Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mikey Y

Re: Whose fell off??
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2004, 08:19:35 pm »
I had a fall about 2 years ago, cleaning a large window I guess my feet were about 8 ft high, it was an internal window above a door, with marble floor, the ladder slipped ina second, I landed standing upright on a rung, dont no how I did not break my foot, but I have problems with my heel almost every day now, and have bought some special insoles to cushion the heels.

Lesson learnt, use a rubber mat when on marble floor ;)

Mike Y

denzle

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2004, 08:19:38 pm »
I have stepped off the bottom rung straight into a fish pond. Middle of winter and up to me knees in water,
Oh how i chuckled about that !!
Denzle

gaza

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 03:05:16 am »
A WINDOW CLEANER I KNOW HAS SO HE TELLS ME NEVER HAD A FALL IN 25 YRS,UNTILL HE WAS JUMPING UP AND DOWN ON HIS WHEELIE BIN TO GET SOME MORE RUBBISH IN IT,IT TIPPED UP AND HE SHATTERED HIS HIP, BEEN OF WORK ABOUT 10 MONTHS, STILL NOT RIGHT
IVE FELL 16FT HEAD FIRST INTO YORKSHIRE STONE BRICK WALL AND WAS AT WORK NEXT DAY,LANDED ON MY HEAD ,SO I NEVER DAMAGED ANYTHING,BUT MY SHOULDER STILL CLICKS FROM THAT DAY ON,ALSO FELL OF MY TERRACE HOUSE ROOF BACK UP ROOF 10 MINS LATER,WHEN I GOT MY BREATH BACK.THINK I WAS A CAT IN PREVIOUS LIFE.MY SON HAS A WEEK OFF' ; WITH A BROKEN FLASK. YOUNGS TODAY!
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 05:32:05 pm »
Twice,and once when on scaffolding when I stepped backwards to admire my handiwork- No hand rail.  :-\Thick or what.
I now advocate and use a waterfed pole.

WavieDavie

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2004, 01:16:35 pm »
Three times in 21 years unfortunately.

First was when I was getting down after going over a garage to get to a customer's back garden. Put the ladder down onto slightly sloping concrete with a gradual build-up of green algae, mossy stuff, as it was always in the shade. Well, this was the time that it had built up to too much - one foot on the ladder, no problem, both feet and the safety feet slipped away on the slimey stuff. I could see what was happening so tried to hold on to the coping stones - that worked, I kept out of the way of the bouncing ladder, but scraped one arm as I slid down. The resulting scabby arm was probably worse than a sore ankle.

Next was when I was in a hurry and hadn't made sure that both safety feet were flat on the ground. Got just about to the ledge and the ladder bucked, went to hold on to the "drip" moulding below the actual d/g unit and the soddin thing came off in my hand! Just think, if whatever you're trying to pull yourself in with comes away, you suddenly find that your body is pushing you off from the building - is it a bird, is it a plane, NO it's daft Davie Park! Hit the ground and wondered what the strange noise was - that was the air being pushed out my lungs with the impact. AND I landed on my BoaB - no laughing at the back please!

Third one was a bit of a giggle. A shop we do has multiple doors and my short ladder got placed at the top of one double set which was always locked. Except that day it wasn't - I'd just got up for some awkward work around the extractor fan when the doors started opening in the way - ladder obviously follows the opening doors and I hold on to the frame, so I'm up there while the girls in the shop give me a large round of applause.

Window cleaning? Boring? No chance.

Lessons learned - of course.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

NBwcs

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 09:38:03 pm »
 :o Started out like many do, with a cheap diy ladder and it slipped away at the bottom and I went down with it like a lead balloon.Wasnt badly hurt but scared sh**less.Ive been told that if it happens, you should stay put and wait for the bang rather than jump, but quite frankly you dont get time to think. Bought myself a splayed based pointer very soon after, best investment out. Still see w.c.'s who have been about for years using "antique" ladders and it scares me just watching them.

WavieDavie

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2004, 10:49:29 pm »
Time for a rant about old ladders, I feel!

Get yourelf onto http://www.scafftag.co.uk/fshome.asp click on "Products" and then scroll down and click on "LadderTag".

An excellent system on different levels.
One, it reminds you to physically check the condition of your ladders every three months. I know, us professionals mentally do this every time we go up and down these esteemed pieces of equipment, but . . . 
Two, you have a register of your ladders and any changes they've gone through - non-slip grips replaced, stile-ends renewed, etc etc.
Three, any H+S officer on a commercial job will think you're completely on the ball if you mention that you utilise something like this.
Four, in the event of any accident involving an employee and ladders, you can show that the ladders were in A1 condition.
There's more, but you must be getting bored by now.

Quite frankly, you could do the same yourself, but this system gives you a bit more "cred" and professionalism. Well worth the little it costs - trust me!

You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk