Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul McHugh

My First Clean N..ightmare!
« on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:58 pm »
Well My first carpet clean, my daughters pal a flat just lounge and hallway with the Jaguar 6.6 only used on the my newly acquired van front seats. Pretty grubby carpets and a four year old with kids paint on the carpet and playdoh in the pile, Sebo vac, oreck xl agitated black brushes ( a bit soft)  used SPM quite liberally
 on the pre spray and the synthetic carpet cleaned at about 300psi, Two and a half hours later just about finished and disaster the vacuum and pump motors stopped working, pressed the cut button switched pump and vacs on again got back to wand cut out again and again so stuffed unfinished wet carpets etc.
The result of carpets done looked pretty good. Next day back in flat horrendous smell ??
Yep went round sniffing and two metre piece near telly still somewhat stained foul stink told by client it was milk and possibly juice from kiddie, no horrendous smell prior to the clean? why should HWE make it almost unbearable to stay in the room with that smell the carpet generally now looks fair/to good. Any help as to what to do next  please.Will contact Nick at Solutions re the cut out motors when they are back after break
Any one know what would cause it on a brand new machine.     

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: My First Clean N..ightmare!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »
Vacs and pump stopped working would probably be trip switch or fuse which needs seeing to.

The smell most probably be that you have over wet that section of carpeting mat be where it was most stained and the latex backing is letting off odour.

There are multiple ways of correcting this I'd recommend that you contact nick to see what he can offer regards a remedy for the carpet and your machine.

Have you been on a training course yet?

Shaun

oliver collins

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:25:42 pm »
Hi

It might not be over wetting which seems together standerd reply for every carpet cleaning related problem,you need to check the underlay the milk may have soaked through and dried and then you have rewetted the pile which would reactivate  the bacteria that causes bad smells

Oliver Collins

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:31:03 am »
Hi
It might not be over wetting which seems together standerd reply for every carpet cleaning related problem,you need to check the underlay the milk may have soaked through and dried and then you have rewetted the pile which would reactivate  the bacteria that causes bad smells
Oliver Collins

That's because  more often than not it is the cause of the problem.
Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:33:58 am »
Well My first carpet clean, my daughters pal a flat just lounge and hallway with the Jaguar 6.6 only used on the my newly acquired van front seats. Pretty grubby carpets and a four year old with kids paint on the carpet and playdoh in the pile, Sebo vac, oreck xl agitated black brushes ( a bit soft)  used SPM quite liberally
 on the pre spray and the synthetic carpet cleaned at about 300psi, Two and a half hours later just about finished and disaster the vacuum and pump motors stopped working, pressed the cut button switched pump and vacs on again got back to wand cut out again and again so stuffed unfinished wet carpets etc.

How many litres of water did you use?

Simon

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:47 pm »
two and a half hours on a lounge and hall is a very long time..........

I suspect you have overworked the soiled areas and if at temperature reactivated the bacteria in the milk which will gas off giving the odor you describe.

We have all been there,, on my very first solo clean I ruined a Berber carpet ( a real one) which my boss at the time was highly delighted about  :'(  but it taught me a big lesson about over working areas that will not respond to cleaning.

Paul McHugh

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »
Hi guys the two and half hours was the total inc vac oreck agitation etc
Shaun the trip is built onto the the machine it did not trip the mains fuse
I may have overwet but the carpet was quite dry prior to leaving for the day when motors packed in
Hilton I think that could be the issue but What would you do to resolve it
Pre spray about 3 ltres HWE about 25ish isthat too much Hall about 4x2m lounge about 5x5

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »
If you do at least as many dry strokes as wet one's at the same speed, you won't go far wrong. Fair play to you for getting top class gear and a van to start off with, but i would have re jigged the budget a bit and bought a cheap backup machine.
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

John Geurkink

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »
Check if the overflow switch cut out the  motors, also do twice the dry strokes as wet ones.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »
As John says check for that. It is often the case when first starting out and even when upgrading to another type of machine, that when it stops unexpectantly, we forget to check the basics first and start to panic.
It's also a matter of opinion, but after using portables for my first 23 years, I think 300psi is too high a pressure for any machine on carpets other than a Truck Mount, I don't care how many vacs theyve got. 150 psi is the max that I would go with. My portables by the way would only go up to 100psi with twin vacs and that combo worked well for me.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Neil Jones

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »
Did you have the auto dump on?

Paul McHugh

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:40:44 pm »
Dave Thanks great point ,Yes Its already noted 300psi is too much if I am honest I did not realise it it was 300 untill well into the clean I will make sure
from now on 150 is where I need to be 

Paul McHugh

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:23 pm »
Neil auto dump no I don't really know how to use it yet gate valve so far

Paul McHugh

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 10:48:53 pm »
John, I will bear that in mind next time 1xwet min 2x dry passes min
if I'm honest not sure if I was pressing the trigger on almost every stroke
I will be more careful next time

Paul McHugh

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:51:06 pm »
Hilton Your probably right but what do I do to solve my self inflicted problem out?

Dave_Lee

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 02:56:11 pm »
Unless the carpet took an age to dry, the cleaning probably did re-activate some odour causing nasty already in the carpet.
Often they are not noticeable once thoroughly dry, but if the smell persists, without going to the extent of lifting the carpet to see whether it is coming from the underlay (which if it is, would need that section replacing) you could heavily MIST an effective deodoriser over the pile and brush in, then allow to dry.
Make sure it is a DEODORISER and not a just a perfume or scent. A proper deodoriser will break down the odour causing bacteria, a perfume or scent will simply mask the smell for a short time, only for it to return.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

neil 47

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 05:14:31 pm »
hilton good point

for me a lounge and hall 1 hour max
IICRC

Paul McHugh

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:44 pm »
Dave_lee
Can You recommend a good deoderiser please with a supplier   

john martin

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:47 pm »

so ...  it looks like in a desperate attempt to keep water from entering the stacks , solutions are retro fitting an electronic cut out switch way down the waste tank level ....
so that 50L or whatever advertized waste capacity is probably about half that usable ...
its an odd situation ...  a distributor patching up various design issues ... and a manufacturer insistent that the initial design is great .   
 :)

Hilton

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »
Sorry Paul

Only just seen your question,

Microban Formula X , never had any issues with it, solves a lot of bacteria problems.  ;)