Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

brianbarber

Truckmount users- pre vac ?
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:03:28 am »
Hi guys

if using a truckmount machine is there ever a case for not pre vacuuming?

Many thanks

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

John Kelly

Re: Truckmount users- pre vac ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 08:09:24 am »
There are a lot more carpet cleaners who don't pre-vac than those that do.

derek west

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:14:29 am »
i never pre vac, i'm convinced it makes no difference unless your under powered or are bonneting, something that kieth robertson fell out with me about. ;D

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:37:19 am »
Whats Pre-vaccing ???

MAX Carpets

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:58:49 am »
I no understaond??

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 10:19:03 am »
If it looks "bit" free I dont pre-vac

If it is bitty then I do, just to get rid of the bigger bits..

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:25:18 am »
All non pre vaccers ,, check out ncca, iicrc procedures. It is ok banging on about training , if you then ignore and do it your way why bother with the training?

There are bits of grit and dust present that you can not see from 6 feet away whilst stood on a carpet , that no TM however powerful will ever suck out of a wet carpet.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mark_Jubb

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:28:24 am »
Always pre-vac, it's the way I was trained and have continued to do it, even when the customer says that she's done it.
But then again, I've not got a super sucky TM  ::)
If there isn't enough time to do the job right,  how do we find the time to go back and do it again when the customer is not happy ?   Do it right the 1st Time.
NCCA Member 1399.  Swindon, Wiltshire

Joe H

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:39:35 am »
I hear what you say Jason and I did reply that if the carpet looks clean of bits then I dont vac.
Yesterday I didnt adhere to that.
For some reason I vacd with the Sebo prior to prespray etc, even tho the carpet was looking very clean.
The filter on my Prowler was still catching bits which must have been in the carpet after I Seboed, and I think the Sebo is a good vac.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:52:45 am »
We always ask custys to pre vac first, then go at it with TM. I'm sure this will once again roll on and on and on and on.......................................

derek west

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:09:10 pm »
i did the training to help me decide how i wanted to clean. just cos someone tells me thats the way to do it doesn't mean i have too, remember that most training courses were written 20 30 years ago when truckmounts and 3 vacs weren't around.

richy27

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:52 pm »
only pre vac when i feel needed.

Buckland

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »
First thing is what does the carpet look like - on yer knees and dig into the pile with your fingernail - also have they vacced it and what sort of vac do they use and do they do it regular - these are all reasonable things to chat about and break the ice with as you are bringing stuff into the hallway (yes please white and no sugar) - most joes dont know what a beater bar is - which is fine its not their sort of thing or their business - but if they just use a crappy tesco 17.98 vac with a plastic head its going to show and you will need to vac no doubt about it -and 9 times out of ten I do - often its a practical thing too - lots of bigger bits will never get past the slot so if you aint vacced you end up picking them up!

Also I find alot of rentals and the like around me have sand from the little darlinks feet off the beach on em - now that is best got out with a vac initially - even then I had a job the other day when having pre-vacced anyway the rotovac was plastered with sand and lots in the inline too - also in small bedrooms where you cant do under the bed properly and the beds always been in the same position its good practice to vac under the beds coz it saves time later and looks really bad if you leave alot of dust and feathers under there - we are after all cleaning the carpets...

btw i just bought a Miele S720 for the carpets at home and it rocks - its got twin motors and if Miele made one that actually looked more like a commercial machine Id swap if for my bs36 without a backward glance
Buckland Carpet & Fabric Care :: 01590 688938
www.SteamCleanCarpetService.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »
We've had a Flexi5 on trial for a couple of weeks. It can dry vac and then brush in the pre-spray all in one machine. We were expecting it to make a difference but the pre-vaccing part of it made no difference whatsoever. Mind you, we are using a massively powerful Titan 875 Truck Mount, so that in itself pulls out far more deep down dirt than say a portable. So if you're using a portable perhaps pre-vaccing is best, just to make sure it's a top job.

Simon

markpowell

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 05:02:34 pm »
All non pre vaccers ,, check out ncca, iicrc procedures. It is ok banging on about training , if you then ignore and do it your way why bother with the training?

There are bits of grit and dust present that you can not see from 6 feet away whilst stood on a carpet , that no TM however powerful will ever suck out of a wet carpet.

Jason,
Do you still pass the van steering wheel through your hands at 10 to 2 ?
I know i dont, with the power of the equipment these days pre-vaccing is a waste of time on 90% of jobs, the customer has already done it with the likes of a dyson which is more than adequate for the job.
Mark

richie

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »
Mark,   
You are spot on with your post. 

I think its common sense,  if the carpet looks like it needs a vac then you do it.  Most domestic carpets will have been vaced prior to your arrival.

Richie.

derek west

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 05:42:53 pm »

Jason,
Do you still pass the van steering wheel through your hands at 10 to 2 ?
I know i dont, with the power of the equipment these days pre-vaccing is a waste of time on 90% of jobs, the customer has already done it with the likes of a dyson which is more than adequate for the job.
Mark

nail on the head

jasonl

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:41 pm »
Do you get on  your hands and knees ,and part the fibres and look at the grit left behind, because I have , after TM guys on here!

If you have ever seen the rug beater at Franklins ,you would vac every time.

I have been into the labs at CAMRASO  and seen how solids turn to mud ,then fall to the bottom of the carpet and then not be able to be vacced out by ANY vac.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

derek west

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 07:13:54 pm »
ive never had a complaint. so until i do, i aint pre vaccing, (unless i feel its needed which is down to my common sense)

and before anyone starts, i'm not knocking guys that do pre vac. if you feel you need to then really you should.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 07:16:14 pm »
In the early days we did used to pre-vac and I remember quite vividly a number of customers getting seriously offended at us hoovering her carpet, as if she couldn't do that herself. If you are going to pre-vac it had better be with something a lot more substantial than your average Dyson because your customer will have already done it, or most have.

Jason, Don't believe everything shown to you by a boffin in a laboratory.  ;D

Simon