This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cozy

Re: How the big boys work so cheaply
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
We used to do chain stores back in the 90's. Also got the MOD contract for all the barracks within a 100 mile radius. Was a good deal. The Army's number crunchers measured both sides of a window and came up with twice the square meters!! Everything is reckoned in area to clean, so a standard price on the bid and we were laughing. Kept that contract for a few years, then some huge firm called ISS from Sweden put a stupid bid in one day and got the job of course. It was pennies compared to our price and they kept the contract for at least ten years or more.

Nobody, in such a big organisation like the MOD or national banks etc really gives a toss about windows being dirty. It's just another box to be ticked by some "Manager" that is checked by some other "Manager" somewhere in "Management".

LJ Thorpe sees it like I do. Safety in numbers. Losing one or two hundred quid jobs hurts, losing one or two twelve quid jobs is easy to replace.

If you are ambitious like some of the guys on here, then it can be a problem building an empire and losing some of it. For blokes like me, I couldn't give a toss if I lose the odd shop here and there. They are all over the place. Just get out and chase the work if you want to work on national chains. People like me and LJ Thorpe will pick up the slack. ( That's only an example, not meant as written) I won't be picking up any slack, as I'm not in UK.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »
We used to do chain stores back in the 90's. Also got the MOD contract for all the barracks within a 100 mile radius. Was a good deal. The Army's number crunchers measured both sides of a window and came up with twice the square meters!! Everything is reckoned in area to clean, so a standard price on the bid and we were laughing. Kept that contract for a few years, then some huge firm called ISS from Sweden put a stupid bid in one day and got the job of course. It was pennies compared to our price and they kept the contract for at least ten years or more.

Nobody, in such a big organisation like the MOD or national banks etc really gives a toss about windows being dirty. It's just another box to be ticked by some "Manager" that is checked by some other "Manager" somewhere in "Management".

LJ Thorpe sees it like I do. Safety in numbers. Losing one or two hundred quid jobs hurts, losing one or two twelve quid jobs is easy to replace.

If you are ambitious like some of the guys on here, then it can be a problem building an empire and losing some of it. For blokes like me, I couldn't give a toss if I lose the odd shop here and there. They are all over the place. Just get out and chase the work if you want to work on national chains. People like me and LJ Thorpe will pick up the slack. ( That's only an example, not meant as written) I won't be picking up any slack, as I'm not in UK.
cock on mate could not have put it better........obviously or i would have already!

H2GoKent

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 09:23:57 pm »
The above two comments are very wise.

When a had a couple of bigger contracts, I always used to add up my other work to be sure that if I lost my biggies I could still pay my way. Because if you rely on 2 or 3 contracts you can be up a certain place without a paddle!

And lo and behold I have a few largish jobs in the lost couple of years.

Spread your risk
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Mike_G

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »
I agree with what you are saying so far as the houses are concerned and if I lost all my commercial work I would still have a very comfortable living but I do shops etc so I can earn regardless of weather etc and be earning at 5 in the morning and not waiting til 8.30 to start earning.

Lets imagine somebody offers you say one shop five days a week for an hours work a day at lets says a thousand pounds a month would you turn it down? And if you wouldn't at somepoint no matter how many houses you clean you'd miss that money if it went, you just get used to earning it

Mike_G

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:30 pm »
The above two comments are very wise.

When a had a couple of bigger contracts, I always used to add up my other work to be sure that if I lost my biggies I could still pay my way. Because if you rely on 2 or 3 contracts you can be up a certain place without a paddle!

And lo and behold I have a few largish jobs in the lost couple of years.

Spread your risk

So how did you feel when you lost those bigger jobs? Not great I would think. I've lost some decent sized ones in the past and it makes no difference to me if its £300 or £3 I dont like it!

G Griffin

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 09:35:14 pm »
Good points, Mike. You`re not going to turn it down, just in case you lose it. Earn it while you can.
But there was always a chance it was going to happen. Cleaning windows isn`t as important to others as it is to us.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

H2GoKent

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:20 pm »
I felt annoyed of course.
One for £800 a month went entirely and one for £1000 a month went down to £300 all in the space of 18 months. Along with other bits and pieces

Go for the comm work if you want but don't rely on it was the thrust of my comments I thought.
I still have a fair amount of comm work and as you say I can start v early on it and do it regardless of the weather.
But eggs in one basket etc etc etc.
Earn it while you can but don't rely on it being there in 6 months, cos that's not how business works is it.
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

G Griffin

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
You`re both right!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

mci services

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »
I lose a national shop this week, that is done by a national contractor, not because of change of contract but because of the store closing down, I am not bothered, from that job I have picked up three other local shops, and while everyone keeps saying it is all about price sometimes it isn't, the guy that that done this store before it went national was getting £40 every 4 weeks, I subbed it and was getting £56 per 4 weeks :D hey it is a small hit but now I am on that street twice a week and ready to approach whoever moves in to this store and see if I can pick it up again.

I like my commercial because I earn regardless of weather, although only a small part is retail, most is offices etc

Your Choice w/c

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »
Anybody know what these national companies pay their employees?

George P

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »

probably min wage

mci services

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:52 pm »

probably min wage

not at all, the guys for mitie are on a decent wage, at least good guys are

George P

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »
talking of the big boys, a year or 2 ago we were working on norwivh union, we were all dressed in smart uniform when one of the big companies guy turns up - dressed scruffily and no uniform, i thought  that was probably a one off but security said it wasnt,

macleod

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:46 am »
if there was a tv  say £100 cheaper in currys than any were else are you saying you would rather pay more so that you win a "morale victory " against currys changing window cleaners?

ronnie I do respect you as a long time contributor, and Im sure you will be the first to agree that the scenario you give is very unlikely - but to answer your question, no I would not buy from Currys ever again (and haven't in 7 years) and thanks to the internet you can always find the TV you want from another supplier.

It is a victory.

Pope vader

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 03:49:56 am »

probably min wage
a lot of the national companies sub the jobs out and get you to wear a t shirt of theres and pretend that you work for them,  

the people who come on here moaning about the nationals are probably the ones who are sending emails, offering there services

Mike_G

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 01:59:26 pm »

probably min wage
a lot of the national companies sub the jobs out and get you to wear a t shirt of theres and pretend that you work for them,  

the people who come on here moaning about the nationals are probably the ones who are sending emails, offering there services

If there was a like button on here I would of pressed it for that comment, very true I reckon.

johnd

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 02:47:35 pm »

probably min wage

The main National companies only sub out work if it is in a hard to reach area in the middle of no where they have their own operatives.

Most of the big boys are on around £8-£9 per hour for a basic window cleaner

But since the recession etc.... this has come down to minimum wage or around £7 because they know people want jobs!!

But in saying that if you pay s*?t you will get the same in output of work

These are my views as I have worked with the Nationals for over 13 years and know how they work im going to go it alone and get my own work because the way people are treated nowadays off these companies is ridiculous and I was a senior figure in the game also.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »
interserve paid the lads £5.50 per shop in/out on the William Hills they charged £9.50 per shop per week .
Spit and polish

johnd

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »
interserve paid the lads £5.50 per shop in/out on the William Hills they charged £9.50 per shop per week .

Interserve pay £7.02 per hour and they used to pay £5 per extra William Hill completed but they no longer do this because Boots has gone from weekly to fortnightly.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 04:18:34 pm »

probably min wage

ha so thats how you get the big jobs! contact the nationals and become a subby! i know its probably obvious but im blonde! sorry and thanks ;D