This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Matt Gibson

1/4" pressure hose
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:12:18 am »
Would using 1/4" high pressure hose cause me to lose some of my flow rate?

BDCS

Re: 1/4" pressure hose
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »
Not that you'll notice unless you use miles of it

Matt Gibson

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 04:44:19 pm »
Thanks mate. I just bought 60m of new hose. 1/4''.. was using the machine today and it just felt like it was lacking in power compared to the old hose.

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 05:59:40 pm »
Plumb a tee in before the gun and fit a pressure gauge, then you be able to see the pressure drop. I used to regularly use 50m of 1/4" before Wallice

Matt Gibson

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 06:01:10 pm »
The pressure at the gauge hasnt changed it just feels less powerfull. like its not flowing at much.  if that makes sense.

Kenny83

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 06:01:54 pm »
Would it not create back pressure and strain on the pump as the bores small? that's what the engineer told me a while back
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Matt Gibson

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 06:41:15 pm »
Nothing seems to have changed, apart from it doesnt feel as forcefull. The gauge is still reading 200 bar, no noises from the pump or engine. nothing is struggling. I was thinking its because its so light,(the hose) sounds funny, but you cant even feel your pulling it around, might just be because it feels different in my hands when im using it..

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:09:01 pm »
The pressure guage you are looking at is at the pump end of the hose - I was suggesting you fit a guage at the gun end of the hose which would show the real pressure at the gun.

jaespray

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »
i allways use 25mtr of1/4" hose as a final hose off of a 1/2"lead hose    so light and easy to use   and no loss of pressure
regards john

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:05:25 pm »
What you feel could well be right and the unloader is letting some of the flow bypass ,a check of the bypass hose flow would tell you(i think).

trevor perry

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:35:30 pm »
your pressure may be the same but your flow rate might have lowered a bit so as said above check if your machine is still unloading when gun is in use
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Matt Gibson

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 01:46:21 pm »
Cheers guys,

Ill have a squiz on monday and see whats happening.. Hopefully its all good, as the new hose is a dream to work with..

Matt Gibson

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 10:11:32 am »
Found whats probably the problem. Water feed hose between filter and pump is sucking almost flat. Air getting in somehwere. cleaned filter and ordered some wire reinforced hose to replace the old stuff with and a new unloader just to be safe. my unloader cops a beating.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 12:14:45 pm »
Righto,

Few more tests while enjoying a coffee provided by the customer. if i take the nozzle off and pull the trigger the unloader stops unloading. normal. when i put the nozzle on and pull the trigger the unloader still returns to tank a little bit. the nozzle is the correct size.

new unloader??

Or should i be looking at something else? Inlet filter is clean.

BDCS

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 03:40:30 pm »
What pressure does the guage show - it should show the pressure for that nozzle size at the flow rate given. You may have a few more revs which may cause the unloader to dump some but the most likely cause will be a worn seat or weak spring in the unloader - treat yourself to a new one.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 04:00:40 pm »
The gauge shows 200 bar...the nozzle size is correct for my pump, and the pressure is reading right for the nozzle/pump. Like i aid before, just felt like the flow was down, now i know the unloader is returning to the tank, it makes sense why.

Ive got one on order but exchange are out of stock..

Just a weird one, I didnt automatically think of the unloader, because it feels like the wrong nozzle is in it.. im losing flow as if a nozzle too big was in, but the unloader is dumping like a nozzle too small is in..

New unloader it is..  ;D

Kenny83

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:47 pm »
if it's still unloading when you get a new one then it could be your revs as carl says, or could be back pressure?
Pressure Washing -

wpclean

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »
if it's still unloading when you get a new one then it could be your revs as carl says, or could be back pressure?
Kenny where do you get this knowledge about pressure washing, seen loads of your posts with really good detailed info ?

Matt Gibson

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »

Cheers mate,

Dont think it will be the revs, as this is on the van mount, lombardini. Fixed revs.. no adjustment (well, there is the rev screw but its all fixed and bolted in place)

I was getting the feeling of lack of flow with the old 3/8 hose, but i think its more noticable with the lighter hose, so hopefully just an unloader and not back pressure, cause the new 1/4 cost me £200  >:(

Kenny83

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 08:59:32 pm »
Kenny where do you get this knowledge about pressure washing, seen loads of your posts with really good detailed info ?

I just picked it up mate, they really interest me, I see pressure washing as a hobby as much it is a job to be honest ( call me sad lol ) I really enjoy pressure washing but enjoy even more fixing a broken washer and from this I have just picked it up, I have listened to everything I have been told by engineers over the years and it has sank in, also along the way I have learned quite alot my self by just fixing them. I'm not the cleverest of blokes and pressure washers aren't the most complicated machines. I'm not pressure washer engineer but there's nothing I won't have a go at (unless it means stripping an engine, I hate it when I spill oil everywhere). I have also bought and sold lot's of machines that I have needed to repair in one way or another which has helped me learn about them.
 ;D
Pressure Washing -