Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark1

Re: price £££££ (Southerners charge too much)
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2004, 01:41:55 am »
[does it move concrete splash ??? ??? or just sealent.is a sharp blade and soapy water not just as good?]

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2004, 01:45:04 am »
Hi Mark
For concrete splash on windows you are better soaking the window and use a sharp scraper if you start rubbing in anything you could scratch the window.
Concrete is a bad on to get on windows because if rubbed the sand in it will scratch the glass.
So Loads of water and scraper.
For contrete on frames loads of water and gentel rub
Cheers
Alan

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2004, 01:50:10 am »
soapy water not just as good?

Sorry mark
the problem with sealant is that it can travel around the glass gets on yr cloths/scrims and spreads Oil-flo brakes it down so eliminating it.
Cheers
Alan

paul w

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2004, 01:59:16 am »
£3.50 do you want any moor work i would not clean the front door for that let alone get my ldders off my van
pane in the glASS

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2004, 02:08:02 am »
Hi Paul.
I have been following a few topics on pricing and it does show no area is the same prices do vary £3-£15 per 3 bed house. If your building a round then not everyone can be so choosey with the work they take up, Until the round is built up and better work has replaced the not so good stuff then it is a hard game. Then another way of looking at it if you have 2-3 days work and need another 2 days work to build yr week up that job is better then nothing and can lead to other things.
Cheers
Alan

STEVE71163

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2004, 09:31:38 pm »
£3.50 do you want any moor work i would not clean the front door for that let alone get my ldders off my van

Hi Paul
         What part of the country are you working in ??? because in some parts of the country that is the going rate but in those parts the cost of living tend to be a lot cheaper. In the Surrey where i live you would be pushed to find a three bedroomed semi for much under £300,000 so i guess i would need to charge more if i have a mortgage.

Steve

paul w

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2004, 03:39:44 am »
i do live in surrey and i do have a morgage may be thats why i charge so much ? but when i started and done houses i used to charge £5 min 18 years ago in middlesex /surrey area paul ::) ;D
pane in the glASS

STEVE71163

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2004, 09:37:33 am »
Hi Paul
         What is the average charge for a three bedroomed semi in your part of Surrey ???

Steve

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2004, 11:19:14 am »
I find from meeting window cleaners most days on demos their earnings an hour vary from as little as £12 an hour to £30 plus on conventional cleaning, they may vary a little on how quick they can clean but it really depends on what area of the country they live and work.

I dont think Southerners charge to much as the cost of labour,housing and living costs are much higher, just look at the cost of a pint of beer can vary in different areas.

You would be supprised how many waterfed poles are being used on domestic houses though!!!

Regards

Reuben

g_griffin

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2004, 03:05:45 pm »
Hi Paul.
I have been following a few topics on pricing and it does show no area is the same prices do vary £3-£15 per 3 bed house. If your building a round then not everyone can be so choosey with the work they take up, Until the round is built up and better work has replaced the not so good stuff then it is a hard game. Then another way of looking at it if you have 2-3 days work and need another 2 days work to build yr week up that job is better then nothing and can lead to other things

That`s an excellent point. I usually do my worst work when Ive finished everywhere else or have time. A days bad pay is better than nothing.

Gerry.

Cheers
Alan

g_griffin

« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2004, 03:22:43 pm »

Hi Paul.
I have been following a few topics on pricing and it does show no area is the same prices do vary £3-£15 per 3 bed house. If your building a round then not everyone can be so choosey with the work they take up, Until the round is built up and better work has replaced the not so good stuff then it is a hard game. Then another way of looking at it if you have 2-3 days work and need another 2 days work to build yr week up that job is better then nothing and can lead to other things.
Cheers
Alan

Sorry, that went wrong. It`s still an excellent point.

Gerry. :P

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2004, 03:31:34 pm »
Hi g_griffin
Glad we are on the same tracks
I think everyone dont matter how great the round is shill have not so good jobs.
I know I have a few and when they come around think I can't be bothered but still money, at the end of the day at no cost, just ladour.
Alan

g_griffin

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2004, 03:53:12 pm »
Alan,

You`re right. There will always be less attractive jobs.If you earn 50 pound an hour, would you not do a job at 40 pound per hour, even though you had time?

It`s easy to forget what it`s like when first starting out. There are some blokes on this forum with little or no work trying to get established and they can`t pick and choose their work.

Gerry.

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2004, 04:21:56 pm »
Hi g_griffin
Totally agree,
As much a forum like this is really good some info like pricing can be so wrong if they don’t do research first, then end up with nothing or a slow starting business.
Going out looking for £30-£40 per hr, not everyone is prepared to pay such an amount. I know that a lot of mine would tell me to sling my hook.
How about you?
Alan

g_griffin

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2004, 05:49:49 pm »
Alan,

My customers would definitely tell me to sling my hook and I don`t know any WC`s, locally,that charge that although I`d love too.

I think in certain areas people have a rough idea what to pay to have their windows cleaned so you have to  charge competitively.

I inherited someone elses prices so that didn`t help   and I suppose I`ve got complacent with what I charge as I have a lot of long standing customers (friends). Familiarity breeds content.

I`m not moaning though and I do agree that someone could read too much into what`s said on this site. I can imagine my customers reaction when I tell them the price is being trebled because thats what someone on a website supposedly charges.

Gerry.

fez

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2004, 05:49:50 pm »
For me, the balance lies between charging enough per job and working fast enough to maintain a reasonable hourly rate. Some days I fly along and earn loads, other days  I seem to be a lot slower despite trying to work fast.

g_griffin

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2004, 06:24:42 pm »

I don`t begrudge anyone earning 20/25 pound an hour and I don`t see how this can be "too much" if the customers are happy to pay it. Not everyone can charge this though and shouldn`t think they have too because they`ve read it on here. The same as everyone mustn`t think they should be doing 8 or 9 three bed roomed semis an hour.
       Where does it end? We might get some joker (again) telling us we should be aiming for 100 an hour at least.What would happen to our businesses if we did and then found out he was blagging.
       I`m thinking of those with little or no work. They may have no other source of income and have to take some "poorly" paid work. I know I did.
       So I don`t think it helps when people say " 3.50 I wouldn`t take my ladders off the roof for that."
        Not everyone is so fortunate.

Gerry.

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2004, 07:05:58 pm »
Hi g_griffin
Like talking to myself hearing yr points.
Another on here is the pricing of inside work x2-x3 the outsides.
Do you charge this?? I dont.
I see insides as a bonus easy work no ladders nice a warm, 9 times out of 10 tea waiting.
I see it, you go in their house as you would yr own, I carry slippers (mocasons) where ever I place my bucket lay clean scrim down, never any mess.
I cleaned a job last week inside and one room has all her nick nacks in, some very expensive. Never a problem though.
Things I always remember.
Bottom feet on ladder & bucket clean
ladder point covered up to save marks (just brought a bonnet their good)
where slippers.
Never had any probs when following these.

How about you
Alan

g_griffin

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2004, 08:03:05 pm »
Alan ,

Unfortunately I don`t do many insides but I don`t charge x2 or x3 if I do. I usually charge the same as outside plus a bit extra depending on the job.
    As you say it`s much easier- warmer,drier and no climbing (I`m tall so no ladder,maybe step if needed).
     I would gladly do all my customers inside and outside windows for double the price of just outside.Think of all the extra money when it`s raining.
    Perhaps I shouldn`t mention this on here but I`ve done the odd kitchen window for free whilst getting clean water or having a cup of tea. :o

Gerry.

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2004, 08:26:06 pm »
Hi g_griffin
the same as you I do the kitchen ones quite a few dont hurt can be a nightmare to the customer if they have not got the right gear.
Keeps up customer relations hay
Thats my only problem as only being 5.5ish ladder goes every where or steps
Alan