This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonathan Spencer

Smears in sunlight
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:43:26 pm »
Right this might sound like a really stupid question but in sunlight from a certain angle I sometimes see smears.  I use fairy and change my rubber reguarly (that sounds rude) and seem to notice in this weather.  I do not think their is anything wrong with my technique and change my water regulary.

one of my customers said to me today that I left a few smears on a few of her windows and I ended up paranoid.  Is it just one of them things that the customer does not notice?

jouk45

Re: Smears in sunlight
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »
use gg3 or 4 with pure water, and your problems will disapear, best thing i ever did, i got the same results as you using fairy,

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:48:27 pm »
i'm sure more experienced trad guys will have a better answer but i don't think fairy helps.

have you tried squeegee off and glass gleem 3 or 4 - give much better clean.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »
there you go!  ;D
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

R W C™

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:50:00 pm »
Probably the insides mate........

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:50:29 pm »
use gg3 or 4 with pure water, and your problems will disapear, best thing i ever did, i got the same results as you using fairy,

I was thinking of using GG (I live in a soft water area).  So I would have to go out and buy pure water?

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:55:52 pm »
Soft/pure water is better than tap but not a requirement - GG3 will help you a great deal - if your area is hard water get gg4

Darran

jouk45

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:34 pm »
am sure if you asked here, there will be plenty of members that live in your area, that would sell you some no problem, or invest in a small di vessel and a bag of resin, that wont cost to much to buy,

chopsie

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:00:14 pm »
I got a trial of gg3, seems if you miss a bit you cant go back and mop it up as with W5 etc, there is not enough slip and the blade just squeaks and jumps around. Probably be better for more experienced guys who can trad really well. I will keep practising with it though.
chopsie

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 11:04:57 pm »
put a couple of drops of squeegee off ( sod the expense  :P ) in as well as gg3

no squeek and whizz over those windows.... :-*

better still....

WFP.. 8)

Darran

chopsie

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:34 pm »
put a couple of drops of squeegee off

It may be an obvious question...But why not just use squeegee off instead?
chopsie

pure tech

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 11:33:53 pm »
Regarding the smearing, is it where you have bladed or is it after detailing?

jouk45

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 11:49:08 pm »
put a couple of drops of squeegee off

It may be an obvious question...But why not just use squeegee off instead?
the shine is is better than anything else out there, you will get away with a few drops of washing up soap and still achieve a great shine on the glass,

chopsie

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 11:51:49 pm »
So if  I just put a few drops of W5 in with the gg3 you think it will work just as well then?
chopsie

mci services

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 12:20:49 am »
fairy, gg3, pure, and any other mix in bright sunlight you will get problems, learn to turn the squeegie to a shallow angle before you change direction. your rubber needs to be almost horizontal before you turn the squeegie

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 07:40:26 am »
Fairy , along with most washing up liquids have an agent called surfacer or whatever which is a polish by any other name. The idea is that when Mrs Housewife does the dishes and puts them on the draining board they look shiny. Mrs Housewife equates shiny with being clean. But actually surfacer is just a waxy agent which leaves a residue. Also fairy contains lanolin as well (for the hands) and that is sheep wool oil.

Get yourself down to Homebase, find the window cleaning section in the household dept and buy a 1 litre bottle of the green window cleaning soap. Its actually Unger Liquid but the last bottle I bought didn't have Unger on it. It doesn't froth up like fairy but it doesn't leave a residue either.

Don't expect all the residue on the glass to come off in one clean either. When I take on a new customer I can often tell if the previous cleaner had used fairy. 

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:35 am »
i used to have the same problem until i changed to gg3!im now changing over to wfp i have other problems now!!! :-\ :-\
price higher/work harder!

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 08:37:16 am »
Well it looks like I need to get myself a small bottle of GG3 then.  It made me really paranoid that someone would say something about it and as I do not quite have a full book yet I could not afford to lose any good customers.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 09:13:10 am »
GG3/4 with a drop of squeegy off.

Cant beat it.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 09:16:46 am »
cant see how using pure water trad is gonna make any difference as your applicator will be filthy anyway after one house!

but gg3 - yes, im starting with that for all houses, i never quite got on with it originally but i like the way the window come up and it seems to be much cleaner next time as it doesnt leave the windows as greasy as does fairy

and especially in direct sunlight its miles better