This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

woody1

when to employ
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »
looking to expand my buissness i have about £1300 every 4 weeks do i do it when i am rammed or employ now and just canvass like crazy any idea

Pope vader

Re: when to employ
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »
when u are 90% full,  employ some one and then knock like hell

woody1

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »
thanks

bobby p

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:04:52 pm »
i took on 2 parttimers and am VERY glad i did. soon as 1 starts becoming a messer ,the other can step up a gear to carry me over till ive got a new one.  im on my 5 th  lad in 18 weeks

Ian101

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:41:48 pm »
i rekon the time to employ is when ur constantly 2 weeks behind

LWC

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:46:10 pm »
I know people are against it here of talking figures. But figures would be nice to be discussed as to when you think you should have one person 2 people .... is £2k a month right to be taking people out etc. What do you think?

Ive got what i consider a big round and i manage most of it with 2 of us, but am usually behind, not sure about another person tho.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 04:51:44 pm »
I'm at 3k turnover and just on the point of taking on someone.
It's a game of three halves!

mark311069

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »
i have £2200 domestic done every 5 weeks and £1000 comercial every month and am getting to far behind(domestic now at 7weeks) so i think its time i got some help. what do you guys pay per hour, iam in the midlands

g.brookes

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:27:22 pm »
i used to work in nottingham round southwell area and i got paid £50 a day.  that went up to 55 when i was up to speed, and i'd get 60 if we'd had a good day.  This was nearly 2 years ago.  i was a student at the time and i thought the pay was great.  it was really important that i knew i'd get paid more if i worked really hard though, otherwise theres no incentive.  i only ever did downstairs though, he said if i did the ladders he'd pay me 70-80 a day but i didnt want to

LWC

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 07:32:09 pm »
£60 a day is £7.50 a hour, have a look around at other jobs and see if they pay that much, i stil think £60 a day is good money.

bobby p

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:37:32 pm »
i pay £7 per hour. as it happens both my workers love ladders and before i found them were spending their days climbing trees

i prefer them cleaning downstairs though as its far harder work there. they work alternate days and i let them do a bit on the ladders on the afters. before i took them on i was fearing that getting insurance for laddermen  would be tricky/very pricey  but it wasnt so bad

wpclean

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »
I think before considering  employing people you have to be good at organising and motivating people, and obviously you have to be able to make a fair profit for the effort.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »
We have 6 window cleaners now, it's a big decision as to when to bite the bullet and employ, personnally I think the key is when you start falling behind with work. 

If you fall behind then you have lost that money, you can't go and clean a house twice to catch up.  Take someone on on a trial basis, either pay them wholly on what they do or pay them a basic plus a percentage of work done.

My guys are on a basic plus a 3 monthly bonus.  Two guys working together will generally be able to do more than two guys working on their own, teams of three don't work.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50:51 pm »
I think before considering  employing people you have to be good at organising and motivating people, and obviously you have to be able to make a fair profit for the effort.

thumbs up

Helen

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 10:13:24 pm »
looking to expand my buissness i have about £1300 every 4 weeks do i do it when i am rammed or employ now and just canvass like crazy any idea

In all honesty the figure you have given doesn't warrant taking somone on. When you do £1300 every week, which is achievable, then think about a part timer at first. :)

Sean Dyer

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 10:17:22 pm »

In all honesty the figure you have given doesn't warrant taking somone on. When you do £1300 every week, which is achievable, then think about a part timer at first. :)

Thats what i thought but didnt really want to rock the boat

I reckon from about 1k a week you need help to expand as fitting in canvassing and new cleans gets hard without running behind

However you have to know that you want staff, and why you want them

If you are just struggling to manage a round you probably need to look at your work, and when you work rather than just give a wage to someone to not run behind, as even if you catch up the extra money is gone... plus you have more responsibility to an employee, try refine your round and maximise its potential yourself first , then think about what you hope to accomplish by taking on staff

mikecam

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 12:33:09 am »
To be blunt you need to get a grip and stop dreaming. £1300 a month is not a business, its bareley a wage.
Going by this post......http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=87400.msg781115#msg781115
You've been going about five years and are a quick worker.Whats gone wrong?

mikecam

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 12:36:48 am »
i pay £7 per hour. as it happens both my workers love ladders and before i found them were spending their days climbing trees

I've done this too. I used to whistle and spread out nuts on the floor to attract them. Some of the best workers are bareley literate,numerate or comunicative. As long as you can convey what you want them to do they can get on and do a good job without any fuss. Do they have big red/purple arses and sharp teeth?

woody1

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 07:57:35 am »
just to let you know my round was a lot bigger as worked with the old man we went our separte ways i took just enough custys keep me going and just a point i just want to m,anage and get out canvassing while some one works for me its not because i am full

Helen

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 12:32:53 pm »
Ok, but you still only bring in £325 per week at the moment. Nobody is knocking you for wanting to expand, but £325 should be achievable for you only in 2 days easily, leaving the rest of the week for canvassing.
How are you going to fund a business, pay staff and yourself on £325 per week? :)