This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David stewart

Re: Some people just don't understand
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 09:20:49 am »
The technique I use on a first clean is to give the frames all a good run round with the brush (on a section of the house, say do the whole front) and then by the time I'm back at the first window the vents should have stopped dripping. pay good attention to dividers as dirt will collect on the top side of them. then move onto the glass giving each pane a really good scrub making sure to get along the tops of the frames where they meet the glass, go right round the section of the house and then back again to the first window and do the normal for my maintenance cleans which is two agitations and a good rinse. Then move onto the next section of the house and do the same.
It's worth putting in the extra effort to keep the customer happy and ultimately keep the business. After a first clean I do explain about the build up of years of dirt/detergent which can cause the odd run but tell the customer I've cleaned them 3 times and they should be perfect but if anything they aren't happy with, just text or ring and il happily put it right. Never had a call yet.

landy2

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »
i find on first cleans they are not always 100 %  , you have to understand that you are cleaning a property that you are not going to get anymore money for , i always clean to the same way , on a house that is been booked in for a one of clean then yes i would go over it a couple of times as i have budget for a one of clean

formb

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 08:30:39 am »
If I employed someone to clean my windows I'd want them clean that day. If they came up streaky you'd better come back and clean them straight away or you wouldn't be coming back ever.

If you can't afford to spend enough time on windows to get them clean you need to charge more.

H2GoKent

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 08:31:18 am »
My own wording goes something like, "Sometimes there are imperfections on first cleans due to detergents used on previous cleans and because I take the trouble to scrub the frames.  This can mean that dirt trickles down from the frames.  However, I do go around the windows twice to keep this to a minimum.  Any imperfections that may be left after the first clean will be resolved on the second."

This gives them the message that any issues are being caused by you being thorough (true).  That it only happens sometimes (true).  That if there are any issues, the second clean will sort them out fully (usually true with possible, occasional exceptions).
Just be up front about it.
+1 used wording like that for 10 years only ever had one or two cancel.
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

formb

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 08:37:47 am »
If a window needs to be re-cleaned 10 times you should do it. And with a smile on your face. They are paying you to clean their windows FFS. No wonder women on mumsnet think they are being ripped off.

I find the opposite to be more of a problem. Once you have got it right first time you will never get streaks. Sometimes they don't tell you it has come up streaky so you just give it a once over next time, meaning it will streak again. I'd much rather know I'd left a crap job so I could get it right on day 1

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 08:42:36 am »
If a window needs to be re-cleaned 10 times you should do it. They are paying you to clean their windows FFS. No wonder women on mumsnet think they are being ripped off.

That's all very well but are they prepared to pay a lot extra for the first clean?  A big extra charge would be the way because I would want to guard against taking 2-3 times longer when someone cancels because they only wanted a one off anyway.

formb

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46:28 am »
Cancellations, messers, 1offs they are all part of the game. You need an overall pricing structure that covers you, or just clean them properly in the first place.

Archer

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:01 am »
There have been many occasions that I have cleaned buildings at a loss, taking longer on the initial clean to get them bang on, which in turn makes it easier for future cleans and also enables me to show just how good of a job I do.

Obviously this only applies to regular work which has been arranged before the initial clean is carried out.

So the windows get cleaned as many times as it takes, we have just done this on a building last week.

dave0123

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »
I agree with ARCHER, sometimes a first clean just doesn't make you any money!! but it does pay off! next time around and its always nice to know the customers are really pleased with the results.

I was always taught to do a good job at window cleaning no matter how long it takes even if you don't make any money from it.. its called reputation!
Dave.

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 02:44:23 pm »
Here go mate look and learn try look at all this guys youtube listing. You need to u
understand W F P.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uuPft4tjLk

Sean Kelly

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 03:39:49 pm »
Thanks for all your help

Elfyn

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 03:49:31 pm »
Does anyone give real mingers a good dry brushing with cobweb brush first, before washing?
I do a lot of near one off cleans on commercial properties and I find this method gets rid of the loose muck and cobwebs.

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 06:24:03 pm »
Good , Top  tip Elfin

8weekly

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »