This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jason Ryan

Re: Ironing Service
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 09:00:16 am »
Thing is also is if you dont have insurance and garments get burnt (or your accused of it) and you cant cover it then you could be well out of pocket (designer garments are expensive).

As Dash said practice on your own ironing and time yourself (though when it comes to others ironing you find you will be slower untill your more confident.

Dont charge per hour unless you in the client house (which wont be a pro service then with basic equipment) as some clients will argue that you took too long and should be quicker. Charge by weight (use fishing scales to weigh the ironing) or by item (check out other services on net and localy) but make sure either way you make a PROFIT.

Have you got transport? As most will want ironing picked up and deliverd.

As well as Gumtree, try an advert in local shops and if money tight then make your own leaflets on the PC (wont be great but will be ok to start) and above all get a website (make sure all you advertising has your web address on).

As i and others have said treat it as a BUSINESS from day 1 and you'll be glad you did. But dont expect much revenue for a while-building a business with loyal clients takes time and hard work.

J

emz_1988_8

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 03:10:33 pm »
This post is to steveallen, How much does your ironing lady do, as she does £10 per 30items but i would have thought she could at least do 60items an hour.

SteveAllan

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 04:47:24 pm »
You cant do 60 an hour to a good standard. Not sure what she gets each time, its always different. My misses just gives her a big basket and the bill is normally between £12 and £20. There is a few girls round my way doing it and they all seem to work off £10 per 30 items.

emz_1988_8

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:06 pm »
Ok thanks

suffolkclean

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 05:42:23 pm »
emz_1988_8 if you can iron 60 items per hour charging £10 for 30 items = £20 per hour which is what you should be working towards at least as £20 per hour minus your insurance, electricity, petrol if dropping off etc

Daria Taylor

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 08:37:03 pm »
Ok thanks

I agree with Jason, if you want to run a business you will need all those things, however if you just need some money to meet ends meet you can manage with just an ad in the local paper and a local shop. I know a friend of family did it few years ago and she was doing really well, after a while she had to get a lady helping her out 2 times a weeks, and all that just came from local newspaper. If you dont live in very affluent area then target areas which are and just an ad in a shop will do to start with. 60 garments an hour is very unrealistic, to do it to a good standard it will be very hard, unless ofcource you are very good and have great experience doing it.

if you need any other advise just e-mail me, i'm always happy to help.

regards
dash t

Daria Taylor

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »
You can still have a BUSINESS & fit it around your children thats the beauty of working for yourself. Thats what I've done since I had my children as babies at home, you can earn money, keep a book with your expenses how much your taking for yourself & take it from there. Thats how you can slowly start up your own business working at times to suit you. You tell the customer I can have it ready for eg. Monday. Do it cash in hand & you'll end up in trouble

Barbara,

how long you have been going for now? I hope you managed to find a new employee.

regards
dash t

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »
Well done for having a go.  ;D

A few years ago my wife did this as an extra for us. she charged £9 per hour at the time.
It may be better to do it by weight.

Do your own ironing and time yourself. Weigh at the start and work out how much you should charge per kg. Have a min charge. In time you will be able to work out how much it will be by the size of the bag.

Go to your local insurance brokers and get Public Liability and register with the National insurance. If you expect to make less that £5000 you are exempt NI. You wont pay tax either. You will need to inform the Tax Credits but remember the system of Tax Credits rewards work so if you earn £50 per week you wont loose £50 per week.

As for how much you should expect per hour anything from £9-£15 but remember if you charge by the weight the customer wont know your £ph and they dont need to either.

Keep a note of the weight for each customer and of all payments.

Hope this helps.

Stuart