Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derek west

Re: Card payments
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 08:06:38 am »
yes of course details disappear after the transaction on a phone that hasn't been tampered with. you could easily be using an app that pretends to do the work but is actually storing the details to be used later for other purchases.
??? ??? ???

so someone lets you wander round there home, totally trusts you, quite often leaves money, cheque books / cards, valuables all round the house which we could easily half inch. then they turn round and say, "oh no! i'm not paying you by card, you could use my details later when i'm not there".

what about everyone else that takes cards, local garage, local kebab house, couldn't they do the same. or is it just carpet cleaners that are the scum of the earth and extremely stupid, cos lets face it. this type of crime would be  easily trackable.

SteveAllan

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:27 am »
yes of course details disappear after the transaction on a phone that hasn't been tampered with. you could easily be using an app that pretends to do the work but is actually storing the details to be used later for other purchases.

Oh please.

Adam P

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »
well it's my opinion and i'm shocked no one has had an issue with it yet. card fraud is no way easily trackable as you don't have to go spend it on something and get it delivered to your house, you can easily sell card details online and make money from it if you're getting 3/4 details every day.

there is plenty of bad carpet cleaners around who are their to simply get as much money from the customer as possible by doing f all, we all know this, customers know this, so why wouldn't there be one who realises this and then starts storing their details?

wynne jones

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 12:53:25 pm »
Totally agree with Derek, custies let you wander round their house full of valuable, private stuff and leave you to it, they quite often ask me to baby sit too while I'm cleaning the carpet (which I respectfully decline  ::) ) So I think it's fair to say people in general 'trust' tradesman which may be a bit nieve but that's how it is.

There's always a bad apple in any walk of life but you can't live a life assuming that of everyone.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »
And what's the difference between a card and a cheque? With a cheque you have name, address, account number and sort code.

If you're dishonest it will be easy enough to pass these details on as well.....

....and not to mention the security details of the house a well.

Rog

I'm not paranoid.............but why are there 2 men outside the house looking at me through a camera ???
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Adam P

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 01:17:29 pm »
And what's the difference between a card and a cheque? With a cheque you have name, address, account number and sort code.

you can't do anything with just sort code and account number, it's the 3 digits at the back that you need to complete a transaction online or a pin number to complete it with the terminal. at least this is what i'm told

wynne jones

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »
I believe what Dr Carpet says is true, but only because he's got an honest face. ;D

Steve Chapman

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »
The fact is lots want to pay by card so they will do it as it's convenient,

Any card can be cloned whenever you use it so there's always a risk,

At least with our customers most will know us or seen us about so less of a risk for them
Steve

derek west

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »

you can't do anything with just sort code and account number, it's the 3 digits at the back that you need to complete a transaction online or a pin number to complete it with the terminal. at least this is what i'm told

roger (dr carpet) was a bank manager for years and years, i'd maybe forget what you were told and listen to him. and yes he does have an honest face come to mention it. ;D

JandS

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 04:11:34 pm »
As soon as I stepped through the door of one house last
week the old couple came the other way and said we're
just nipping down to Morrisons while you do our suite.
Coffee, tea, sugar and milk all out for you.
They never even confirmed who I was to be honest.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 05:08:55 pm »
If your customers do not trust you then they wont use you, why on earth would they think you are going to copy the details of the card and order stuff online from their credit/debit card??  card fraud is a major problem and it has happened to me, but:

Not as a result of using a local carpet cleaning service, plumber, electrician, shop etc

it resulted from an internet transaction I made from a company in the USA. They had my card details, 3 digit security num, and my full address, and sold the details on.

Being able to take card payments is a very clear advantage for any business, so stop being so negative  :)

Kind regards,

Paul

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »
I used to use a payment system through vodaphone when I was with Hilliary Blinds before I went independent.

However what happened was you thought payment had gone through but somehow disapaired into Cyberspace.

Several months later you found out when Credit Control said you account was on  hold

Fotuantley my loss was not great but I do know some people who got into serious difficulties  because of the system.

We had a little wireless system to print receipts

wynne jones

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 07:25:33 pm »
Well whatever you think in a year or two unless your custy has cash you will have to use it anyway.

Ian I think things have improved from when Bucks Fizz were in the charts. ;D

Adam P

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
i'm not trying to be negative, just perhaps thinking it through and pointing out one concern. i'm not saying i wouldn't use the machine/phone system for taking payments, just how do people find customers perceive it. only negativity was the responses to my question tbh :/

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 08:34:44 pm »
Well whatever you think in a year or two unless your custy has cash you will have to use it anyway.

Ian I think things have improved from when Bucks Fizz were in the charts. ;D

You are the second person this week to tell me that ;D ;D ;D

I will get a complex. But Capris were great cars
Trouble with being a Pioneer you hit all snags first

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 08:41:57 pm »
My mate had a Capri 2.8, I used to have an Opel Manta GTE and we used to have races  :o we used to have shaved hair at the sides and a mullet on top and tight jeans with lyle and scott apparel (a bit like the youth wear now) ahh what goes around.

Used to pay £20 to have streaks put in my hair but nowadays I provide my own free.

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »
My mate had a Capri 2.8, I used to have an Opel Manta GTE and we used to have races  :o we used to have shaved hair at the sides and a mullet on top and tight jeans with lyle and scott apparel (a bit like the youth wear now) ahh what goes around.

Used to pay £20 to have streaks put in my hair but nowadays I provide my own free.

Shaun
i used to have a capri, 2.8 special with pepperpot alloys and funnily enough, used to race my mate who had a vauxhall magnum, yes shaved at the sides too with highlights, now its just shaved around the crown, well thats what i tell em anyhoo.

Ian Gourlay

Re: Card payments New
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 01:36:28 pm »
My mate had the opel

I had a Martin Shaw perm
Bring back the machines that you used to put card in and take an impression of it