This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Moderator David@stives

Re: Time to catch up for the FED
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:04 pm »
I never criticised the guild, I only ever responded to people who said the guild was the same as the fed, if not better.

SOME guild members used to try to hoodwink window cleaners, that the guild was a trade association, which it clearly isnt. Now most people, sell it for what it is " a member organisation," I am cool with that.

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 09:56:15 pm »
Bryan,

To be honest I think you miss my point.
I'm sure you do well setting the standard for H&S with ladders etc, but you seriously need to find ways of reaching out to the regular window cleaner.

How are non members to benefit, see the point of joining or get to know about anything the Fed does if you cant communicate with us.

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 10:19:04 pm »
Stuart

Please name the ways to reach out

We do trade shows non members attend but will not join
we work to help the industry still will not join
Training still will not join
Work with the HSE still not join
WAHD everybody got something out of this one still not join
Industry seminars turn up get the info still not join
Guidence H&S still not join

EVERYBODY AS GAINED SOMETHING FROM WHAT THE FWC AS ACHIEVED FOR FREE

You get certain post on here saying we do not achieve and do anything for them

The price is a issue  but its cheaper than other assoisations ,

If i came on this site and said come join the FWC we have done this and that,can you understand the posts we would get back

The FWC as produced two training course iosh acredited for the window cleaning industry.
I do not need that training is crap ,been window cleaning 50 years dont need that,

Bryan

Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 11:11:26 pm »
Fair enough, I'll give it some thought and come up with some ideas. I'll sleep on it.
There obviously is a problem as 'people still wont join'.

Maybe you could trawl the forums asking that very question.

What stops you from joining the NFWC?

Why are you a member or the NFWC? (just for balance)

Then collate the info and discuss at the next meeting.

It may be simply that the FED is 'perceived' a cirtain way. I don't know, but first of all I think you should ask the question.

Maybe you could get an official FED member to supply comments on what it does whenever questions crop up on forums. (Thick skinned members only)

Maybe have an interactive Q&A on your web site regarding H&S

Free membership for a couple of months to really show the benefits of joining.

Send a pdf copy of the mag to any who would join your mailing list.

It's a bit like hoping to gain customers without advertising or canvassing, you have to reach out to get growth. Plus you have to offer something fairly unique.

Anyway I said I would sleep on it and I will, just wanted to make these suggestions as they were the first to come to mind.

PS. I'll lock this untill I have time to reply further.

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 07:33:01 am »
Ok heres a few more.

Get a 'focus group' together to evaluate the benefits of membership and what they want out of a trade organization.
Incude current, former and non members in equal measure.

Look into other trade orgs to see how they function.

Audit your new members procedure and the info you send out to any enquiry

Put together a package for new window cleaners for leagal and business advice. Do this for non members and if done well will create some loyalty to the FED

(With all the new shiners about over the past 2 years there are plenty to go at)

Get recommendations from current members, you could even offer some incentive for active recruitment.

I think I should join myself and help out from the inside, I'd be happy to audit your procedures.

When I think of more I'll post.

Dave Willis

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 01:58:16 pm »
I think the Fed needs a spokesperson who can communicate on a basic level, not get drawn into stupid arguments, drop all the abrieviations that no newcomer to the trade can understand eg WAHD, HSE, NFWC, DEFRA and plug away at grass roots level.
I have in the past had no interest in joining the fed mostly becuase I have no idea what it does, don't like the attitude of the people who do know and can't say I'm happy with parting with £90.

I haven't seen much sign of anyone trying to recruit members on here, maybe I've missed something.

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 03:22:07 pm »
There could also be a couple or three levels of membership.
One for businesses who want accreditation only and another for those that want the full package ie. legal advice and business advice.

Get an 0844 number and those who have paid the full amount get called back those who haven't pay for the call.

How about a mentoring system for newbies, again they pay an inflated premium for 3 months of advice from a nominated member while they are getting set up.

There could be additional membership levels depending on how you are set up ie trad, DIY, Pro-fit, and the mentoring system could then be tailored to the type needed.

A dedicated business managment Q&A section that can be added to the premium membership.

Any more and I will post later, I might even collate the info into one thread.

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 03:26:37 pm »
Bryan,

My number is on my website if you want to talk or feel free to e-mail.

Stuart

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 05:05:41 pm »
I like your enthusiasm sunshine, but things are always easier said than done.

The FWC may be imperfect, but there are a lot of UK window cleaners with far more issues than the FWC has, the biggest problem for the FWC is the window cleaner! Bryan has made the point often in his post about this indifference.

“Time to catch up for the FED” is the title of the thread; this may have some truth in it. But there are far more window cleaners out numbering the FWC’s membership figures who really do need to catch up.

Quite true, they need direction from somewhere then.

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
Stuart

Were have you been needed you years ago

Please give me a few days to look in to these  great suggestions

Thank you

Will definatly call you

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

Nick Wareham

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 02:28:39 am »
Hate to be negative, but...

There could also be a couple or three levels of membership.
One for businesses who want accreditation only and another for those that want the full package ie. legal advice and business advice.
I think what brian is saying is that getting anyone to join the fed, no matter the package, is an uphill struggle due to apathy.  Changing the packages wont change that.
Get an 0844 number and those who have paid the full amount get called back those who haven't pay for the call.
Very bad idea.  Punishing people for not being full members, hell, at least they are members at all.  Making them pay for a petty phonecall is just going to annoy them, not encourage them.

How about a mentoring system for newbies, again they pay an inflated premium for 3 months of advice from a nominated member while they are getting set up.
The problem here is, local window cleaners arent exactly going to be falling over themselves to help someone compete with them, are they?  Also, why should they share their years of experience for nothing?  If it was me, I woulnd't be helping no newbies.  Maybe harsh, but let em struggle like I did, after all nobody handed it to me on a plate.

Just my opinion, but none of these things tackle the basic problem, which is apathy.  seems to me the basic problem is that people are just not bothered.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 08:10:28 am »
I'm feeling a bit left out,.... I want to know how to improve the Guild!!??

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 08:23:15 am »
Your right Nick it is very negative.

It's that sort of negativity that holds organisations back.

When the first steam train was run people shouted, "It will never start" When it did they shouted "You'll never stop it"

Are you a current member?

I was simply demonstrating that given 10 minutes thought ideas can be brought to the table, some of which could work others maybe not.

1.Why would it not change it, if people want simple accreditation and a badge the guild has shown people will pay. If it then becomes a badge of the masses alls well, little work from the FED and money in the bank. If they want added services ie. legal help, business help, startup help they would pay for that kind of membership. Admittedly the FED needs to be the 'place to call' and it would need members like David Morris to chip in with their expertise to get such things as startup packages together or simple business packages together. The point is you make the product more attractive than it is at the moment for newbies and developing businesses.

2.With 0844 numbers the receiver of the call gets a small fee if a member pays £20 for basic membership calling a 0844 number would cause little problem if they have legal issues. A full member paying £100+ would get the call for free at their convienience. Personally I would opt for £20 and pay as I need the service. This is standard practice.

3.And as for not helping others out, there are hundereds of shiners on this site who HAVE been helped either on here or in person. You must hace a lack of confidence in your abilities to feel that you can't help someone else.

Nathanael,

Same as the above, tap into the current members knowledge. First to take on board wins in my view.

PS. I am availiable on a salary of £75k per year!  ;D

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 11:17:15 am »
Another thing an established not for profit org could do is to provide a app/widget/pc application for round organisation, what with the problem of profit making systems stopping or changing the system.

A competition to provide the best system could be run then the winner licences it to the FED. The FED could then guarentee contiuous useage. Again free for premium members and monthly sub for basic members.

The same could be done for an excel system but without the licencing.

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:19 am »
My price goes up with every suggestion.  ::)

p1w1

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47:10 am »
Quite then else your gonna bankrupt them  ;D
Joking aside you make some good points I recently joined the fsb the only reason for there legal support and if there any tax issues I know they will help.

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
surely a big thing that makes people decided where they want to go is value for money,  i think the guild is value for money,  where as the FWC isnt for a one man band,  prehaps it is for the big boys

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 03:13:24 pm »
surely a big thing that makes people decided where they want to go is value for money,  i think the guild is value for money,  where as the FWC isnt for a one man band,  prehaps it is for the big boys

I quite agree. At the present it doesn't seem value for money for 'OMB's' which is why the value has to be looked at both ways.

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 04:01:25 pm »
It prob IS value for money but doesn't SEEM it. Alot feel this for some reason, thats the FED's challenge to change PERCEPTION.

I'm not knocking the FED. I genuinly am trying to help.

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 04:05:41 pm »
Ewan,

Read the whole thread you will see I'm not axe grinding.