This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Roland S

facemask suitable for hypo - what grade do i need?
« on: April 19, 2013, 09:04:25 pm »
hi

i bought a face mask http://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-maintenance-free-respirator/13038 for when i'm using hypo, and it seems to do its job but at £22 for a disposable one it's quite expensive (although i don't know how long they last for) but i'm a bit confused about what grade of face mask i need for sodium hypochlorite p1, p2, p3 etc i'm guessing its vapours i need to protect against?

i'm looking for a cheap reusable one that i can buy filters for when it runs out. what does everyone else use?

Blast Away

Re: facemask suitable for hypo - what grade do i need?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:13:28 pm »
Using amine oxide surfactant keeps the vapours to a minimum in my opinion. Either that or I just can't smell it anymore.

;D

Roland S

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »
Lol probably I still get bad fumes and banging headaches so want to find something that's cheap and effective.

Kenny83

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:38:37 pm »
Using amine oxide surfactant keeps the vapours to a minimum in my opinion. Either that or I just can't smell it anymore.

;D
your immune Lee, I'm suprised you don't look like Micheal Jackon (when he was at his whitest), although it would be your kid who deals with that side of things, you mainly just make videos and answer the phone don't you?  ;D
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:15 pm »
I use a 3m 4251 which is an A1P2. The A is the gases and vapours and P is the particulates with the higher numbers being the better protection. I use these masks for pest control as well as cleaning and pay about £13. These masks whilst being disposable last for 28 days - which means 28 days wear if they are kept in the sealed bag. You are not legally responsible for keeping records for disposable masks where you are for the masks that you can renew the filters.

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Half-Masks-and-Full-Masks/3M-Vapour-and-Particulate-Respirator-%284251%29.htm

Rob_Mac

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »
I would say don't scrimp on this one.

I dealt with a lime spillage at a Tarmac quarry, about ten years ago. I wore a cheap respirator.

Lime when it becomes wet becomes acid. We dry cleaned it and I breathed it in, it became wet mixed with saliva.

I have a 25% loss of lung capacity - linked to this.

Rob ;D

Matt Gibson

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 08:25:19 pm »
I use one of these for when im cleaning pigeon crap. Wide range of different filters available.

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1F0100

Roland S

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 11:01:40 am »
I use a 3m 4251 which is an A1P2. The A is the gases and vapours and P is the particulates with the higher numbers being the better protection. I use these masks for pest control as well as cleaning and pay about £13. These masks whilst being disposable last for 28 days - which means 28 days wear if they are kept in the sealed bag. You are not legally responsible for keeping records for disposable masks where you are for the masks that you can renew the filters.

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Half-Masks-and-Full-Masks/3M-Vapour-and-Particulate-Respirator-%284251%29.htm

yes i think that's the one i bought from screwfix, your supplier is quite a bit cheaper though so i'll have to source some from there. i didn't know they had to be kept in a sealed bag either so thanks for the tip.

Roland S

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
I would say don't scrimp on this one.

I dealt with a lime spillage at a Tarmac quarry, about ten years ago. I wore a cheap respirator.

Lime when it becomes wet becomes acid. We dry cleaned it and I breathed it in, it became wet mixed with saliva.

I have a 25% loss of lung capacity - linked to this.

Rob ;D

no well if they last 28 days and i get 14 jobs out of it, its only just over a quid a job so money well spent i reckon rather than going home feeling sick and with a headache and any other potential longer term damage i moght be doing