This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Window Washers

Re: Harris Pole weight versus carbon fibre
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 11:16:17 am »
clx is cheap enuf to bin after 12mths  ;)
I agree with this as I have a couple of these aswell,

My advice would be if you cannot afford a Slx, then use a clx if you cant afford that use a Harris, the main point is get started regardless

The reason I prefer the slx to the harris is because of the clamps and the height I have the 30ft and use this as an only pole for all domestic work, if thats not high enough I dont do it on domestics, there has to be a cut off point and thats it.
Commercial is a dirrent kettle of fish.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 11:17:08 am »
This is one of those Rare times Tosh! Nothing changes!
What size slx do you use?

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19:05 am »
Ian the best reply and the one I should of, but could'nt bring myself too, put in the start!

Window Washers

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19:15 am »
Tosh i'm told ridges feel better  :o
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »
HI Jacky I love a Harris pole and even when I can have a carbon pole.  I will still love a Harris great pole. They are like dicks on a forum Harris been the tickler and carbon a man size ego shaker.
Under 5 metre I would not use any other pole but a Harris pole ,but when it is longer carbon is the answer.
Your research has hit the nail on the head,why pay more for nothing more.The manufacture has taken our brain and fried them. The one and only negative is the clamps in winter are a bit difficult to loosen. ;D ;D

Tom White

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 03:52:28 pm »
This is one of those Rare times Tosh! Nothing changes!

Kent, everything changes, mate, from moment to moment.  It's a universal law.  Nothing remains the same for ever; all things are impermanent, subject to change, and in a state of flux.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 06:01:16 pm »
Wots the tds of this "Flux" stuff ?  :) and will it help the sheeting effect when used with sunshine and pure ?

jouk45

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »
it is just another  means of getting water to the glass, im my experience, the harris has a big advantage of most carbon poles with its flexability over garages, window rails ect, stiffness is good, but has its disitvantages aswell, also because a pole has been tagged as a decorating pole, does not mean it cant do the job. also i should mention, the harris is a great training pole for newbies

Handyman Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 10:04:09 pm »
just like kentkleen i had the same opinion to the harris pole untill i relised last year that i was being an arrogant snob.
these harris poles look better than the unger traditional poles. so why cant they be used as a WFP?

i am yet to make my own harris pole as i havnt looked in to it, but as soon as my gardeners 18footer goes that will be doctered in to a downstairs pole.

i will replace it with a harris pole. i like the push button feature ive seen on them.

1 question, can the hose feed through the pole just like other WFP's
Stephen C Brophy

Tom White

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 10:20:58 pm »
1 question, can the hose feed through the pole just like other WFP's

Of course it can.  Don't go for the pole with the push button; go for the one with the black twist clamps; remember you only need a slight 'nip' to lock em tight; you don't need to wrestle them closed.

And yeh, I'm a nip, I know I know (just to beat the wise asses!  ;D).

Handyman Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:02 pm »
i'll definately get one, at the end of the day its the brush and the water that does the cleaning.
Stephen C Brophy

stuart mc

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 10:35:24 pm »
I am back to using my harris pole for domestic, for that height I don't see the point in spending over £15, anything higher then yes, and if you go gently on the clamps it will last years

EZclean

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:35 pm »
best tip for the harris: dont tighten the clamps. work with them loose and hold the hose at the bottom. it stays up. clean. then give it a tug and it flies down.
if you need it lowered an inch or two, just let the hose come out a bit.
to raise it a bit, 'throw' it up and release the hose.
with practice there's is nothing faster.

having said that i'm wanting to try a slx  ;)
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

Jackal

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 11:08:43 pm »
so are some of you using a harris for normal semi's upstairs windows or just downs, dont no how long these poles are  :-\

bobplum

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 11:35:35 pm »
they are 5mts long so with you holding them around 7mts  ???,have used Harris for three years now,did have a carbon fibre once,second hand,i must admit i prefer the Harris, i take the view if it breaks within a few hours i am back on the road and the cost is £15.00

jouk45

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 11:48:58 pm »
i  take the view if it breaks within a few hours i am back on the road and the cost is £15.00
thats the way i see it bob

bobby p

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 11:52:41 pm »
i just bought a harris for trad use and i came to thinking it was 15 quid same price as it was couple of yrs ago.  most prices rise but not the harris. my new one is wrapped in a thin sponge packaging but my old one had no wrapping.  the extra wrapping must add a tad to the factory cost . 15 quid is a very low price when you think of the high price of metal these days

i have never seen anybody painting with a harris, then again ive never seen anybody painting with a long pole anywhere

gary999

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 12:57:41 am »
put heatshrink on the bottom section no more cold
hands on aluminium and it looks good

jouk45

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 01:40:55 am »
even better gary, for 5ft extra heght,  ad a glassfibre pole section, no more cold hands and saftey from electric shocks,

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 09:58:28 am »
for small domestic the harris pole will be fine.

when you get some money together i would get a 25ft SLX if i were you.it will allow you to clean virtually all domestic small and large including 3rd floor windows and windows over deep connies with ease.no need to waste time swapping poles.

its awkward windows at full stretch where carbon fibre comes into its own!!! ;) ;D and i have a lot of them to clean day in/ day out on some parts of my round!! ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!