Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Robert_O

How to clean Sisal according to manufacturer
« on: February 09, 2004, 08:25:12 pm »
Taken from a Sisal website.

Cleaning:

If possible, rotate your rug every six months, to change the traffic pattern on the surface of rug.

Should your floor coverings require a total cleaning, it is important to insure that a cleaning, hot water extraction or wet shampooing should NOT be used. These methods can cause shrinkage and staining of natural fibers. For an overall cleaning it is best to consult a professional who has experience with Natural Fiber Floorcovering.

Professional dry extraction methods of cleaning are recommended.
With proper maintenance and care your Natural Floor Coverings will remain beautiful and functional for years. However, natural fibers may not be the best choice for every condition. Also, the responsibility for cleaning and maintaining lies with those who perform the task. These cleaning and maintenance guidelines provide a practical guideline to keeping the floor covering looking its best. No warranty is expressed or implied.

Regards

Robert Olifent

Les

Re: How to clean Sisal according to manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 08:34:02 pm »
Anyone ever cleaned Sisal ?
I've steered clear of it as the one's I've been asked to do have looked completely worn out or filthy, ( or Both) :D
Les

stevegunn

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 08:39:37 pm »
Yes i've cleaned it using Host but the results are not fantastic not sure what it would come up like using Solution.

Les

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:57:36 pm »
Hi Steve,
I thought about using Huh Hum...Solution  ::) (OR other Microsplitting products) :o
You have to be careful what you say  :P ;D
But unless someone can convince me otherwise I think I'll carry on givin it a miss.
Les ;)

stevegunn

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 09:03:23 pm »
Les I would really give it a try contact Nick at Solution he will send you a trial pack and give it ago you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Les

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 09:21:54 pm »
Hi Steve,
I have :o
He did :D
I am ;)
Say no more 8)
Les

Petersullivan

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 04:50:43 pm »
Hi you guys new to the forum, Sisal can be tricky have used host in the past, the method is as follows . give the area plenty of dry vaccuming, this is the key to cleaning natural fibres. then ive applied a misting of one step at normal dillution rates on the pakage. use the host macine to brush in then apply the host this must not be to wet as it can strip the dye from the mating and leave a bleach mark. when you have brushed in the host ,extract and if very dirty repeat the procsess, good luck. :D
P.Sullivan

Ivar_Haglund

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 07:38:45 pm »
Run away

Sissel is a problem child

nothing you do will clean it to the satisfaction of the customer.

of course the sales man who sold it to them said just dry clean it.

IVAR ;D

Dave Parry

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 11:16:14 pm »
Had a staircase and small landing to clean, tried to dissuade client but she insisted I try. Quoted £ 90 which she accepted. Informed her results would not be great, still insisted I do it. So dry cleaned with ninja set up for solvent clean. then cleaned any stubborn spots with cloth wet with hwe solution but VERY sparingly. Result not great, but got to clean sofa, large footstool and car seats as an extra. So she wasnt too dissapointed. Always given it a miss since then.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Lee

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 12:15:22 am »
Guys I have cleaned this, totally at the customers request, with hwe, massive disaster, It shrunk by about 8 inches all around..... My advice is leave it.... walk away with your reputation intact. Even though I advised strongly against it my client insisted I try, as all other methods had failed. Even 3 years later i still get people asking me "did you really shink Mrs ........ flooring"

Jim_Lynch

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 10:10:56 am »
I bonnet cleaned one many years ago when I was young ( ::)) and innocent.
It came up OK, but it certainly chewed up those bonnets  :'(

I'd walk today.

Jim
Jim Lynch
ChemDry Supreme
Brisbane,Queensland
AUSTRALIA

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 10:21:21 pm »
Sisal and  other naturals.Crucial trading and most of the other reputable manufacturers,now recomend fitting  using the double stick system with carpet gripper around the perimater,this should make the product more stable.But as sisal absorbs  water and then  tends to shrink be carefull ,all the carpet cleaners i know avoid  Sisal Choir Sea Grass Ect   Host Dry System is safe but not allways  great results.
Crucial Trading advise in Product Information Manual They can supply a cleaning kit that comes with cleaning solutions,applicators and full instructions.
Hope this helps a little I am not a carpet cleaner . but  arbitrator and  law societyexpert witness on flooring complaints.I also power stretch a lot of shrunken carpets   Chris glanville

Derek

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 11:13:05 pm »
Hi

Thanks for that....

the NCCA contacted Crucial Trading to see if they would do a presentation at their Conference the other year... the NCCA was referred by Crucial Trading to Von Schrader and their low moisture system.

Cheers
Derek

Michel Roberts

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 02:15:10 am »
Chris, I am a bit confused. You say crucial trading now recommends using gripper when double sticking which implys that they did'nt before.  I went and fished out my old installation instructions from crucial trading which I know are quite old to see what it said. They are still in the A4 envelope they arrived in and the postmark is 20/10/99. In these instructions  both the photos and the text make it clear that gripper is to be used when double sticking. Interestingly they quite clearly state that blind/blank gripper is to be used. Maybe this is what has changed. As we're on a carpet cleaner's board and not a carpet fitter's I should explain that blind gripper is smoothedge with no angled pins and is used to provide a neat edge finish but not actualy hold carpet under tension from stretching as it is usally used with with twin stick meathods.
By the way Chris do you know of any boards such as this for fitters. If you do I would be very gratefull for the web address.

Cheers Michel

Derek

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 10:05:51 am »
Hi Michel

Try the 'Friendly Fitters Club' site

I haven't been there for a while but I think it is what you are looking for

Cheers
Derek

brucie

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 10:10:29 am »
I was told by a fitter, that he has to fit natural fibre carpets slightly over size.Not sure how you would do that,but the reason for this he told me,is to allow for natural shrinkage due to moisture in the atmosphere.

Michel Roberts

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 11:26:05 am »
Hello Derek,

Thank you for trying to help. The message board you refer to was the best for U.K carpet fitters. Sorry to say it has been closed for some months now as it's parent co gripperods was tacken over. The other U.K board for fitters has been bombed by Russian sex spam and is now u.s(no Good)  There are several good USA sites but I was just trawling for more. You can never have to much info.

Brucie re the carpet fitter you meantioned, leaving it oversize/full  please bear in mind that many fitters do not allways know the correct meathod for installing this stuff. As I am sure Chris Granville who posted above would testify. I bet he's got some stories to tell. As he is an expert legal wittness I am glad to say I have never met him and hope not to in the future!(No offence Chris)

If the material is glued to the underlay it's hard to see how any fullness will sort itself out. It sounds Like he's stretch fitting it.

Robert_O

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 09:16:00 pm »
I think that by prespraying with water uniformly prior to installation would guard against many problems with carpets that are susceptable to shrinkage.

This could include all bast fibres, and Belgium Wiltons.

Just a day dream I am having, It is ok as I am waking up now. ;D ;)

Robert

Derek

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 10:49:05 pm »
Robert

It may be a dream to you sunshine but if my memory serves me right ..

back in 'young' John Bolton's youth the way of fitting Tintawn (Irish Sisal capets) was to loose lay and water liberally using a watering can..

Am I right young John? ;)

Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 10:55:48 pm »
Derek

Gas lamp days no electric sprayer, what type of rose if any, did you and john use?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 01:34:17 am »
Derek,

Your grey matter deceives you not  ;)

A quick sprinke with a fine rose on the can, and come back in a day or so to fit.

I knew one fitter who swore by putting vinegar in the in the watering can, though I am not entirely sure that he knew why. ;D

John.

Derek

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 09:46:26 am »
Len

Just an ordinary garden watering can...the height of sophistication ;)

Derek