Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Salmon

CANVASSING
« on: June 16, 2005, 08:33:53 pm »
I an just starting up with WFP and want to cover my local part of the estate I live on.  There was a wc in my area a year a go (tradional) but I don't know if he is still there now.  What is the policy on advertising without checking if another wc is doing the area??  Will I get kneecapped??  I would be offering a different service  to him if he is still around (WFP for me).

What's your advise. ta

Re: CANVASSING
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 08:37:24 pm »
If the other wc is doing his job he won't lose any customer's so i would no be put off by that i would go ahead and canvass anyway if they are happy with current service's they won't take you on  ;D

Salmon

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 08:41:19 pm »
Thanks.  I was going to offer first clean discounted at £5 for (£8 normal price here for 3 bed semi.)  Is that 'cricket' of frowned upon??

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 08:46:03 pm »
the customer will probably like it !  I would't be bothered what anyone else thinks ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 08:48:04 pm »
I agree with all the above.

I wouldn't worry about 'some elses patch'.

There are no rules or even a gentlemans code except the obvious such as never try and put down another window cleaner and personnally, I'd never undercut to get work.

Your idea for a discounted first clean ............. dunno about that. We've never done that. I wouldn't think it'd make much difference but give it a try. You never know.

As for another window cleaner getting upset, that's never happened to us in 5 years. In fact it's been the opposite - we've got friendly with quite a few.

Cheers

Ross

Salmon

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 08:48:57 pm »
Thanks. If I have any come back I will say callum says it's OK ;D

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 08:51:29 pm »
V funny ! made me laugh! :D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 10:50:04 pm »
MATT 7 v 12
But if the other guy hasn't been around for a year why discount your prices?
It's a game of three halves!

steve k

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 11:16:38 pm »
I canvass any area I like the look of...the only people who contact you are the ones who the local wc is not cleaning. Sometimes you hit a rich vein and the area does not have a window cleaner. I had a woman ring me the other day and as usual, I asked her if she had a window cleaner in the area:
"yes, but he is a bit expensive"
"how much?" asks I.
"£8.00" she says.

Now at this point, it would have been easy to undercut the guy but that is not going to happen with me nor should it with anyone else!!
I said to her:
"thats not expensive, it`s at least what I would charge"
"oh..ok then, thanks" and she hung up.

I am adamant now that when I get the chance, I explain to people that a professional window cleaner commands a good wage and if you want a cheap cleaner to wipe a dirty rag around your glass for a couple of quid, then look elsewhere.
On this occasion, I like to think I did my bit in helping this other cleaner get another customer on his well priced round and educate another local that things are changing regarding our image.

Good luck
Steve

Salmon

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 11:32:44 pm »
Thanks to all.

So basically the rule seems to be you can canvas where you want but don't, knowingly, under cut.

Ta