This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

Short fuse?
« on: January 14, 2013, 10:01:27 am »
Just had problem with newish custy (4th clean, £25 job)

Did 3rd clean, custie was on holiday, when she got back sent her a polite text reminding her to pay.

Also add she was cash on the door then wanted my bank details so it was easier for her to transfered so obliged.

Showed up last wednesday and custie appologised for not paying and would pay now online.

See her on computer through the window while i was cleaning.

Got home no payment.

Sent another polite text reminder friday no reply and no payment.

Don't know if I have jumped the gun but today sent text saying "i was dissapointed to see no payment made, and could she please do so and debt would be passes onto recovery agency shortly" and my bank details again.

Got text back saying how dissapointed she was at recieving a text like that from me and i would be paid the end of this week and she no longer wanted my services.

I replied "thank you for your text confirming payment for the end of this week.

Just wondered how long you guys go until you have to send the unfriendly text/letter for payment.

Have i over reacted?
Oh by the way customer is pregnant and giving birth in two weeks.
(that makes me look a right sh!t bag now :-[

Lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

R.C Property

Re: Short fuse?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:32 am »
Bank payments can take upto 5 working days to come through depending on bank.

Depending on customer, if only a few quid then only a week or 2.
If good customers then maybe a month and just add it onto the bill. Then if no payment for the 2 just a polite reminder.

ben M

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:30:13 am »
have i over reacted? i think you have to be honest!
maybe she was waiting some money to come in, no need to say:and debt would be passes onto recovery agency shortly
If you wanted to lose the customer, you couldn't have done better!  ;D
next time,be more patient  ;)

bobplum

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:30:28 am »
i think the problem here is texting,i personally would not like to receive one for window cleaning and you should have given it a few more days at least..just my opinion :D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:00 am »
Just had problem with newish custy (4th clean, £25 job)

Did 3rd clean, custie was on holiday, when she got back sent her a polite text reminding her to pay.

Also add she was cash on the door then wanted my bank details so it was easier for her to transfered so obliged.

Showed up last wednesday and custie appologised for not paying and would pay now online.

See her on computer through the window while i was cleaning.

Got home no payment.

Sent another polite text reminder friday no reply and no payment.

Don't know if I have jumped the gun but today sent text saying "i was dissapointed to see no payment made, and could she please do so and debt would be passes onto recovery agency shortly" and my bank details again.

Got text back saying how dissapointed she was at recieving a text like that from me and i would be paid the end of this week and she no longer wanted my services.

I replied "thank you for your text confirming payment for the end of this week.

Just wondered how long you guys go until you have to send the unfriendly text/letter for payment.

Have i over reacted?
Oh by the way customer is pregnant and giving birth in two weeks.
(that makes me look a right sh!t bag now :-[

Lee

You did exactly the right thing Lee.

Three polite reminders - she lies to you and on the fourth time of reminder you tell her how it is. She would be a problem customer from now on in.

You now need to decide whether to write it off or continue chasing.

If she is having money worries then she has my sympathy but if so she should come clean and not be too proud to admit it. Then you would know what to work with.

The pregnancy probably heightens her emotions but at the end of the day she won't be whinging to the leccy or gas about not paying and being upset by their reminders will she?
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:48:02 am »
The pregnancy probably heightens her emotions but at the end of the day she won't be whinging to the leccy or gas about not paying and being upset by their reminders will she?

No, but those services are essential, window cleaning is not. I would have cancelled the OP too if I received a text like that.

lee_dewing

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:52:53 pm »
Thanks Gold.

If was honest maybe I could have worded text better.

But customer was so appologetic on door step.

When i knocked for key to lock her gate for her as she is pregant I mentioned how i had just text her my bank details again and did she get text; she said i'm busy and haven't looked yet.

Which did get my back up abit tbh.

If she had said i will pay you end of next week then o.k

But to say your gonna pay and then don't isn't on in my book.

All my polite text messages didn't recieve a response but the last one did.

If I don't get payment by the end of the week then I will use thomas higgins letter before payment, don't know wether to put in her husbands name as she'll probably be having a baby.

I know how it feels to be hard up as my mrs was made redundant oct.

Customer lives in 6 bed detached house probably 2 million+ and she is renting it at probably £2000 a month upwards.
Just got back from holiday abroad, merc jeep etc.

C o z y

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »
I've had that about 4 or 5 times every year Lee. I was a bit soft with a couple of my "ex" custies and let them run up 3 cleans in the past. Until A couple of them got the idea that payment was an option. Had to take 2 of them to small claims in the end. They had to pay the costs, (about 45 quid) and the debt, plus about 5% interest. Takes about 3 months here and can be done postal, but if they want to argue, then it goes before the judge, too late then. PAY!

To avoid this, I don't let anyone get over 2 cleans without paying. Average price for my domestics is about 13 quid.

I don't think your actions were too soon or heavy handed. You're running a business, no matter how big or small. Service given, payment expected.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:16:18 pm »
Thanks Gold.

If was honest maybe I could have worded text better.

But customer was so appologetic on door step.

When i knocked for key to lock her gate for her as she is pregant I mentioned how i had just text her my bank details again and did she get text; she said i'm busy and haven't looked yet.

Which did get my back up abit tbh.

If she had said i will pay you end of next week then o.k

But to say your gonna pay and then don't isn't on in my book.

All my polite text messages didn't recieve a response but the last one did.

If I don't get payment by the end of the week then I will use thomas higgins letter before payment, don't know wether to put in her husbands name as she'll probably be having a baby.

I know how it feels to be hard up as my mrs was made redundant oct.

Customer lives in 6 bed detached house probably 2 million+ and she is renting it at probably £2000 a month upwards.
Just got back from holiday abroad, merc jeep etc.

If you don't get payment, start procedings for the amount she owes.

Stating that you very disappointed not to have received payment when promised is a recognised way of putting your point across without being confrontational.

Keep copies of texts in paper form and get started. Sometimes its good for this sort of thing to travel the grapevine as other customers will also learn that they can't mess you about.

BTW, not matter how well the job is priced, this customer isn't worth having, pregnant or not.

The thread on solicitors letters may come in handy.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Mike #1

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 01:33:52 pm »
Lee you are not jumping the gun if you feel messed about but as already mentioned it can take up to 5 days for some banks to authorise payment , I have a custy who pays online on the day of the clean and it always takes 5 days .

I give custys 7 days at the minute but i have 2 custys who are taking the the pee one custy works from home and is on PC everytime i clean but never has any cash they will be getting dropped .

Second custy i chased for 10 weeks the husband swore blind he had made payment to me and convinced his wife he had until i caught her in one night and told her i was still waiting for payment so was very very embarassed .

Cleaned again on friday i will call tonight and if not in they will get knocked at 7am as i know payment from them reaches my account in 20 mins . Mike

lee_dewing

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:45 pm »
Stating that you very disappointed not to have received payment when promised is a recognised way of putting your point across without being confrontational

I know it's been done to me that line but i paid bill immediately :D

http://www.thomashiggins.com/pages/letter_before_action.aspx
Here's thomas higgins link £2.20 for letter before payment.

Spruce you say keep paper form of text's is that just writing out on paper ???(sorry i'm a simple windie.)

I'm glad she responded to txt saying payment at end of week.
As you say evidence.
Thanks Spruce.

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »
M & M   I understand what your saying about payment showing up in your bank.

Custie has admitted though she hasn't paid and won't til the end of this week; that's the story so far anyway :(

Sorry to hear about your messers too.

Done a standing order letter now which i am sending out to the same old offenders who i tolerate as they pay but late :(
Telling them that everyone is switching over but in truth it's just the 5-10% of custies that drag out payment.

Especially the mums over my daughters school who sometimes say hello to me or don't when they owe money :'(

Lee

Mike #1

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:49:45 pm »
Good idea about late payers and standing order just for them will pinch that idea mate thanks . Mike

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05:52 pm »
M&M, here's letter i'm using edit to your liking, may save your fingers and keyboard ;D
Make sure your full name is on letter as customer phoned me from bank as needed my last name for banks reference.
Custie can also set up themselves at home on pc.
Good luck mate.
Sent a couple more letters out today.
I do change standing order date tbh they won't all be the same but adjust standing order date so money goes into my account before their clean or not if the case be :D
Will lose some but past caring now rather get around my decent custies a bit quicker than waste time on the messers.

Dear Customer,

Just to inform you as from  2013,  I am changing over to Standing Order, for payments.
There is also a price increase of £1

To clean the windows of your property next time will be £6  .

I call on a 5 week basis, so 10 cleans a year.

So could you please set up a standing order for my services of  £5 a month.   

(cost of 10 cleans = £60 divided by 12 months; therefore standing order = £5).

My  Bank Account, Sort Code: ****   Account No: *******.

Please could you set up the standing order for  the date :  January 28th 2013.       
and continuing for the  28th  every month.

(I have chosen this date for all my customers so it is easy to check everyone online
at once, sorry but I can not alter the date.)

Please   email me conformation of doing this:   dcs*********.com

I hope you continue with my service but if I do not receive an email or text confirming set up of your standing order Before  January  28th  2013  then I will take this as cancellation of my services.
If you have an outstanding balance, then please pay by internet transfer to my bank using my account details listed above.

Many thanks,  Lee Dewing, your window cleaner.
***your address email mobile etc

robertphil

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 02:49:11 pm »
its the toecap  they understand !

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »
Stating that you very disappointed not to have received payment when promised is a recognised way of putting your point across without being confrontational

Spruce you say keep paper form of text's is that just writing out on paper ???(sorry i'm a simple windie.)

As you say evidence.
Thanks Spruce.

On the latest phones you should have a usb connector that links your phone to your computer for backups. With Nokia we used Nokias PC Suit. By opening each text we can print a hardcopy.

I'm back to my old 10 year old Nokia which doesn't have that facility as both of the newer ones ended up in the washing machine.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:23 pm »

As you say evidence.
Thanks Spruce.

On the latest phones you should have a usb connector that links your phone to your computer for backups. With Nokia we used Nokias PC Suit. By opening each text we can print a hardcopy.

I'm back to my old 10 year old Nokia which doesn't have that facility as both of the newer ones ended up in the washing machine.

You should of washed them trad its a much better finish  ;D
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 04:17:42 pm »
Is this for all 4 cleans or just the one?

If it's all 4 you have been patient and I would stop calling.

If it's for one then you are getting your knickers in a twist for nothing.

If she is 2 weeks to giving birth her thoughts will be elsewhere and hormones all over the shop. Has there been a problem with the other 3 payments?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »

No, but those services are essential, window cleaning is not. I would have cancelled the OP too if I received a text like that.

Ok then hummer, let's say she bought some "non-essential" drinks while on "non-essential" holiday on her credit card or used her "non-essential" phone package - do you think they will let her go a few weeks past payment without charging interest or a few months without taking action?

If you would have cancelled the OP for the text received then I'm sure the OP would have every reason for dropping you as a "non-essential" customer.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 04:53:45 pm »
How many acctual 'non-payers' do you really have, All mine will pay up at some point. If you spend all your time chasing the payment you can loose sight of their value.