This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: grudge cleans?still got a few?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 07:29:05 pm »
It always amazes me all this prices cannot got. For got sake you are all business men even if yiur mind is not there yet.Have you ever heard of inflation.That is always on the news its currently running at 3.9% that is the increase we all have in our lives.That is what should be the amount we all should go up at least.IT IS NOT OUR JOB TO SAVE OUR CUSTOMER BUDGET. Daz is responding like a true business man and more should them.The reality of things is if prices never go up you will go down the drain sooner or later.We only have so many hour to work if we fill up this time we will not cover our expenses. I even read of a chap who promised his customers he will never up.This is just the dumbness thing I have heard off.Come on guys stop been so naive this is a business we are in.Do you see the utility companies freezing prices does the super market keep prices static. NO.So them why should we be the hero`s that keep our prices low.All I need to know is were will they build the monument to all us loosers.If you have no understanding of business then please get some education on the subject.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 07:32:15 pm »
It always amazes me all this prices cannot got. For got sake you are all business men even if yiur mind is not there yet.Have you ever heard of inflation.That is always on the news its currently running at 3.9% that is the increase we all have in our lives.That is what should be the amount we all should go up at least.IT IS NOT OUR JOB TO SAVE OUR CUSTOMER BUDGET. Daz is responding like a true business man and more should them.The reality of things is if prices never go up you will go down the drain sooner or later.We only have so many hour to work if we fill up this time we will not cover our expenses. I even read of a chap who promised his customers he will never up.This is just the dumbness thing I have heard off.Come on guys stop been so naive this is a business we are in.Do you see the utility companies freezing prices does the super market keep prices static. NO.So them why should we be the hero`s that keep our prices low.All I need to know is were will they build the monument to all us loosers.If you have no understanding of business then please get some education on the subject.

Quite right!  :D
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 07:41:29 pm »
 I am tired of reading such bull as all some want is some to sink with them then it become right. To agree with a dumb statement does not make it correct.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 07:44:13 pm »
WFP does cost thousands to keep running!!when you factor in van,tax,repairs,insurances,equipment,fuel,poles,brushes,pumps,batteries,resin,hoses,etc.the list is endless!!!

the fact of the matter is i need a van for my business with all the cost it entails.i also need a seperate car which ill be buying soon for leisure/pleasure and ferrying loved ones around.

years ago i just needed an old car,ladders and scrims.times have changed and i need to reflect the higher overheads in my prices charged for the job.simple!

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 07:59:31 pm »
Daz you are a true example to all of use. well done. YOU ARE WELL ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRUE PROFESSIONAL.WE NEED MORE TO WALK IN YOUR FOOT AND THIS INDUSTRY MIGHT STAND A CHANCE IN THE FUTURE. ;) ;)

alank

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:17 pm »
No grudge cleans, all our prices going up in april, all at the same time.

Jackal

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 08:49:01 pm »
iv got a few grudges aswell which are going up in april but wont be going up to wot i really want them to be as it would be to big a rise,really need to put alot of my compact stuff up aswell not sorted out which ones yet or by how much,dont want to go crazy really as want to keep them for now ideally, until i convert to wfp later this year or by next jan/feb latest, then il shave 10 mins of a normal semi i hope and hourly rate would rise,im at the point where im pretty full round,but want another 50 custy so can bump prices up and incase i lose some on change over

JackieW

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 09:28:51 pm »
I'm on approx 45p a minute or £27 an hour traditional window cleaning on a bought round. I want to move to 60p a minute or £36 an hour. This is a 33% increase. Average house is about £9 and I want it increased to £12. Do you think I'll get away with it? Getting away is the wrong phrase but you know what I mean. Has anyone experienced this sort of increase and what was the reaction?

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:49 am »
its FEAR that stops most of us from price rises.thinking we ll lose shedloads of work!!does it happen though?ive only ever lost 3-4 jobs every time ive put prices up on a large scale.

i am without a doubt the best window cleaner in my area.i work hard and im efficient and well organized.i find once you explain why they are going up most are fine with it.

some customers will just let you clean their windows for a cheap price forever if you let them.funnily enough the very slight price increases(eg 50p) ones have cancelled on me before now!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 08:44:05 am »
I am the dump one who says to his customers that their prices will NEVER be increased.

Now you might think I'm mad, but it does work.

I look at my monthly turnover figure and profit margin and convert this down to my hourly turnover rate, to judge whether it works.

When I first started I had a hourly rate of £33 it's now £41.

Now the secret to it, have a look at your round, does it stay the same all year around, you will find that it doesn't.

You will lose some customers, and you will gain some.

At first you need to make sure that all your customers price are achieving your monthly and hourly rate, if any need to be increased then do so, if its by more than £1 per clean, then raise them in stages, the 1st of Janruary is a good date.

You now need to set the rate for new customers, this is always higher than what your current customers are paying, I normally charge £2 per clean more.

The next part is easier, re-orginise your round and what equipment you use, for instance mix some higher priced work with your lower priced jobs.

Also you will find that a backpack is faster on some jobs than the trolley or van mount is, and vise versa.

If you don;t have these systems then get them because they will make you money.

It really is not rocket science, for the last 4 years, my turnover has increased each year and I have a very healthy profit margin.

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 09:06:12 am »
Forgot to mention, for those who are about to slate me, you need to be charging the correct amount in the first place, for this to work.

6 years ago, my minimum charge was £10 and if  I followed the trend by increasing by £1 per year, I would now be charging £16 for a house with an average of 7 windows.

How long do you think I will keep these customers.?

So before you all start calling this idea dumb, look at your work and prices first, you will then find that a lot of your jobs are not increased, so why not market this to make you stand out from the competition.

Tom White

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 09:19:51 am »

Also you will find that a backpack is faster on some jobs than the trolley or van mount is, and vise versa.

I won't take on a new job that requires a backpack and I've dropped the stuff that does, so I kinda disagree here (though I realise there is no hard 'n' fast rules; and if a job is priced right, then that makes all the difference).

So as a general rule, faffing about with a back pack/trolley will slow you down and you should avoid these jobs.  If it can't be done with a van mount, price high, or don't take the job on.

Good post, though, Hydro.

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:21 pm »
I can understand what you are saying with a backpack, normally this is used because I have to go though the house, or down alleyways, if thats the case then the price of the job is increased.

What I meann't with the use of the backpack on other jobs, is sometimes its quicker than using the van mount.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »
i dont have anything under 12.50 on my books lol
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

brianbarber

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33:47 pm »
Daz, as i have said before, and indeed, the term I've always used is grudge cleans, you need to just put these up,and they will either accept or leave.
Don't worry about the custys job prospects.
Forget the word recession.
Think about yourself and your family.
Increase prices at worst every two years.

I posted before, two old neighbours from my old estate, 4 bedroom detached houses....still paying 8 and 10 each for  4 wkly cleans........the windy has charged the same for in excess of 7 years for one , and 10 years for other....

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

G Griffin

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 12:26:15 am »
I am tired of reading such bull as all some want is some to sink with them then it become right. To agree with a dumb statement does not make it correct.

I agree!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Inside Out

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 07:12:17 am »
sounds like an idea DW.thing is ive been cleaning some of this very compact work for 15+ years and they are all good payers plus i get lots of conny roof/fascia cleans in spring/summer,good xmas tips etc.

Say you get better priced houses. You probably won't get all these extra little jobs, and or tips. So you ll break even anyway! And say you lose a 10 house but gain a 15, the extra 5 is soon lost if you have to keep chasing payment. And 150 a day is good going IMO. I go home happy at that if working alone!

dazmond

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 07:32:49 am »
i think it would be madness to sell this compact work then use the money to pay a canvasser to pay for better priced work.im not doing it!!

instead im systematically putting  virtually all the prices up on both estates by £1 -£2 with a few "ultimatum" cleans going up£4-£5 with a "take it or leave it" attitude.

its working for me up to now!!

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 05:19:44 pm »

I agree!

;D
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Deangsi

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »
I'm a bit like you, Daz.  And it's easy to avoid putting your prices up.  Last year we went all WFP, new (2nd hand) van etc; and I didn't want to put my prices up in tandem with that.

This year I'll dither 'cos of my perception of some of my customer's finances.

I need more work also.

In fact the bottom line is that I need to get my lazy ass out and rustle up some more work.  More work means less fear when it comes to putting up prices; I can afford to lose them.  But even then, that's irrational because in the past when I've put prices up, I've rarely lost any - never more than three.

Another thing I've always done is, if I've worked hard and got upto date, rather than keep working to get to a point where I've no work - and then get out canvassing - I'll just get lazy and spread the work I have left out.  I need to keep my nose to the grind stone, run out of work, and then get canvassing.

So, I think this is the plan:

1.  Work hard till I've ran out of jobs to clean.
2.  Canvass.
3.  Put prices up.

Oh, and another thing I've ended up with is that I clean accounts in an illogical order.  I have my favourites, which tend to get done bang on time, and I have my usual stuff, which is in and amongst my favourites; and these get done 'as and when'.  I need to get them all in order so I'm not wasting time and fuel travelling about.

im with this also getting george in canvassing :)