This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

HampshireWindowCleaning

SLX30 question
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:23:04 pm »
What is the weight like on the SLX30, does anyone know if it's light enough to use as an every day pole?
I currently have fibre glass 20ft and 30ft poles, and was thinking of getting a SLX22 as my everyday pole and using the fibreglass 30 footer for the odd 2nd storey or velux window.
But if the SLX30 is quite light I may go for that to replace both poles.

dazmond

Re: SLX30 question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:40:36 pm »
ive used a slx 25 all day no problem.ive also used a 22 slx which IMO is better for smaller domestics due to the shorter collapsed length.as for the 30 slx i think a lot of guys use it as a 25 and just add the extra section when needed.

i now only use an extreme 25 for lots of work.an extreme 47 for higher work and the slx 22 as a spare pole.
price higher/work harder!

steven ainger

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »
ive got a slx30 & i wouldnt use it as an everyday pole.
you would be forever tripping over the pole hose and imo its too heavy for everyday use.

home6442

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:48:57 pm »
I use a CLX18 for my every day pole and a SLX25 for everything else.
All the weights and lengths are on Gardiners website.
Up until a few months back I was the same as yourself using a 17 and 27 foot fibreglass. Never again.
If I need to I can add an extra section to the SLX.
Get the SLX22 and add extra sections if needed but get rid of the 30 foot fibreglass asap as it will
damage your joints.

andyM

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:32 pm »
ive got a slx30 & i wouldnt use it as an everyday pole.
you would be forever tripping over the pole hose and imo its too heavy for everyday use.

Good point, long hose is a nightmare!  ;D
I use a 25ft slx and have 2 extension sections to take it to 35ft.
But the 25ft is ok for 99.9% of the time.
If I need to add the extra sections I also use a pushfit (8mm) connector to add 10 ft or so of extra pole hose.
One of the Plebs

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with a 22 then and get some extensions for when I need to go higher.
You're right John, need to get rid of the fibre glass 30 footer, bloody great lump. Luckily I don't use it much though.

CF Facilities

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »
When I first went WFP I needed a three storey pole for a few jobs. My supplier reckoned fibre glass would be  OK. He was wrong!!! In any wind I struggled to hold it on the glass...
It eventually snapped on the end and I was so pleased because I could then buy a gardiner SLX25 which is great everyday pole in my opinion. 

Bay View WCS

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »
When I first went WFP I needed a three storey pole for a few jobs. My supplier reckoned fibre glass would be  OK. He was wrong!!! In any wind I struggled to hold it on the glass...
It eventually snapped on the end and I was so pleased because I could then buy a gardiner SLX25 which is great everyday pole in my opinion. 

When I started I needed a 30+ footer for some 3 storey work and there was an offer on at Brodex for their 36 feet jobby for £116 delivered so I snapped their hand off and put me order in - arrived 3 days later.  I used it the first time and seriously thought sum fooker had sold me a lemon and filled it with lead shot to take the proverbial.  As soon as was humanly possible I got the cash together to buy the CLX 27 and my shoulders, arms, neck and back breathed a sigh of relief in unison.

Funny thing was I got a call from Brodex a few months ago asking how I was getting on with me 36 footer - he seemed mildly peed off when I explained that it was that bad I would never be using it again.  He also never saw the funny side when I said that I might weigh it in at the scrappers for the ally as that would probably fetch more than if I put it on Ebay!!

Tom

robbo333

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:18:42 pm »
I use the SLX 22 all day long, absolutely love it. Also have an SLX 35 which comes out once in a blue moon. Probably strip it down to make another 22!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

SPE

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:52:55 pm »
But if the SLX30 is quite light I may go for that to replace both poles.
personally, I would do that, if you are used to the weight of fiberglass poles it will feel lighter and more rigid anyhow.
I'm sure plenty would not recommend it but I only carry one pole, a 40 ft supermax because that covers all my work. Years ago I had a 39ft universal fiberglass, then a 40ft extel hybrid, so to me the s max seems light enough to use all day.
Simon

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:03 am »
seriously simon do you use a 40 ft supermax all day/every day?its far too heavy to use all day every day on all windows.your making your work harder than it needs to be.

3 poles is all your need.25 extreme and 47 extreme and a slx 22 as an emergency back up pole. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

SPE

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 01:55:04 pm »
Yes I do daz, all day long

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 07:06:22 pm »
What about if I buy a slx30, is it possible to remove a section or 2 for everyday use and just add the sections back on as I need them?
I guess i'd just need to order extra end caps to protect the sections that would become the handle section of the pole.
Anyone else do this?

SPE

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 07:30:57 pm »
What about if I buy a slx30, is it possible to remove a section or 2 for everyday use and just add the sections back on as I need them?
I guess i'd just need to order extra end caps to protect the sections that would become the handle section of the pole.
Anyone else do this?
yes you can, although worth remembering that the base section of the pole (if you have removed sections) will not be insulated.
Simon

Stephen.C

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 07:35:03 pm »
Wayne I have a slx 35ft use it all day every day had it nearly two years no problem.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:37 pm »
Wayne I have a slx 35ft use it all day every day had it nearly two years no problem.

Do you bother removing any sections Steve or is it light enough to use as it is?

Stephen.C

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 07:50:32 pm »
Mate its light as feather, absolutely not.
Next time you see me come over and have a look.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

robbo333

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »
I had a clamp go on my SLX22 so I used my SLX35 for the rest of the day. It was noticeably heavier and slightly more awkward due to it's extra length. It's not impossible to use but why use a heavier pole when you don't need to. Also I don't like the SLX35 at height when it's at an angle. If money were no object I would go with Daz and use an extreme 22 and 47. The correct tool for the job and the best you can buy.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

SPE

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 08:00:01 pm »
If money were no object I would go with Daz and use an extreme 22 and 47. The correct tool for the job and the best you can buy.
I agree, but money is an object to most of us, just for fun I added up the current price of Daz's poles with hose and hose tails = £1,836.45 !  :D but if your lucky you do get a free baseball cap with that  ;D

PoleKing

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 08:09:23 pm »
If money were no object I would go with Daz and use an extreme 22 and 47. The correct tool for the job and the best you can buy.
I agree, but money is an object to most of us, just for fun I added up the current price of Daz's poles with hose and hose tails = £1,836.45 !  :D but if your lucky you do get a free baseball cap with that  ;D

If you can afford a girlfriend and a 'sports car' that's a drop in the ocean. ;D love you Daz
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.