Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ben wood

good day I have had
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:16:11 pm »
Turned up at a custys today I have been doing his for 3 years I new he was not well but turned out he has died I always had a coffee and chat with him. Well family were the cleaning out house and told me. Any way the daughter shocked me by saying he enjoyed my visit each month and had put in his will forme to hhave his old collectable motor bike which we used to chat about with him saying it's worth 10000 pounds and she said if I want I should sell it what would you do as I am not interested in them to be honest.

johnny bravo

Re: good day I have had
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:33 pm »
grab it quick photos   on ebay,     have a smile and a drink  knowing you gave him company,  a lot of people dont have anyone to talk too.,  no good when your in a hurry to finish ::) ::)

Ben wood

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:33:07 pm »
The bike is already in my garage mate just feel bad putting for sale

Steve Sed

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:33:51 pm »
What is it?

Crystal-clear

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:36:19 pm »
The bike is already in my garage mate just feel bad putting for sale

well why dont you keep it for a bit reminisce on old times and remember him that way , later on after maybe a year has passed im sure if selling it was what you wanted he would be happy with that,you dont need to sell it tomorrow ! enjoy it a bit thats why he gave it to you!

wpclean

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »
That is a lovely story, and it is a credit to you to have taken the time to talk to him on each visit.

I am sure he would have wanted you to make good use of the bike.

ben M

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »
That is a lovely story, and it is a credit to you to have taken the time to talk to him on each visit.

+1

keyser soze

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 07:54:35 pm »

same tbh

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »
The daughter said you should sell it if you didn't want it - so do it without a bad conscience for doing it.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

robertphil

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:16 pm »
youve got to ride it, at least the once

Ben wood

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:39:01 pm »
It's an old old triumph can't remember what model now will look in the morning and no chance of me riding it I would fall off the bloody thing and plus its only little and I weight 16 stone so would prob fall apart lol

weetot

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 08:51:35 pm »
Feels good to hear a nice story on here for a change, apart from the bloke dying that is.  Good for you mate.  Ive had plenty of cuppas with custys over the years, and the only tip I get; is 'get the corners next time'.    >:(
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

colin purewater

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »

Ye full marks mate for taking time out for him

You've got to at least get some one to ride it!

There's an old fella one my round who's just had a heart attack!!

I must mention how much i like his Winnebago to him  ;)
keep it simple

weetot

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »

Ye full marks mate for taking time out for him

You've got to at least get some one to ride it!

There's an old fella one my round who's just had a heart attack!!

I must mention how much i like his Winnebago to him  ;)

;D
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Richard60

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 09:47:45 pm »
for sale peugoet xpert van 04 crewvan

might swap for triumph motor cycle  ;) tacky

wightsurf

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 10:06:20 pm »
Or think of it another way. if it is worth alot ,just think what it will be worth in say 5 or 10 yrs time. I would polish it up and wrap and store,better than a pension  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 08:27:47 am »
It's an old old triumph can't remember what model now will look in the morning and no chance of me riding it I would fall off the bloody thing and plus its only little and I weight 16 stone so would prob fall apart lol

Is it 1950's or 1960's - if so then a 500 twin/triple cylinder or larger in good nick will be worth good money but not 10000 unless it is a concourse Bonneville or Trident.

Describe it on here - it might have a number such as T90; T100; T110; T120 on the side or if it's a littlun it might be Tiger Cub or Trophy.

Of course if its pre WW2 it might have some 5 figure value.
It's a game of three halves!

Paul H

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:43:01 am »
Maybe sell..

Keep half

and return half to the family for grand kids or something in a trust / savings ?

That would go down well

Joseph Michael

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:27 am »
This is a fantastic story, especially after reading someones post about stopping and talking to old folks a couple of weeks ago. This story shows how much it means to these people and will hopefully give a few windys a bit of a nudge, especially this time of year. Look at the difference you can make on someones life, sometimes without even knowing it.
Is that a tear I can feel Joe.!!!??

Tom Kelly

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 10:30:44 am »
Faith in humanity: Restored!

What a lovely story! :D

robbo333

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 02:04:48 pm »
Flog it!  :D
I am guessing at some time he rode that bike and if you're not going to ride it, then it's wasted. You can't leave a good bike like that locked up in a garage; it needs to be ridden. Sell it and give a proper rider the opportunity to enjoy the bike as the old guy did. Use the money to buy your family a nice holiday and enjoy each other's company in the same way the ole guy enjoyed yours.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Ben wood

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 04:53:59 pm »
It's a triumph t120r 1966 all original and in mint condition.
I have a man coming over next weekend to value it and poss buy it. With the money I am going to use to expand

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 05:02:26 pm »
It's a triumph t120r 1966 all original and in mint condition.
I have a man coming over next weekend to value it and poss buy it. With the money I am going to use to expand

That is probably the most sought after post war Triumph ever! A 1966 650cc Bonneville in mint condition! A genuine sports ton-up machine, certainly 110 mph plus.

Don't take the first offer; subscribe to "Classic Motorcycle" get some advice; it can only appreciate in value. Get it insured and sleep with it until you get your money.

gary999

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 06:09:37 pm »
hold onto it this bikes value will only grow

wightsurf

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:57 pm »
I agree

Richard60

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 06:25:19 pm »
as gold said dont sell it to the first person who make s. u a offer .
 it could be a sort after bike .
and as gary 999 said people buy these bikes as a investment .they only grow in value .

AuRavelling79

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 04:59:12 pm »
How did the valuation go? Any news?

Ben wood

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »
I have just wrapped her up in the garage as I think I might keep her for 5 more years and see then what it's worth

keyser soze

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 05:03:31 pm »
I have just wrapped her up in the garage as I think I might keep her for 5 more years and see then what it's worth

good sensible thinking imho

shina

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »
I was promised a Bentley in a custys will years ago. He died and never heard anything. The thing is it really wouldnt be worth much anyway. He had the mot done and never drove it all year, when he took it for the mot the following year it failed ;D

I wouldnt give it the garage space so I would have sold it

AuRavelling79

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 06:08:07 pm »

good sensible thinking imho

However kick starting it, trickle charging the battery and letting it run every month isn't a bad idea. If you can take it for a spin in good dry conditions for say a 20 mile run it will stop all the rubber seals perishing. And MOT it annually too.

Tax is free and insurance (as a classic) is cheap.

scud

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 06:14:36 pm »
  Spray a good load of wd40 all over it, and just kick it over every now and then without starting it just to move the piston to another position.
  Drain any fuel out of it also and make sure that it isn't just water in the cooling system.
  If you are close by I am happy to take it for a spin every now and then.

The important thing is that if you do start it make sure it is run until hot, not just warm as this will cause build up of moisture in the engine.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »
  Spray a good load of wd40 all over it, and just kick it over every now and then without starting it just to move the piston to another position.
  Drain any fuel out of it also and make sure that it isn't just water in the cooling system.
  If you are close by I am happy to take it for a spin every now and then.

The important thing is that if you do start it make sure it is run until hot, not just warm as this will cause build up of moisture in the engine.

Take the spark plugs out and kick it over several times to circulate the oil (make sure there is oil in it!!) Do this regularly - at least once a month and remember to put the plugs back again.  A standing engine will allow oil to drain down into the crank case and over a long time the pistons, rings and valve gear can rust due to lack of oil.  Also check gearbox oil - even a slight leak can empty the box and ruin the clutch and shaft bearings.  Block up the carburretor air intakes (but take it out when you spin the enging over) - this will stop condensation getting in.

Don't worry about cooling fluid - it's air-cooled.

Just had a quick look round some dealers: price is in the £6,000 to £8,000 range.

Lovely machine!!  I had one of the first 'unit construction' (engine and gearbox made as one unit) Bonnevilles - 'B' reg.  Paid £265 for it second hand when it was just over a year old.  If only I'd kept it....... ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 06:45:09 pm »
I was promised a Bentley in a custys will years ago. He died and never heard anything. The thing is it really wouldnt be worth much anyway. He had the mot done and never drove it all year, when he took it for the mot the following year it failed ;D

I wouldnt give it the garage space so I would have sold it

Me too.
No great loss, though. A very overrated brush.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐