Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

Re: TM v portable
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Colin Day

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2011, 10:24:40 pm »
Well, I'm happy with my plastic buckets... Whenever it goes wrong (Which it hasn't) it costs a few hundred quid at most to fix with almost no down-time. With a TM or even if the van goes titz, you're out of work, out of pocket...

I'll still probably end up with a TM, but I'll be sure I know how to fix the thing myself before I do... ;)

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »
Tony,
Agreed. Shhhh, tho, you'll upset the other people, you know the ones with plastic buckets with motors attached to them ;) ;D

You leave my sucking dustbin alone you bully ;D
It's not pretty but I love it and anyway the customer can't see it. :D

petermaybury

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2011, 11:49:17 pm »
sorry but am too busy to watch the forum all the time! I was hoping that somebody would pick me up on the claim to voltage to h.p. it is possible to do with heat ressistant cables and the blue plugs but because of constant load ampage you could not get a manufacturer to supply such a beast what I was trying to emphasise is that the two trouckmounts and portables are incomparable. Those of us that have the two can be made too use the portable and it is in no wat shape or form comparable to a truckmount. The recent advance that manufacturers have made in vacuums and constant feeds were something that a lot of us in the industry were doing 20 years ago. The difference between the theoretical portable at the top end of the portable market (4hp) is not comparable to the bottom end of the truckmount market(20 hp). You can go anywhere further down the portable market to get further away from the upper end of the truckmount market. You actually need to see the two side by side to see that they are incomparable.
Do not make your van into a dedicated carpet cleaning vehicle ( people might mistake you for a professional)
Take note of the machine salesmen they know it all...........
The prowler will not give you the best of both worlds as you will have an underpowered truckmount that you cannot push very far or take up any stair cases or slopes.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

john martin

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:49 pm »
sorry but am too busy to watch the forum all the time! I was hoping that somebody would pick me up on the claim to voltage to h.p. it is possible to do with heat ressistant cables and the blue plugs but because of constant load ampage you could not get a manufacturer to supply such a beast what I was trying to emphasise is that the two trouckmounts and portables are incomparable. Those of us that have the two can be made too use the portable and it is in no wat shape or form comparable to a truckmount. The recent advance that manufacturers have made in vacuums and constant feeds were something that a lot of us in the industry were doing 20 years ago. The difference between the theoretical portable at the top end of the portable market (4hp) is not comparable to the bottom end of the truckmount market(20 hp). You can go anywhere further down the portable market to get further away from the upper end of the truckmount market. You actually need to see the two side by side to see that they are incomparable.
Do not make your van into a dedicated carpet cleaning vehicle ( people might mistake you for a professional)
The prowler will not give you the best of both worlds as you will have an underpowered truckmount that you cannot push very far or take up any stair cases or slopes.

Peter

your theoretical  top end portable is not limited to 4 HP ( which would be a 3000w twinvac)    neither should you need special wires or plugs , As best practice you should be using 2.5 mm wire for high power applications ,and neither is it a constant load in general use .
There is no reason why you cannot have, for eg, a quad vac (8HP ) running on two cords on two house circuits ...
the reason quad vacs and even triple vacs are not as popular has more to do with production costs and practical design than electrical issues ..

The recent advance that manufacturers have made in vacuums and constant feeds were something that a lot of us in the industry were doing 20 years ago

Can you explain the above statement  :)

As far the Prowler not been ' the best of both worlds'  im sure you could argue a case for its strengths ...  no cords ... onboard heat  ...fairly low cost  , actually some here have spent almost as much on a Jag and a hot powerwasher ... and still dont have near as much performance  ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2011, 09:33:48 pm »

Peter

your theoretical  top end portable is not limited to 4 HP ( which would be a 3000w twinvac)    neither should you need special wires or plugs , As best practice you should be using 2.5 mm wire for high power applications ,and neither is it a constant load in general use .
There is no reason why you cannot have, for eg, a quad vac (8HP ) running on two cords on two house circuits ...
the reason quad vacs and even triple vacs are not as popular has more to do with production costs and practical design than electrical issues ..

The recent advance that manufacturers have made in vacuums and constant feeds were something that a lot of us in the industry were doing 20 years ago

Can you explain the above statement  :)

As far the Prowler not been ' the best of both worlds'  im sure you could argue a case for its strengths ...  no cords ... onboard heat  ...fairly low cost  , actually some here have spent almost as much on a Jag and a hot powerwasher ... and still dont have near as much performance  ;D

My Jag and Zeta are getting results that are wowing my customers, especially the regulars. One I did yesterday at a Chinese restaurant said "How comes it's only taken you an hour? It's always taken you at least 2 hours in the past.." I explained it's probably because there's no filling and emptying, the heat of the water is cutting through the grease better and because the SPM does a better job than the PB I used on all previous jobs.... ;)

To top it off, the carpets were touch dry on my departure....

The TM I would like is £17k, my set up was sub £4k... You do the math :P

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2011, 09:48:48 pm »
When you get more work reguarly you'll find that the amount of time you spend on 'machine movement' becomes expensive compared to your math believe me I have had the same thoughts myself if a TM was expensive compared I would have gotten rid of mine by now.

Shaun

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 09:57:21 pm »
I do a night club carpet twice a year, scorpion with inline heater took 5 hrs,
16hp TM did it in 3 1/2
my new Maxx470 does it in 2 1/2 hrs

Andrew

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:43 pm »
Bloody Amateur!

Shaun

peter maybury

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 10:59:28 pm »
A lot of people are missing the point. Most truckmounters were where the people that have been in the industry for a few years a long time ago. I used to have these ill informed opinions of truckmounts that I had never had any experience of.
I started and used portables for years and moved on but at the time I thought that I had good equipment. The veiws that I had about truckmounts were veiws that were made talking to other people with portables. It was not until I saw 2 people doing with a truckmount what I was doing with 5 portables on site and paying 5 peoples wages. that the penny finally dropped. As for advances in vacuum there has not been a lot most are still using thbe same ametek motors that were around 30 years ago. Constant feed is fine if the connection is outside and what you are feeding is outside and there is not any joints or weak places that are inside. I thought that I could configure something better than other but the reality it that the money in the industry is where the truckmounts are.
What ever arguments you come up against the truckmount is the ultimately designed machine for doing the job. It is the system that the majors customers in the industry use. In the last few years technology in truckmounts has moved further forward than portable machines. The latest machine are giving far more perfomance to h.p.  are a lot less complex electrically and more economical to run. As for the techy side have had a hard day and will have a look tomorrow if time permits...........

Peter

ian harper

Re: TM v portable New
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 10:42:54 am »
Guys

Jim_77

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2011, 09:05:44 pm »
Ian, what an utter pile of crap.

Just goes to show, customers will believe anything!

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »
I agree with Ian because I believe in applying logic to the physics which is what that is.
Which leads me onto:
What is the difference between unethical and ethical advertising? Unethical advertising uses falsehoods to deceive the public; ethical advertising uses truth to deceive the public.

Mr Dvae

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:54 am »
What about the health angle, i switched to t/mount because of the possible ::) long term health implications of portable machines.

Dave

mike roberts

« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2011, 06:38:54 am »
What about the health angle, i switched to t/mount because of the possible ::) long term health implications of portable machines.

Dave

What  ??? ???

ian harper

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2011, 06:44:27 am »
Neil

ian harper

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2011, 06:40:25 am »
Jim

Jim_77

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »
Where did I say that?

andrew christopher

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2011, 03:07:42 pm »
I don't think the prowler is under powered. For the majority of work it is plenty powerful enough. I use mine for mainly domestic and the odd pub and office if not low profile and find it delivers all i need. For large commercial i usually bonnet.

The great plus i think the prowler has is the ease of maintenance and low running costs. If the machine needs any work doing on it, take it out the van and its easy access to parts.

I hook mine up to a 500ltr tank in the van, use a hydro force sprayer and i think i have a great set up for the type of work i do.

If you need to run dual operator , massively long hose runs, do cruise ships, minging night clubs then you you may need something more.

I know john used a prowler for flood and fire work.

The back up with the prowler is second to none as well.