This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zeusjazmin

new ladders
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:01:51 pm »
hello i am looking for a bit of advice regarding ladders
i need them to reach approx 30 feet
i can get a double extention or triple that both reach the same height ,but was wondering are there any advantages/disadvantages  with the double or triple?
any thoughts would be appreciated
thanks

Sir Squeaky

Re: new ladders
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:09:16 pm »
I'd get yourself a triple, for the simple reason that when you don't need the third piece (which is most of the time) you can detatch it and it's then smaller and lighter to carry around.

I had a choice of a 14 rung 2-tier, or a 10 rung 3-tier.
I only need the third piece for about 5 minutes a month and my ladder is light and manouevrable.(if that's spelt right!)

Careful using the "L" word around here lately mind...  :o

Rog.(I have my uses, you wouldn't be without me now ;D)

dave0123

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 10:12:54 pm »
Get some articulated feet on the bottom as well much more grip  on the floor... much more better than those silly plastic ones that come with the ladders n wear out in days ::) useless!

Dave
Dave.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 10:14:44 pm »
Although they'll grip better on hard surfaces, won't they sit on top of grass and slide, rather than digging in? ???

I assume they're flat bottomed?

dave0123

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:20:07 pm »
well they seem fine with me tbh erm they have nobblies on the bottom they push down when u stand on the ladder on hard survice make a sort of suction type connect if u understand lol i did think about this myself before buying some but grass never had no problmes still grip very well

Dave.
Dave.

JohnL

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 10:54:06 pm »
sorry, but IMHO going 30 foot up a ladder these days is crackers! Its unsafe at the best and very likely to break all the rules on health and safety re WAH

and yes, what little WC I do is all trad so I dont have a Trad v WFP bias

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 11:34:53 pm »
Yet another thread ruined then.

Might as well lock it guys.... :(

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 12:00:51 am »
yes i agree with u john he is a very naughty boy cleaning windows on a 30 ft ladder

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:38:23 am »
Yet another thread ruined then.

Might as well lock it guys.... :(

Not really "ruined" Squeaky.  I may be wrong but I thought going up 30 feet was illegal even under the old regulations - so this isn't one of those ladder vs wfp debates IMO.
I used to use a triple 3.5 metre (11 foot) way back on a couple of jobs but it was nowhere near fully extended so stayed within the law.

trevor perry

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 09:48:46 am »
you all say it is illegal to use 30ft ladders then why are companies still being allowed to produce ladders upto 66ft high
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 09:51:47 am »
you all say it is illegal to use 30ft ladders then why are companies still being allowed to produce ladders upto 66ft high

I'm not sure but I think the difference is about "climbing a ladder to gain access" and "working from a ladder".  Clearly, working from a ladder carries a higher risk than merely using it for access.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 12:37:19 pm »

Probably for the same reason they sell cars that go over 70mph.

It's not the seller at fault, but, how the end user uses it.

Tie the ladder off every 2meters, have stabaliser etc. etc. abd you can use them at 30'

williamx

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 01:40:25 pm »
and wear a Parachute ;D

JohnL

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 02:39:59 pm »
  .  .  you all say it is illegal to use 30ft ladders then why are companies still being allowed to produce ladders upto 66ft high  .  .  .

What makes you think ladder makers only make ladders for Window Cleaners?

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 02:53:49 pm »
  .  .  you all say it is illegal to use 30ft ladders then why are companies still being allowed to produce ladders upto 66ft high  .  .  .

What makes you think ladder makers only make ladders for Window Cleaners?

JohnL

Those who live in a bubble think that way.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 04:11:27 pm »
As Roger said, go for the triple, and make sure you have articulated feet on them.

Working 30ft plus is good for constipation though, particularly on a windy day :o

If you are using it for commercial accounts think carefully before you go ahead.

For years I worked up to 35ft off ladders, but for the last year or two of using them I was becoming increasingly worried about being caught.

So take care.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

zeusjazmin

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 02:11:02 pm »
thanks for the advice guys,i will find out this week if i need to buy the triple extention,its really only for about 20 windows ,all the rest are ground and first floor,i will let you know how i get on
btw the contract states that all sills must be wiped dry,would wfp be ok for this,im not wfp but just curious

williamx

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 02:32:21 pm »
thanks for the advice guys,i will find out this week if i need to buy the triple extention,its really only for about 20 windows ,all the rest are ground and first floor,i will let you know how i get on
btw the contract states that all sills must be wiped dry,would wfp be ok for this,im not wfp but just curious

If you want to dry the sills all you need to do is wrap a towel around the brush head and mop the excess water up, whats left should dry pretty quickly.

If you are only cleaning 20 windows, I would concider using a wfp system, to set up a basic di system should cost you around £300 which includes a pole to reach this height, how much are these ladders going to cost?