This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

preference:wfp or traditional?

wfp
64.4%
38 (64.4%)
traditional
35.6%
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Re: wfp or traditional POLL VOTE
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 05:53:54 pm »
im with gaza on this one.
bird crap and spiders webs arent left on any of the windows i clean.
you need to know what your doing.
i would put my pole work up against anyones trad method any day, if they know how to squeegee properly the results would be identical,only difference being that i would of rolled a f*g and been sat in my van half way through my cup of coffee before they had finished round the back!!!
 ;D ;D ::)
why oh why has the word fAg been censored!!!!?
i certainly wasnt suggesting that i was rolling a homosexual in the van!!!!! :o
the word crap isnt censored but "fAg" is. Hilarious ;D ;D ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 06:13:44 pm »
It's ok to roll a crap in your van. ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 06:38:30 pm »

Well it would be on the forum here, as they've all got the idea from each other and copied their mates.

Aside from the forum people, I've only ever seen 2 window cleaners with wfp in the whole country.

I haven't seen many people using it either Squeaky.  Apart from myself using it on domestic and some light commercial, I have only seen companies using it on commercial contracts.
I have discussed it with a few window cleaners who i meet around and they all seem to see the pitfalls and none of the advantages.  I can't say too much though because I was very sceptical at first too.  It didn't seem to make sense that a brush could give as good or even better finish than a rubber blade.  I researched it thoroughly and spent a bit of time working with people before spending my money (sorry - that should read the bank's money)   :)  ) .
I've only made the transition in recent weeks and it can still be a struggle at times but I'm glad I made the switch even though I'm only just beginning to see some benefits.
I'm not looking forward to the predicted freeze-up next week though.  Might have to get my ladders and some screenwash out for that.

gaza

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 10:23:36 pm »
BRETT:Wasnt using my ladder mits or rojak cus had lent them to squeaky so he would be extra safe ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 01:22:13 pm »
It's ok to roll a crap in your van. ;D
[/quote
funny funny man  ;D
looking at your new van squeeky, reckon i culd shoe-horn a 250ltr system in there, interested?? ;)

WavieDavie

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2006, 11:26:51 pm »
I do find WFP harder work though - unlike many here.  It may be because my arm muscles are still adapting.

Trust me, you're doing it wrong - look at the size of your thigh muscles (quadruceps) compared to the size of your arm muscles (bi + triceps) and figure out which will do the most work for the least effort.

Use the spring/bend of the pole, combined with a rocking motion between your front and back leg to do most of the work for you, whilst keeping the pole more or less stationery because your arms don't move.

If that doesn't make sense ask someone who's been wfp'ing for a while to show you or do a search for wfp videos

If it helps, we get a reduction on our EL + PL because we use wfp, but we'll never be 100%. Consider it as another string to your bow, not the be-all and end-all of window cleaning.

HTH
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Simply Clean Windows

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 07:36:43 pm »
i have been using wfp for the last year,long before i found this forum,have been really surprised how many of us use wfp.

pjulk

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 10:05:38 pm »
I prefer WFP and 95% of my work is done with the WFP.

The other 5% done by ladders for various reasons.

Like a long walk from the van and they have a flat roof or locked gate,
In these cases there is no way i could manage my trolley poles's and ladder so now just grab the ladder for these.

Also some ali frames that are oxidised are done by ladders.
And some done by ladders because it a lot quicker on that particular job.

But at the end of the day i prefer WFP

Paul

Paul Coleman

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 10:46:27 pm »
I do find WFP harder work though - unlike many here.  It may be because my arm muscles are still adapting.

Trust me, you're doing it wrong - look at the size of your thigh muscles (quadruceps) compared to the size of your arm muscles (bi + triceps) and figure out which will do the most work for the least effort.

Use the spring/bend of the pole, combined with a rocking motion between your front and back leg to do most of the work for you, whilst keeping the pole more or less stationery because your arms don't move.

If that doesn't make sense ask someone who's been wfp'ing for a while to show you or do a search for wfp videos

If it helps, we get a reduction on our EL + PL because we use wfp, but we'll never be 100%. Consider it as another string to your bow, not the be-all and end-all of window cleaning.

HTH

What you say about the "rocking motion" makes perfect sense.  I've even seen it demo'd too.  I find that I keep having to force myself into doing it that way - even though it is clearly better.  The only times I have to do it from the arms are when I'm having to work right underneath a window due to a boundary fence or similar.  Also, if I'm having to hold the pole at a more horizontal angle due to a flat roof/conservatory.  Apart from the above, there is no good reason to put the strain onto my arms - it's just about learning new habits.
Thanks for the tip.