This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

LloydEarle

advice on buying a ladder
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:55:13 pm »

Hi all

im looking to start window cleaning as a part time job and i wanted some advice on what sort of ladder to buy?

i have been looking at a few and i would like someones professional opinions on one i found or which one i should get.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Professional-Multi-Purpose-Ladder/invt/530198

alfynokes

Re: advice on buying a ladder
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:15:31 pm »
If you're going to work with ladders then you need trade ones with D rungs. I use Titan ladders or Lyte ladders. Square and round rungs are bad for your legs if you're using them all day, so that would rule out those ladders on your link for a start for me.

Hope this helps :)   

LloydEarle

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »
thank you

what is better a pointer or just a standard ladder or doesnt it matter.

Also what is a good height for a ladder?

tacky

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:01 pm »
titan 3.5 double good all rounder

dave carroll

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:07:15 am »
get a pointer, and you'll want one 2ft bigger than you buy.  ;D
                 dave

Rick Ward

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:54:07 am »
you need a good selection of ladders for different jobs

VSP Home Care

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:16 pm »
I'm in the same boat here, just starting and pondering over what to buy.  I was thinking about going for a two or three stage and a double A.

Cheers for the tip on rungs, I hadn't thought about that.

Mike_G

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:20:58 pm »
I got a triple from midland ladder but thats because it fits better on my van but do yourself a favour and look at these and make sure you get one with the supagrip feet fitted.

http://www.midlandladders.com/catalog/TITAN_Trade_Industrial_Ladders-7-1.html

bobby p

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:44:01 am »
personally i like the Youngman 9 rung double ladder that is sold in Wickes. its a domestic ladder but very well made and doesnt flex but is light on the shoulder

i also have a triple 10 rung 3.0 metre TRADE (lyte make )and even when i use  just the first 2 sections i hate that ladder as its far too heavy  . though i like using it for the high jobs as it feels safe

another ladder i rate highly is the 7 rung triple 2.0 metre sold in BnQ . It has the best rungs of them all,so very comfy to use all day

Sean Dyer

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:37:45 pm »
for 3.5 m trade d rung on soap national its around 105 - 110 was looking last night as need one my self

you can pay less but they will be flimsy diy ladders, worth spending the money , it will earn you plenty back over the few years you have it, they last a while especially when you start out as you dont use them so much, once your full time they last a few years, so worth spending a few quid, i put decent spikes on mine too, saves the bottoms wearing and find them safer over all

ScrimShady

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 07:13:22 pm »
if your after some ladders i have a set of these...   http://www.midlandladders.com/products/Triple_2_5m_8ft2_Trade_Light_Industrial_Ladder-21-7.html
if your interested make me a offer. they are new and i think i have only used them twice..

LloydEarle

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 06:52:35 pm »
i ended up getting a 10ft double extention pointer and a single 6ft pointer. i used them the first time the other day and they are good as i can get the point in the coners and make some good pitches.

now i am stuck with leaflets. i have tried to knock up some my self but they look so bad, like a child made them.

has anybody got any advice on what to put on a leaflet or how to lay it out or even the size.

Many thanks

dave f

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 03:38:00 pm »
first thing i would say is first invest in ladder training then see if you want to do trad ive seen a few of my pals with bad injries just because the could not be ar$$$d doining it the right way . ive done trad a few years and just swaped over to wfp it was the best thing ive done plus pice of mind but i still do the odd house but im still on gard best of luck

LloydEarle

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:12 pm »
i have had some ladder training, im a fireman  :) thanks for the advice tho

LloydEarle

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:03:44 pm »
its a bit more training than that. but i know what you mean it isnt the same. i will be ok on that front. thank you

bobby p

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 08:49:56 pm »
personally i like the Youngman 9 rung double ladder that is sold in Wickes. its a domestic ladder but very well made and doesnt flex but is light on the shoulder

does that have d rungs
no-square rungs- thats a bit of a downer as i would prefer D rungs but ive  had no problems with my feet on the square rungs.

Rick Ward

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »
firemen: yeh sleeping on the job and then taking someone else's during the day

alfynokes

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 05:33:06 pm »
i used to use square rungs but after using d rungs i would never go back to them

same here. Unfortunately same with round rungs now so that rules out pointers as well. Good job I made my own pointer with 3 inch rungs happy feet!

bobby p

Re: advice on buying a ladder New
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 06:55:23 am »
i used to use square rungs but after using d rungs i would never go back to them

same here. Unfortunately same with round rungs now so that rules out pointers as well. Good job I made my own pointer with 3 inch rungs happy feet!
how did you make your own pointer?  how did you get the metal to bend nicely  etc    

or did you add a pointey piece of metal to the top end?  even more top-marks to you if you splayed out the ladder  feet somehow?