Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tonner0

Advice on vouchers
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:43:16 am »
Just wondering what advice you guys could give me on doing some vouchers to try and keep customers coming back. I am thinking "10% off next time you have carpet cleaned", and voucher lasting up to 2 years. Should I print it on paper or light card and what sort of size would you suggest. Should it be able to be used for custy's friends too?  Your thoughts on what works and what doesn't would be appreciated. Merry Christmas to all!

david@zap-clean

Re: Advice on vouchers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:33:57 pm »
If you're any good they'll call you back anyway. 
So why bother discounting a job when they want you anyway?

Discounts are for attracting new customers (IMHO).
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:29:13 pm »
Have the same carpet  cleaned again within 6 months then they get it for free.

As long as while you are there they get another carpet cleaned

Or have it cleaned again within a year and you will do it for free and also give the a crisp new £10 note.

Or my favourite , have it cleaned again and you will buy them a speedboat :D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

maxcampbell

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:18:07 pm »
We give 3 vouchers with each job - 1 for themselves (£25) off the next job, and 2 to pass on to friends with £20 off for the friend and £20 to the customer for the referral.

We've been doing it about a year, and are just starting to get a significant number of repeats using them. We also get a lot of repeats not using them, even though we know they were given one, and we only credit the value if the voucher is presented.

We used to put a 12 month validity on them, but now leave them open-ended.

To put the value in context we have £120 min job value, and ave. ticket about £240.

I can't give figures to show it works, but we'll carry on for now.

tonner0

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:37:58 pm »
  I like that idea Max, thanks, I may well try that. I do car valeting as well as carpets and want to drop the valeting if I can get enough carpet cleaning to do so want to build up my customers. It would be interesting to have others opinions as well, especially on the thought that discounts should be for new customers. Thank you all for your responses.

neil 47

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:01:08 am »
If you're any good they'll call you back anyway.  
So why bother discounting a job when they want you anyway?

Discounts are for attracting new customers (IMHO).

David what do you call the bloke who cleans your windows ? bet you dont know his name . they forget you in 98% of the time.

unless you actively remarket to them with letters

why else would Mike put out 4000 leaflets a year , by your reckoning he shouldnt have to .

Its a numbers game and you get a few re peats thats it .
IICRC

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:19:11 am »
neil, David is righ, if your good thay will call you back, thay will keep your bussiness card, if your not good they will not.
my many customers asking me for bussiness card to leave with them before I going to leave it myself.
I am so busy this christmass thanks to massive recomendations and coming back customers and only a bit over year in bussiness.
And they remember my name, which is not english.

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:56:06 am »
I've told this tale many times before but worth repeating. A carpet cleaner who was starting up had to do a business course in order to get a grant. Part of the course entailed doing market research. He was at a loss at how to do this so his tutor asked him how many people get their carpets cleaned. He couldn't answer obviously so he was told to find out. What he did was stand outside a supermarket with a clipboard and asked people if they'd ever had their carpets professionally cleaned. Of the ones who said they had over 80% couldn't name the company that had done it. Frightening, but as has been said earlier not surprising. As a cleaner you are not that important in peoples lives unlike their dentist, doctor etc. Also a lot just think every cleaner is as good as the next unless you educate them otherwise when you do get the chance.
Regarding referals. I used to leave 10 x 10% discount vouchers with the customer to pass on to friends and family. These had the customers name written on so I could see where they came from. If I got 3 referals then the customer was given £20. I think in the 2 years I ran this it cost me the grand total of £120. Howevr I did also get loads of ones and twos which only cost me the 10% discount.

JandS

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:58:00 am »
Must admit I've gone to houses that have had there carpets cleaned before by someone else.
When I ask them who it was I bet 9 out of 10 can't remember.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

neil 47

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 03:04:48 pm »
neil, David is righ, if your good thay will call you back, thay will keep your bussiness card, if your not good they will not.
my many customers asking me for bussiness card to leave with them before I going to leave it myself.
I am so busy this christmass thanks to massive recomendations and coming back customers and only a bit over year in bussiness.

Bullpoop
IICRC

Steve Chapman

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
I have quite a few customers who I've been to more than a couple of times and they still ring me as if its the first time !

I say "I've been to you before " and they say "no I dont think so"   ::)roll

In fact some deny they've even ever had there carpets cleaned before  ::)roll

Bizarre !

People got short memories when its come to perfunctory things like cleaning, they just want to get it done and move on to the more exciting things in life !

Steve

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:34:55 pm »

neil 47

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 06:21:54 pm »

Bullpoop

if you say, let it be :)

I know so , been at it more than a year . You will never make a living of domestic repeats .
IICRC

maxcampbell

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 07:40:37 pm »

Bullpoop

+1

davep

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 08:22:50 pm »
After 5 years full time I run at 60% repeat - recommendations no bullpoop  :)

Today 5 jobs - 3 repeat 1 rec 1 magazine ad
Tmrw 4 jobs - 3 repeat 1 rec

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »
do not be a cold person, talk to them, take your time, not only good job to make them remember about you, nice people for nice customers  ;)

Many people will call even cleaner who did not a best job, they will call as they liked you. Everyone customer is different / we just need to feel them.
Some might be 20 and more years in business and be not a nice person to talk with, customer will not call you again.

Guys, too much stress on you, stop thinking only about your hour rate, how much I am going to make this week and more... and be still hurry

Everyone here has a different point of view. But best is to say "bullpoop"  ;D

david@zap-clean

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 09:19:30 am »
I agree Radek  :)
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

neil 47

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 11:39:05 am »
Rad
The only cc that get repeats after a year are ones that cause rapid resoiling by cleaning them wrong .

David

I agree you can get repeats but sometimes they are just a pain I like to go do a job get paid move on

IICRC

david@zap-clean

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 11:53:51 am »
(light hearted reply):

Neil, you wind-up merchant  ;)... Resoiling after 1 year cannot be blamed on a poor clean.
Anyway, your website says you still have availability before Xmas, so you must be doing it wrong.
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

neil 47

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 02:12:41 pm »
David I always have availability , theres lots of cc to pass work onto
IICRC