This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TheWindowManChris

Window Cleaner licence
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:52:37 pm »
So was washing some window today and got Council Van pull up and ask for my Window Cleaner licence and so I showed it and they seem happy however they were explaining there traders not got a Window Cleaner licence.   

How many of you have a Window Cleaning Licence?  Plus How many did not know they needed one?   As in my area its around £130 a licence and you need one for every single council zone.

Mitchellmoxo

Re: Window Cleaner licence
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »
So was washing some window today and got Council Van pull up and ask for my Window Cleaner licence and so I showed it and they seem happy however they were explaining there traders not got a Window Cleaner licence.   

How many of you have a Window Cleaning Licence?  Plus How many did not know they needed one?   As in my area its around £130 a licence and you need one for every single council zone.

Are you in scotland? Just googled it but never heard of one where i live south east

Pete Thompson

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »
you only need one in scotland

thank god that's something we have got right here in england.  Every now and then an idiot pops up on these forums and says we need licensing in england.  We don't.  It has not stopped rogue traders in scotland, and is just a tax on legitimate businesses.

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:45:20 pm »
you only need one in scotland

thank god that's something we have got right here in england.  Every now and then an idiot pops up on these forums and says we need licensing in england.  We don't.  It has not stopped rogue traders in scotland, and is just a tax on legitimate businesses.

Its a HUGE stupid law in Scotland.   Personally they is no point however I do get on the 'Safe Trader' sticker on van which must admit people do say 'Oh that good your on the safe trader' which is worthless.  It is just a total pointless thing and basically just a way to keep council with money.  I get asked to Show Copy my ID & I must give copy of my Public Liability Number.

Suppose least we don't have your silly Sunday Trading Hours.

dave f

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:18 pm »
imo they should do it down here it may stamp out the doleys and summer brigade .

George P

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:34:09 pm »
imo they should do it down here it may stamp out the doleys and summer brigade .

wont make a differance, same as it hasnt in scotland

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 06:38:35 pm »

wont make a differance, same as it hasnt in scotland

As councils don't fine people but just give them a slap of wrist.    I know a few Doley & Summer people who just stop and start again later.    I have a guy in area who doing it without a licence and reason being is due to my family memeber asked 'You got your Window Cleaner Licence' and he said 'I don't need one'  and I just tell my customers about them and be warry and council & trading standards know about them.

keyser soze

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »
i think england will adopt it eventually . just another gravy train in rip off britain ..

home6442

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 07:41:30 pm »
How can it be legal too single out one type of work.
Do you need a licence to cut lawns wash drives the list goes on.
I would take this up with your M.E.P. there has to be something wrong here.
What does this licence pay for ?
Maybe the councils don't fine anybody because they cant.

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 07:54:21 pm »
How can it be legal too single out one type of work.
Do you need a licence to cut lawns wash drives the list goes on.
I would take this up with your M.E.P. there has to be something wrong here.
What does this licence pay for ?
Maybe the councils don't fine anybody because they cant.

They say it is due to Window Cleaners could steal from properties and etc.
The fee you pay is for the Adminstration and which is NON REFUNDABLE
If I could be bothered taking it up with my MEP I would and it under same list such as getting tabbco licence and late licence, booze licence, taxi licencen and etc.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:44 pm »
My licence has paid for itself many times over, I use it as a selling point, telling potential customers that myself and my employees are licensed, meaning we have been vetted by the police, this gives the customer real piece of mind. The biggest problem tho is that despite the revenue the council receive from the licences, there are no stop checks done.

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:44 pm »
My licence has paid for itself many times over, I use it as a selling point, telling potential customers that myself and my employees are licensed, meaning we have been vetted by the police, this gives the customer real piece of mind. The biggest problem tho is that despite the revenue the council receive from the licences, there are no stop checks done.

Well North Lanarkshire are doing stop checks!  It part of a bigger rogue trader operation.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 11:50:43 pm »

Well North Lanarkshire are doing stop checks!  It part of a bigger rogue trader operation.
I have had one stop check in 9 years, that was from a community policeman who just happened to be passing by.

zeusjazmin

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
here in south west scotland you need a licence in 2 out of the 3 ayrshire areas,council and police are checking every window cleaner they see,i have been checked 3 times in the last month,personally i think its just a money grabbing idea from the council.

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »
here in south west scotland you need a licence in 2 out of the 3 ayrshire areas,council and police are checking every window cleaner they see,i have been checked 3 times in the last month,personally i think its just a money grabbing idea from the council.

I think the police & TS are cracking down on it.   However I think it a daft rule as I have guys with 6 licences as we work across 3 council area's   which I need to look at when getting staff as every member staff needs them however I know a Multi National Firm don't have them and council do nothing about them.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:17:59 pm »

I think the police & TS are cracking down on it.   However I think it a daft rule as I have guys with 6 licences as we work across 3 council area's   which I need to look at when getting staff as every member staff needs them however I know a Multi National Firm don't have them and council do nothing about them.

If you have proof of that you should confront the council.  Failure to ensure a 'level playing field' could be evidence of corruption.

Even if it is only a revenue raising exercise, it's nice to see a council actually policing their licence requirement.  At least it will discourage all the dole cheats and beer money brigade in your area.  My objection to licencing is that I don't believe it would be properly policed and so the only effect (apart from filling council coffers) would be to penalise the law-abiding and favour the cheats.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 08:47:28 pm »

It could be worth checking out whether the nationals need a license to work on commercial property, licenses may only be required for domestic work? ?

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:09:56 pm »

It could be worth checking out whether the nationals need a license to work on commercial property, licenses may only be required for domestic work? ?

Very good point however I know I asked this before and was told 'We get back to you'  and nobody ever gets back to you.

trippyboy

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 09:30:58 pm »
I just don't know how you Scottish lads manage to earn a living.?
I go up there regulary and it rains cats and dogs most of the time.
If its not raining then its heavy snow,if its not snow its minus 10.
When I ask the local windys up there the prices they charge it resembles prices I charged in the eighties.
Let me know your secret lads

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 12:51:44 am »
I just don't know how you Scottish lads manage to earn a living.?
I go up there regulary and it rains cats and dogs most of the time.
If its not raining then its heavy snow,if its not snow its minus 10.
When I ask the local windys up there the prices they charge it resembles prices I charged in the eighties.
Let me know your secret lads

We are thick skin lads! We go out cleaning in vest all year around!
-10 oft that nothing!
We charge prices which are reasonable! None of this £40 a house business! We do it for £7 a house!   

In all honestly we are more than window cleaners,  I clean UPVC, Weeds, Patio and host of stuff inside.   Plus a lot homes in Scotland want there windows cleaned.