Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jasonl

I hope this helps some new people / struggling established operators.

1)   You need customers to actually clean first - practically no carpet cleaning knowledge is needed to obtain these.

2) you need good quality reliable equipment and chemicals and a decent reliable vehicle - again , not a lot of carpet cleaning knowledge is required.

3)  You need to have funds available to weather the hard times- again no carpet cleaning knowledge required.

4)  In the past 20 years , I have used my carpet cleaning and very low cost extra equipment to make more revenue from add on services than I have from carpet cleaning , these include ,,,, Fire and flood restoration , pressure washing , grafitti removal, laundry, window cleaning , biohazard cleaning , upholstery cleaning , builders cleans.

5) The very best/ most profitable work comes from  untraditonal sources , and talking /opening your mouth at the right time, that housewife you are dealing with has a husband who owns a restaurant that needs all the chairs cleaning.

6) Giving something away free  is the best investment , spotters, a rug clean , a bathroom carpet clean, advice, a fridge magnet,it does not matter I always give something away , I remember hearing Robert Harris the Chem-dry founder saying this during a conference once , and thinking he was mad , 3 months later he sold his company for over $100 million.

7)  Telling the customer that if there are any problems to call you back , they very rarely do , but telling them they can breeds confidence and trust.

8)  Clean carpets honestly and as thoroughly as you can - unfortunately  you ned training and common sense to do this , and most do.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

AshWhite

Excellent post
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

clinton

Very true with that chem dry part in your paost jason.

Paul Moss

Jason, excellent and well thought post. But you would have been a lot richer if you had sussed this out a few more years earlier ;)

Robin Ray

Very good post!

Your right Its all about trust, once you have that you can offer people anything and they will keep coming back for more.

robert meldrum

Excellent post Jason with no bull***t or daft claims.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

Great post Jason.

For me, trust is everything - I have repeat clients who leave me keys and blank signed cheques.

Once trust is established, price ceases to be an issue and referrals come naturally.

BUT, this does not happen over night - you can have the best equipment money can buy but without clients it's meaningless - marketing is everything in this business and that is where you need to allocate the most funds.

Chris Hawkes

Without customers there is no business, simple as that.  Unless you have a list from another business you can market to then every customer will be a new customer.  I'm sure there are numerous figures out there detailing the cost of finding a new customer rather than selling to an existing one.

Without being able to both fund initial kit purchases and cashflow from another business I dread to think how hard it would be to start up at the moment.  I guess I would have just had to work much harder, pounding the streets posting leaflets (not that I didn't do that anyway), and using any means necessary
to drum up business.

Great post by the way Jason and applicable to all business, not just carpet cleaning.

Chris

M.Acorn

Good post !! And 8 years down the line I have to agree
What goes around comes around

Shaun_Ashmore

Years ago many CD owners were ex sales reps a 2 weeks carpet cleaning course then they were off but the they had a great start as they knew how to sell.

Shaun

jasonl

And another thing , it is always a good idea to be careful who you marry  , 3 divorces are very expensive .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

gary hall

The only thing in life that is rocket science is -------- rocket science !!!

mark_roberts

All good comments.  Id add that a nice personality and a smile go a long way too.

Id say to powerwash etc takes a bit more than a little extra investment in equipment unless you bought a 3000psi TM.

Mark

Helen

And another thing , it is always a good idea to be careful who you marry  , 3 divorces are very expensive .

You are a slow learner indeed ;) don't do it again :)

Phillip Mold

I love this job sometimes, out of the house at 8.45, job done, home and showered for 1.00 pm, £200 cash, happy customer.

No, to pub or not to pub?
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

Ricky M

save it ! save it ! save it !! , then when ur dead ur kids will spunk it on crap and shiny things  :) :)
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

wynne jones

save it ! save it ! save it !! , then when ur dead ur kids will spunk it on crap and shiny things  :) :)

LOL Ain't that the truth.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Shaun_Ashmore

I'm taking it with me........if I had any!

Shaun

Dennis

I spend 80% of mine on wine, women and song. I just waste the rest.  ;D

Phil Taylor

It's all about getting the phone to ring  :-\