This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tom2009

Re: Give Up or not
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 06:44:51 pm »
I don't think you should even ask the question until you've knocked at least 1000 doors or put out several thousand leaflets.

wezzy32

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 06:45:35 pm »
i started last feb bought a small round and iv built on that with some door knocking my self and my m8 canvassing for me. its hard but iv enjoyed the last 11months
keep on smiling

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:24 pm »
i am interested to know what you expected. you started in september and are getting new customers with referals. have you been knocking, i am wondering where you thought you would be in 4 months.

When i decided to take the leap, i had researched for around 2yrs & there were (at the time) a serious lack of w/c in my area. I expected to gain around 140 - 200 customers in around 6 months.
I know there probably has not been a worse time (weather & cut backs) to start up, but heyho
- thanks to all for the good advice & encouragement - i will be out tomorrow hunting down the other 100 customers.

Mark Farrimond

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:00 pm »
I'm not a window cleaner so I apologise if this is a stupi idea but when you are knocking if a custy isn't in could you not stick a card through with a quote on it? Do you need to speak to them to give a quote? A fascia board fitter did it for me last me last week, thought it was quite clever.

Or do you do this anyway?

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »
Do it anyway.  Not going to hurt, and saves you going back.  I always drop a card in at any opportunity.

Richard Neal

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 10:56:59 pm »
Dont give up, sounds like youve made a good start but you cant start and expect to live off of it immediately, try and do a part time job as well until the round builds up some more, if youve kept going through this winter youre doing ok! A lot of us have been struggling the last few months.
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

alanwilson

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »
I remember when I started up - I canvassed my ahhhsss off, between 50 and 80 hours a week, then as the customers came in I cleaned them and continued to canvass.  It was basically 12 hrs a day, 5 or 6 days a week.

As I got busier I had to change direction, I couldn't keep up so I took on my son, still working 60 hrs a week mix of cleaning and canvassing.  As more and more commercial came in I sold off some domestic work as I knew I wanted to employ and prefer commercial for employing.

Allow yourself a year to build a half decent business, and I do mean, Half decent, but only if you work your butt off
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Mark Farrimond

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 09:09:44 am »
Not sure if this is any use but these men have just started to follow us on Twitter.  Wondered if they'd be any use to you.

http://windowroundsolutions.blogspot.com/

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 05:19:07 pm »
still a bit shocked by this post. in 4 months he has picked up new customers. i am not sure what other method he is using but he hasnt asked about any other method of marketing on here. the last months of the year i find are not the best for getting new customers, concidring decembers weather
work does not land on your doorstep there is loads out there, but i have found lately that people think the can earn big money straight away and give up before thay can develop a business

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 05:30:18 pm »
its crazy to give up now mate the spring is a coming and its the best canvassing months jan and feb go knock those doors and take some leaflets target main roads there will be loads of dirty windows there

Mark Farrimond

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 05:44:05 pm »
Again, this may be another stupid idea but when people move house they probably have no idea who does the windows in their new street until they bump into a window cleaner who is canvassing or when you are working, which is more difficult cos the homeowner is probably out at work when you are in their street. 

I know there are fewer people moving house at present but still plenty.  Would it not be worth looking on something like www.houseprices.co.uk and registering to receive updates on a postcode area?  You will find out all new house owners (i think within a month of completion) and then nip round? 

Again, I'm not a window cleaner but when i moved last year I couldnt find a window cleaner for a month with being at work and moving around Christmas I had other things to do first.  He knocked one night and said " i used to clean the windows for the people who lived he before, can I do them for you".  Course he could.

david thomas

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 06:31:03 pm »
ten years ago I started my round all trad work so much work back then not many wc's to what there is today I've now been wfp fo past 4 years. wfp is easy to do conpairing trad thats why so many more people are starting up

g newton

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 06:58:39 pm »
i started in november have built my round purely on knocking and leafleting

picking up on average between 5-8 new customers a week using this method

ive taken on another job as well which helps cover the bills until i get to a point where i have a full round

just keep at but look at some other way at making a few bob whilst your building your round