Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Phil @ Extreme Clean

WHY ???????
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:09:22 pm »
Why Won't the phone ring ??? I post cards, I have a website and I spend any spare money advertising but phone just won't ring. I have Dry Fusion and Water Extraction and always do a good job. My Prices are more than fair £35 a single room and £25 any other on day and that is using my DF to agitate then Water extract and dry bonnet with heat after, What more can I do? This is my 3rd year on my own and iv'e struggled all the way but this year is worse than the last 2 up to now I'm seriously thinking of call it a day and just having a little machine and doing friends and family for extra money as and when needed. I think my part of country there are too many CC'S and not enough customers and as for canvassing i'm just not good at it I don't mind doing the graft I enjoy it and always have a chat with custys but hate putting on people I am fine if they contact me Maybe this is my shortfall i'm gonna see what happens when my run of advertising finishes in may and call it a day if not working.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Jamie Pearson

Re: WHY ???????
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 01:18:08 pm »
Have you been to see any of the clients you emailed/wrote to.
I seem to remember you sending out stuff to letting agents or hotels.
Sorry cant remember which.
Maybe a visit in person to the same list will yield some results.
The methods you use arent as important to your clients as they are to you.
So far you will just be a name, email, webpage, logo to the above list.
If you get the chance to meet in person with them you will be much more.

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:19:53 pm »
Had a couple jobs from 1 letting agent but nothing else like I say i'm no good at cold calling I had someone calling hotels all round blackpool and all they saty is they keep it in house.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »
Cold calling sucks that's for sure.
I used to hate it.
Doesn't bother me so much now. I will go back into places several times in a year. I always take a note of why they rejected me the previous time but try and strike up some rapport with the receptionist or whoever greets me. In fact I almost verge on stalking as I make notes of their name, hair style/colour, colour glasses (if they wear them) etc so when I am in next time can comment if they have made a change. Trust me it works sometimes.
Not everyone has the authority to buy or a need when you go in its not a personal thing when they refuse to see/listen to you but many view it that way.
Persistence is the key. Then the day when they require your service as they now have a need or have been let down you are the guy they come to.
Did you email any of those letting agents again from your previous list? Did you send them a follow up mail by post, a phone call to see if they had either or as I suggested call in and say "Hi I dropped you guys an email before, dont know if it got through as I hadn't had a response so thought I would pop in, say hello, maybe I can leave you a card/flyer/letter in case you need my service in the future?

Dave_Lee

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:43:42 pm »
You have to send out occasional newsletters or just cards to past customers. If your customers are getting more attention from your competitors, they may become their customers.
I know a CC who uses a  Truck Mount in the Blaclpool area, is very high priced and very busy!?
However a lot of CCs including myself with over 33 years in this business, have been on the quiet side this year, but fingers crossed it seems to be slowly picking up.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »
I have just been on your website and I have to say I would not book you after reading it.

You keep telling me to use 'someone else' then expect me to provide you with tea if you are prepared to honour us with your presence.

Its not user friendly and I am afraid any potential shopper will just move on.

Take it down and start again would be my first bit of advice.

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 04:00:02 pm »
I would say you are too cheap, your attracting the lower end of the market and unfortunately with the recession that end of the market isnt spending at the moment.

I did a job last week for a posh old lady and she was a bit put out that i only charged her 250+ vat for a lounge 2 single beds and 2 chairs, I was done in 2 half hours, she gave me 2 tips, a tenner and put my prices up !!

You have to be smart, tidy equipment and a clean vehicle, and come over very professional.

Try targeting posh areas at higher prices, there are plenty snobs out there

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:45 pm »
What have you done in the last 2 weeks to create business? Be specific ( and don't lie  ;) )

I  Think people who don't have any work if they are honest don't do enough foot on the ground marketing,

they write blogs,  put adverts in papers, update their Facebook page, write postcards (but not too many...... "Have you seen the cost of stamps") , they lay in bed until 7am as they have no job booked in to get up for.

If you are slow it's because your  Bum  spends too much time on your settee :)

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:28:30 pm »
I might as well wade in-  Please don't think I am being nasty.

Your web site is too 'busy'. It has far too much on the first page.
You need to be able to read the first page of each section in 10 seconds, otherwise people will not be bothered. Further pages can have more detail.

Get someone who can spell and punctuate to proof read your site- there are commas and full stops missing, apostrophes where should not be and capital letters missing.

Different pages must follow a theme- some of them are so different in appearance they look as if they are from another site.

Don't be disheartened- there are customers out there who will pay good prices. You just have to have the confidence and a bit of cheek to ask for the right money.
I have always had this problem. When I started £25 for a 3 pce was good money!
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Neil Jones

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 04:49:50 pm »
What have you done in the last 2 weeks to create business? Be specific ( and don't lie  ;) )

I  Think people who don't have any work if they are honest don't do enough foot on the ground marketing,

they write blogs,  put adverts in papers, update their Facebook page, write postcards (but not too many...... "Have you seen the cost of stamps") , they lay in bed until 7am as they have no job booked in to get up for.

They lay in bed until 7am  ??? ???

What time do you get up Mike?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 05:04:55 pm »
I'm guessing 6 am like me early bird catches the worm.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 05:08:58 pm »
Try having thin curtains and dogs with weak bladders, I'm sat in Costa coffee every morning at 6.30am

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »

everything you said lol I even put offer on Facebook £20 instead of £35 this week only and guess what not 1 ask also Andrew you may get them prices were you are but you won't here I think my prices are fair for my area and I think the job I do for that price is good.

Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Robin Ray

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:48 pm »
I know yo don't like the idea of cold calling but have you tried it?
What do you have to loose?
The person on the other side of the door is just the same as you or I. There is no special formula for generating business from my experience its all about confidence in fact most things are 60% confidence 40% skill.

Try this on some domestic properties

"Knock"

"Hello my name is Phil i am a the local carpet and upholstery cleaner and am just calling to offer a free no obligation quote if you would be interested?"

At this point you can get two answers Yes or No

If they say yes go ahead and quote leaving them with a quotation form and some cards. If they book you great, if they don't they now have your number and if you have been polite you have their trust!

If they say No take the opportunity to say

"Thats ok can i just leave you with some information in case you need my services in the future"

They have your number and you now have their trust they may call in the future.

The most important thing is to gain trust it means more than any thing. And remember what do you have to loose they are just people the same as you or me.

Rob

terrymaloy

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 05:54:02 pm »
Mike, the 22 hours marketing on your feet...I take it thats leaflet dropping ?
Extreme Clean...dont get too disheartened. This time last year mid April 2012 I had my busiest week ever (just short of £1000)...roll onto 2013, I've had 3 jobs this week barely scraping £200.
A combination of crap weather and people generally being skint doesnt help...sometimes you've gotta ride the storm  :-\

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 06:08:35 pm »
Terry I have deleted my post that you are referring  to but yes you are correct it is putting out leaflets

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 06:12:48 pm »
I might as well wade in-  Please don't think I am being nasty.

Your web site is too 'busy'. It has far too much on the first page.
You need to be able to read the first page of each section in 10 seconds, otherwise people will not be bothered. Further pages can have more detail.

Get someone who can spell and punctuate to proof read your site- there are commas and full stops missing, apostrophes where should not be and capital letters missing.

Different pages must follow a theme- some of them are so different in appearance they look as if they are from another site.

Don't be disheartened- there are customers out there who will pay good prices. You just have to have the confidence and a bit of cheek to ask for the right money.
I have always had this problem. When I started £25 for a 3 pce was good money!

I have made the home page a bit more user friendly and to the point do you think it's better ?
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:37 pm »
Phil

Nearly every carpet cleaner that has gone out of business, has, at one time or another, used the line "you can't get those prices around here".

Colin Bright is based in Blackpool and is one of the highest priced carpet cleaners I know.

Put your prices up, not down - your talking about packing it in anyway, so what have you got to lose ?

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 06:22:02 pm »

everything you said lol I even put offer on Facebook £20 instead of £35 this week only and guess what not 1 ask also Andrew you may get them prices were you are but you won't here I think my prices are fair for my area and I think the job I do for that price is good.

I actually think my prices are low overall, however I can sell when I know the time is appropriate, am sure you have some customers in your area that would pay.

clinton

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 06:24:13 pm »
Phill some good posts above there..

Just think mind that your charging 25 or 35 pound a job so you will have to get about at least 3 jobs a day to make any money..

was even going to say 4 jobs a day at your prices and caint see you getting that many jobs a day.

Good luck anyway..

I have the dry fusion and get at least 50 or 60 pound a room if I use that system.