Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

james roffey

How safe is this
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:14:42 pm »
I have just had a delivery of Ashbys stain guard and i am looking at providng this added service to my customers, as i use solvents for stain removal i did not really consider the health implications ??? but a customer today is interested in this additional service on her white wool berber and she asked could it be hazardous to her 2 year old son i reassured her but i thought to myself, shes right i must find out if this is completley safe when dry, is it hazardous when wet, i know i must wear suitable breathing apparatus etc, i looked on the container it says "fully polymerised flourocarbon resin >10% alkanes>90%" what is a safe procedure for application. one for you Doug a think :)

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: How safe is this
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:24 pm »
It's horrible when first applied as it gets air bourne and can make you feel a bit sick I was talking to a guy who used to work for Scotchcare services 20 years ago and he always said he was as high as a kite but it is a little heavy so it does settle fast IMO vacate the room and tell them to keep out.

Shaun

PS with solvent based protector secondary backed carpets can bubble but do go back to normal.

Nigel_W

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »
James,

I tend to think it doesn't matter if it is safe once dry because once your client smells the solvent and  sees you in your solvent resistant gloves and breathing apparatus she will not be happy. :o

Why don't you use a water based protector?

Nigel
www.designcare.co.uk

Mike_Roper

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:55:22 am »
I would never use a solent protector in someones home, or maybe only after they give go ahead as last resort. Its too risky to customers health if they have chest problems etc. It will also kill fish in a tank.
Did a suite years ago hat slipped through the net for retailer and wasnt done in warehouse.The old couples son was a fireman and gave me a right telling off when he found out.
As Nigel said use a waterbased one. I currently use Protect Nano from solutions.
Mike   

Joe H

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:37:26 pm »
James, you suprised me. You should know to trust Solutions stuff - I am also currently using their Protect Nano.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:39:55 pm »
Hi Guys

James, you shouldn't use a solvent based protector on carpets unless the ventiallation is extremely good and nobody is going to  use the premises for a couple of days.

Water based is the way to go and you will get lots of different views on the best one.

Cheers

Doug

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 03:59:47 pm »
I have found that ashbys staingard was brilliant regarding smell, the only problem I see with water based is the drying time. If a client has had a new carpet/suite protected they will not be impressed with a wet carpet (IMO) when they are waiting to get their furniture back. I have had problems with odour  from other solvent protectors.

Touch dry in 15mins with ventilation and no complaints yet.

"So basically its a big vax!"

murky

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »
Solvent protector on a carpet will probably make it stretch, unless its a dry warm day and you can open the doors windows to let it through.

The solvent wicks down onto the backing and stretches it. It will look like the beach, looks like the fitter didnt fit it properly.

Ask me how I know, wont do it again, the shop knew what I had done.

Use water based, just tell them to put heating on and open windows, it will dry in about 4 hrs and full protection in 36 hrs, and leave them with blue over shoes.

Just be professional about it, find out what time fitters are leaving and get round just after, or if they are the last job, be round first thing in the morning.

Murky