Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derek west

write up on fleas
« on: June 11, 2011, 02:25:43 pm »
anyone got a write up on fleas and the procedure for killing them etc... thats copyright free so i can cut and paste it?

Re: write up on fleas
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »
Sure I've got something somewhere, maybe on the main pc or disc so will have a look when I'm home again.

jon barnes

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »
Hi derek
Try John Kelly at Restormate. When we purchased their insecticide when had some usful printed info on bugs
Terry

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:19:13 pm »
This site will allow you to use it's content
http://www.getridoffleas.org.uk/get_rid_of_fleas_in_carpet.htm

derek west

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:32:12 pm »
cheers neil, some stuff i can cut and paste in there,

cheers jon, i'll give jk a ring on tuesday, (monday is manic) ive got some of his insectacide so i'm sure he won't mind.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:08:26 pm »
(Posted on another forum from 2004 so I presume there's no copyright)

To rid a property of fleas is not quite as simple as it might seem especially to the customer who just thinks its a case of spraying the dog/cat and thats it.

If you see the fleas in there grown state then that means that you are only seeing about 2% of what is actually present in the home.

The customer needs some convincing of this and montitoring the situation over a period of time is called for.

If its a dog or cat infestation I ask the client to lay a white sheet down and get the animal to lie on it for at least ten minutes that usualy does the trick.Once they see the little buggers hoping around all over the place they are usually convinced they need some major work.

Fleas can lay dormant for many years and the way to activate them is by vibration so get hoovering and give it a major hoover to remove any larvae that may be present.Pay particular attention to areas around the edge of the room and the area where the pet lies.

Then HWE extract the carpet or some other similar system at high temperature, I know some of you have already said that this can help stimulate further flea activity, thats great and just what you want to rid the home properly of all fleas,larvae etc.

A recall will be required in a few days to apply Boric Acid powder to the carpet and to brush it in completley (you can use your Sebo for this).Customer can vacuum as normal after 48 hrs

It will still take 1-2 weeks for the infestation to completly clear but this should do the trick if not apply more Boric Acid and repeat brushing in.

I have found this system to work to customers complete satisfaction but can be costly so explain this first.
----------------------------------------------
The main problem I have found with fleas is when the pet moves out.

The fleas now have nowhere to go so they pick on poor humans

If the house is empty for a while the fleas will die but their eggs will remain dormant.These will hatch when they feel vibration i.e people/animals walking on the carpet.

If your customer looks after her pet there should not be any fleas and if you decide to take on the job, HWE then use  25 % w/w permethrin based flea killer , which should be sprayed around the edges of the carpet and left.
Obviously make sure no babies are going to be crawling on the  carpet in next few days.

The important point to make is that although the customer may think there are no fleas their pet may have them.When there is no pet the problems start.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Bear in mind also that in the case of fleas, a single application is not normaly sufficient as most insecticides will not harm the eggs - so it needs to be re-applied after any eggs have hatched -twice the chance of something going wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I insist that any pet be treated at the beginning of the carpet treatment.

I further stipulate that cats are  not allowed out until the treatment is complete.

For the benefit of those not in the know, boric acid is effective against the lava, but not against the eggs. A pet can bring in adult fleas and their eggs and since the normal incubation period is 10-14 days much of the acid powder could be removed from the carpet by the time the re-introduced eggs hatch.

peter maybury

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 09:26:54 pm »
I am fed up with saying this but there is so much misinformation in the information in the previous posts and also the website that is linked .
It is a major problem in the pest control industry. Although you can buy over the counter remedies etc once you start applying these products you are bound by the legislation that exists because you become professionals.
You would be better joining pest control bodies and not carpet cleaning bodiies in order to get your information. You are also giving this misinformation to other individuals.  The  the b.p.c.a or the http://www.rsph.org.uk/ are good sources for training in the subject. The internet is a fantastic source of information but there is also a lot of rubbish and sometimes you need a little education in order to tell the difference. Never argue with a fool people may not be able to tell the difference.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter
www.fleascardiff.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:40 pm »
Well as you know so much about it why didn't you chirp up earlier.
Some of the comments I copied and pasted came from people who have forgotten more about what is in our carpet than most of us could ever hope to learn.

wynne jones

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:06:14 am »
Well I sort of agree with Peter. I've never quite understood why people equate carpet cleaners to pest controllers anyway. Probably because they saw them on the carpet and... we are cheaper I guess.

I've taken my fair share of cash from 'flea treatment' but now I feel we are somewhat conning the public and ourselves unless we are prepared to go the whole hog.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Ricky M

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:48 pm »
Ozone Generator will do the job, just remember the 3 Ps or you will be screwed but who ever sells you 1 will walk you through proceeding in the right manor . 
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

BDCS

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 06:21:46 pm »
What are the 3 P's - I have an ozone generator and don't seem to know what they are ? I have a bit of pest training and presently use tenopa

Ricky M

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:48 am »
people plants and pets
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??