This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Gerald Ash

Well I`ve started Window Cleaning
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:38:58 pm »
 I started trading monday & yes guys it is harder than I expected. Close to my old trade if I`m honest but I hope the aching will stop by the end of the year. Anyone wishes to check out the article in my local paper the link below should work.
  Thanks to all those who have advised me & to those thought I didn`t exist well you now you know you were wrong.
   I`ve hit on a rather good way of marketing my company which only costs me money when I`ve been paid. By all means feel free to check out my website which is not finished yet but is getting there.
   Did my first commercial today, cleaned two large panes, stood back to check them out & was very pleased with my efforts. Then noticed the really filthy small panes above them. Lesson one learned the hard way.
   If anyone wishes to copy my marketing technique you are more than welcome as more charities that can be helped the better. Make no mistake I`m not just doing it to help charities but to build my business, USP is charities can earn monies so it`s win win. If it doesn`t work quick enough I still have door knocking to fall back on.
    No doubt someone will take the p--- but I don`t care, I`ve gained free publicity from my local paper & believe it or not had a national press agency take a report & do a photo shoot this afternoon.
    Ive not felt this alive for many years.
 This time next year I could have paid off my overdraft,,,,,,,,a little.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Gerald-Ash-used-weigh-50-stone-started-window/story-18353462-detail/story.html#axzz2Msaw6s89

ben M

Re: Well I`ve started
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »
Well done Gerald,you can be proud of yourself  :)

mark turton

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:53:41 pm »
good for you mate hope all goes well and the publicity exposure not as bad thing either

windiewasher

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »
well done gerald,good luck with your new business everyone here will help with any questions you have during your start up.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Trev Jones

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:00:37 am »
Good on ye fella, but its the longevity that counts and I really hope it works out for you and the charities. Look forward to your updates on your progress.

Gerald Ash

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:03:25 am »
Wow, you made me cry, but it`s just between us Ok.

windiewasher

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:06:38 am »
Thats a great gesture to give a big percentage of your earnings to a worthy cause.
Just make sure you charge enough and don't underprice yourself.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Norbert

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 12:31:18 am »
Hi Gerald, I've just read your post and lookd at your newspaper link. I'm normally on the carpet cleaning pages as that's my area of expertise. However, I have also cleaned windows as part of my work, so know how hard it is. You are a real inspiration to us all. I wish you all the best in your new career and will keep crossing over! to this side to see how your doing. Good luck and all the best for the future Phil Pettican. 

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:54:07 am »
Blimey.

I take my hat off to you and it's great you feel really alive. To me, that's means you're making all the right decisions.

Funny to read about the small panes of glass above the ones you'd just cleaned. Been there and done that as well. Yup, it's a learning curve but a worthwhile one that gives a good feeling.

Good luck mate. That's a fantastic heart warming story to read both here on CIU and in the link you posted.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Banbury Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 02:20:52 am »
Well done fella!! You should be very proud of yourself.
Looking forward to future posts and updates
In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 07:16:14 am »
Well done Gerald - I was convinced you were winding us up too.

Smudgeoff Cleaning Services

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 07:29:01 am »
Very well done mate, excellent achievement....
" To Get It All Off Call Smudgeoff"

Jista

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 07:51:57 am »
Well done Gerald wishing all the best onwards and upwards from here m8.

Gerald Ash

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 08:21:03 am »
Look at the time stamp. Ache but feel good. Going out now to do more commercials but to be honest not sure of how much to charge. Have been straight with the owners who have been understanding.
     Thought about BSing my way through but if a job isn`t perfect then I look a fool. This way they forgive the odd little blemish which I correct.
 Looking forward to a far better future than I`ve forseen for over twenty years. Cheers guys for the words of encouragement.
 Before I forget can someone look at my site & take a look at miss silver shop front. approx twenty foot, no more, frontage. Give me an idea of price to charge. I`m telling anyone the price I`ve been paid, it`s embarrising.

andyM

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:21 am »
Well done for taking the first step.
Now the best advice you can be given is to price your jobs sensibly from the start.
Don't fall into the trap of quoting too cheap to get the job as this is the road to nowhere.
And if you gain a decent customer base you will be a busy fool with little to show for it.
Because you are starting out you will be slower than an experienced window cleaner but you should still charge the same.
Speed will come with experience, but importantly focus on doing a good job and the customer will recommend you to others.
Best of luck.
One of the Plebs

Tom White

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:58 am »
Well done, Gerald; physically it does get easier; promise.  I felt like I'd been giving a kicking after my first day window cleaning; and I was 13 stone and 32 years old.

As you keep losing that weight (well done btw), and your technique improves, and your body adapts to the work; it'll get easier.

I hope you stick around here and keep us updated; it's a great place to ask questions, and they're a friendly lot here.

Regards

Tosh

gavinb

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:05 am »
Fair play to you gerald if only the youth of today could do something like this .

jonboywalton75

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:06:45 am »
Top man.
I like your attitude Gerald.

Neil Gornall

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 10:24:28 am »
First rate achievement Gerald.
Good luck with the the business going up and the weight going down. One will directly effect the other so you cant lose.   :)

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:47 am »
Well done Gerald.