (Peter sells the double ended ones) After which it tends to max out as the pole starts to bend back on itself under its own weight, although I have got to 46ft with much care. To go higher you need an Omni, Ergolite, or Tucker. All are heavy and its an art form using them by yourself.
ps. I am having lots of fun with my featherlite fishing poles and am currently at 13.2 metres and working at getting to 18m- my highest job.

MNWC

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:45:56 pm »
Thanks Jeff
 But i have now solved the problem with carbon fibre awning pole ;) 2 jubilee clips and an old pole in garage

total spend £1.40 (and an afternoon in lost earnings ) :'(

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 10:05:34 pm »
I bought my unger telepole with my trolley from Peter Fogwill - I've replaced the top three sections once at a cost of £50 and now use the top 4 sections (24ft) for most of my 2/3 floor work and over conservatories etc). The hose runs up the outside.

The final bit of pole which is just a piece of aluminium with two holes drilled in it to lock on the brush is simplicity itself. I have used the original pole's top section to make a downstairs pole of 600mm length which can either be tucked into your belt or if you still use your trolley just clip it to it with pipe clips.

I do the upstairs, unclip the brush and clip on the short pole and do the downstairs without having to hold the pole sideways. I can reach up to 9ft off the ground with it. The angled neck of the brush lets me work in narrow walkways as well. The added 600mm means that I can stand well away from the window and avoid wet feet, bushes etc.

I rarely use the other sections of the Unger pole (which will extend to 42ft) - but when I do go above 24ft and certainly 30ft - then the unger telepole is too whippy and uncontrollable for my taste.

I like lightweight stuff - I'd rather replace it twice as often and have less wear and tear on the muscles and back! And at £50 for 18ft it's not gonna break the bank!
It's a game of three halves!