This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ben M

Re: work without a pump controller?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 12:19:49 pm »
how do you switch off the pump without controller?

thanks

Buy a toggle switch from Halfords and put it in the positive wire between the battery and the pump ;)
Thanks Ian, do i have to put a fuse too?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:17 pm »
Or have a tap on yer belt to regulate the flow.
It's a game of three halves!

R.C Property

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 02:34:46 pm »
The down side to regulating the flow with just the tap by only turning it on a little, this will cause the pump to pulse and this can cause the pump to bring out quicker.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
I work without a controller but I do have a pole tap to turn off between window because you do use a lot of water. I agree with Richard don't regulate the flow it's not doing the pressure switch any good.
Having said that I've just ordered the controller off eBay that Tosh posted.
I've never had a controller mainly because of all the problems people on here have and because they are so overpriced but this ones less than a tenner so I'll try it.
I've noticed a few on here saying use a high flow & work faster if so why use a controller at all?

R.C Property

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 03:42:05 pm »
I work without a controller but I do have a pole tap to turn off between window because you do use a lot of water. I agree with Richard don't regulate the flow it's not doing the pressure switch any good.
I've never had a controller mainly because of all the problems people on here have and because they are so overpriced but this ones less than a tenner so I'll try it.
I've noticed a few on here saying use a high flow & work faster if so why use a controller at all?

Yer its less than a tenner, but then you have to buy a fuse and holder, wires, waterproof casing for it waterproof grommets for wires to go through the casing. So that all adds up

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »

thanks

Buy a toggle switch from Halfords and put it in the positive wire between the battery and the pump ;)

Yes.

I would never run any sort of electrical equipment without having some sort of fused protection in the circuit.

As for regulating the flow causing the pressure switch to burn out, as I said in my earlier post you don't need the pressure switch.  Have a look at the pump - the positive wire goes to a connector on the head of the pump (black plastic part).  There is another wire coming from a connector next to this one and back to the other end of the pump where the negative wire goes in.  Connect these two wires together and that by-passes the pressure switch.

Provided you never close your water bypass valve, the pump will run quite happily like this, only switching on and off when you do it with the toggle switch.

It is advisable to rig some sort of stop to prevent accidental total closure of the valve as this would result in the pump blowing off pipe connections and/or burning out the motor.

As I said earlier - some of my lads use this method all the time and none have had any problems other than flattening a battery that isn't as good as it should be.

R.C Property

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 04:35:19 pm »

thanks

Yes.

I would never run any sort of electrical equipment without having some sort of fused protection in the circuit.

As for regulating the flow causing the pressure switch to burn out, as I said in my earlier post you don't need the pressure switch.  Have a look at the pump - the positive wire goes to a connector on the head of the pump (black plastic part).  There is another wire coming from a connector next to this one and back to the other end of the pump where the negative wire goes in.  Connect these two wires together and that by-passes the pressure switch.

Provided you never close your water bypass valve, the pump will run quite happily like this, only switching on and off when you do it with the toggle switch.

It is advisable to rig some sort of stop to prevent accidental total closure of the valve as this would result in the pump blowing off pipe connections and/or burning out the motor.

As I said earlier - some of my lads use this method all the time and none have had any problems other than flattening a battery that isn't as good as it should be.

Those guys must use loads of water doing it that way, I know it don't cost much, but still waste of money and water and  charging the batteries all the time if they don't have a split charger on, all for the cost of a £40 basic controller,

DG Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 04:37:28 pm »

Yer its less than a tenner, but then you have to buy a fuse and holder, wires, waterproof casing for it waterproof grommets for wires to go through the casing. So that all adds up

I can get all that for free Richard

R.C Property

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »

I can get all that for free Richard

That's ok then, not everyone can.

Tom White

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 05:04:19 pm »
You may have to reconnect the pressure switch, it's very simple to do, and Wilkies sell a simple switch for pennies.

Flow controllers are naff; over priced, over engineered, they're not robust and I dislike 'em.

R.C Property

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 05:11:06 pm »
You may have to reconnect the pressure switch, it's very simple to do, and Wilkies sell a simple switch for pennies.

Flow controllers are naff; over priced, over engineered, they're not robust and I dislike 'em.

Your right, the more technology that they have the more problems they have to!

That's why I build them and can supply them for £40!! My 2 have lasted for over 2 years and never had any problems!

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 06:12:40 pm »
[quote author=richard clues

Those guys must use loads of water doing it that way, I know it don't cost much, but still waste of money and water and  charging the batteries all the time if they don't have a split charger on, all for the cost of a £40 basic controller,
[/quote]

Errrmmm.....   No.  The whole idea is to control the amount of water going to the brush without using an electronic controller.  Setting the position of the water bypass valve allows more (or less) water to reach the brush.

The advantage is that the only part that could jeopardise the operation is the pump itself, which is much more robust than the controller or the pressure switch.

Regardless of the pros and cons, the original question was something like: "Is it necessary to use a pump controller?"  The simple answer, with examples, is "No".

Tom White

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »
Have a look at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290736054991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ross built his own flow controller using something like this; I've got one on my desk.  Very simple; two wires go to the power, two wires go to the pump.

I plan to try it out between Christmas and New Year; but if it works, it's a flow controller for £6.00.

That's better than the over-engineered rubbish I purchased (two of 'em) and barely got a year out of each; and they messed me about big style too.

I'm still resentful over that!  ;D

R.C Property

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »
Have a look at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290736054991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ross built his own flow controller using something like this; I've got one on my desk.  Very simple; two wires go to the power, two wires go to the pump.

I plan to try it out between Christmas and New Year; but if it works, it's a flow controller for £6.00.

That's better than the over-engineered rubbish I purchased (two of 'em) and barely got a year out of each; and they messed me about big style too.

I'm still resentful over that!  ;D

Like I said earlier its not just £6, you got all the other parts and casing to go with it!

Tom White

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 09:18:48 pm »
Ah, I didn't read your earlier post, Richard; do you use these ones?

Wossy wasn't sure what he bought when he stuck that link up.  To be honest, I'm not arsed about the casing, I'll cobble summat together; I'm more of a 'it works' kinda guy than a 'it looks pretty and it works' bloke.

I could use the casing from an old broken flow controller; it may mean drilling a hole for the dial, but I'm sure my DIY skills can cope.

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »
I used a bypass like Ian said he lad does for over a year. Very simple to set up and the only issue is the battery use.

R.C Property

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 09:33:10 pm »
Ah, I didn't read your earlier post, Richard; do you use these ones?

Wossy wasn't sure what he bought when he stuck that link up.  To be honest, I'm not arsed about the casing, I'll cobble summat together; I'm more of a 'it works' kinda guy than a 'it looks pretty and it works' bloke.

I could use the casing from an old broken flow controller; it may mean drilling a hole for the dial, but I'm sure my DIY skills can cope.

Wouldnt use a 10amp one, I use a 15amp one.

The casing will need to be waterproof and and drill holes will need to be sealed. Any water even a little drop can short and burn it out.

Tom White

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »
Cheers, Richard!

R.C Property

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 09:52:53 pm »
Cheers, Richard!

No problem. My 2 i have in my van has been in there for 2years and had no problem with them yet.

Don't forget to wire a fuse and a switch onto it too!

ben M

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »

Your right, the more technology that they have the more problems they have to!

That's why I build them and can supply them for £40!! My 2 have lasted for over 2 years and never had any problems!

hi Richard,have you got a pic? thanks